Broken links on my profile page... not sorted yet.
Thread poster: Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:54
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Nov 12, 2002

Well, it\'s been a few days now and I\'m still experiencing broken links to all of my pics on my profile page (and even on colleagues\' pages - just check your own). It\'s not matter of browser, since the links appear broken with Netscape 6 as well. This is not very good, since as a marketing tool my page is now totally useless. Contacted support two days ago: no answer. Well, with this kind of (dis)service, I\'m definitively not going to renew my platinum membership, which will expire tomorrow.

A disappointed Giovanni

Direct link Reply with quote

Vesna Zivcic  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:54
German to Croatian
+ ...
A temporary problem Nov 12, 2002

It is only a temporary problem and the ProZ.com staff is working hard to put everything back in place as it used to be.

Let\'s be patient.

Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
A suggestion Nov 12, 2002

Good morning Giovanni,

I just had a look at your page, and I can see that the pictures are missing at the moment (as you stated).

My profile looks absolutely fine because I do not have any pics in the main body (center portion) of my profile.

If I was in your situation, and given that I know that Henry and his team are doing their best to get back to being fully operational, I would simply *temporarily* remove those picture links in my profile to avoid having all those broken icons. Your profile is really nice and informative *without* the pictures anyway...

You really do not need to have all those pictures to make your page special... YOU are very special just as you are!

It does not take much time to remove them (or if you want to save the whole current set-up that you have on your page, just copy and paste your current html-text into a .txt file, save it on your hard drive, and then it will just be a matter of copying/pasting it back into your profile once the site is fully operational again.

...and your page will look much better (for the time being) than if you leave it as is.

I understand that it is not your fault or that it should not be your problem, but I feel that showing some compassion and some patience in this situation will pay off in the end.

I just thank the stars that we are able to have most of Proz *back* as normal.

You can bet the lot that Henry and his team will make sure this will never happen again - as they would naturally stand to lose a lot!

Unfortunately, there are only so many hours in a single day, priorities must be set, and I feel that we will all benefit if we show some patience (considering the extensive server damage that Proz suffered).

I would certainly think that if you had a major hardware problem and having to work hard at fixing up your systems, that you would ask for your customers to be patient with you.

Nathalie (Just another Platinum member who has gained so much from Proz)

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-11-12 11:21 ]

Carlos Moreno  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 19:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
Let us make some points clear: Nov 12, 2002

Dear colleague:

First of all, ProZ is the biggest community of translators in the world.

The ProZ web page is one of the best crafted pages in the world. It handles a list in excess of 38,000 professionals in many languages, forums in many subjects (in many languages), kudoz, job bids, etcetera, and everything has an excellent system of links that makes it sooo easy to go from a bid or a kudo to a professional\'s page...

This system works round the clock all year. It is based in computers that, believe me, are different from those at your home. But accidents do occur... and in a high traffic page like this, they just happen to be more visible than in a low-traffic site. And I am sure that the new equipment will be much bigger, to handle the really tough work they must endure. Which means it cannot be just taken from a store shelf: it has to be custom made.

If you want to have your own webpage, go ahead. Just remember to have it up and running nights, weekends, all year long. Publicize it thoroughly, so that everyone in the field knows it exists. It is not that difficult.

Personally, I will stay here. The guys at ProZ do an excellent job, so I can concentrate in translating.

And enjoy your work, as I enjoy mine!

Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Well said Carlos :-) Nov 12, 2002

Very well said Carlos

Nathalie

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 20:54
SITE FOUNDER
We'll try to sort this out Nov 12, 2002

Giovanni,

You are one of the people who makes best use of the ability to upload your own images and incorporate them into the profile. Sorry this is broken! We should get some time to look at that today.

Henry

Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Just a suggestion, not criticism... Nov 12, 2002

I fully understand Giovanni\'s disappointment and also fully understand difficulties ProZ.com is currently undergoing. But I guess that the problem is bigger than only graphics at profile pages (mine are gone as well..)It is related to the fact that the www.proz.com/home area is no longer accessible - and this a place where graphic files are uploaded (if I understand it correctly). Another effect of this situation is that some users used proz.com/home (+ their number) pages to provide lists to glossaries - I know at least one collegue who collected a large library and now this link does not respond as well. I am absolutely sure that ProZ.com staff will do their best (as they always do) to correct this and this is just a matter of time.

Good day to you all,

Magda

Gideon van Zoest
German to Dutch
+ ...
I am experiencing problems, too Nov 12, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-11-12 08:55, Verbum Ltd. wrote:

Well, it\'s been a few days now and I\'m still experiencing broken links to all of my pics on my profile page (and even on colleagues\' pages - just check your own). It\'s not matter of browser, since the links appear broken with Netscape 6 as well. This is not very good, since as a marketing tool my page is now totally useless. Contacted support two days ago: no answer. Well, with this kind of (dis)service, I\'m definitively not going to renew my platinum membership, which will expire tomorrow.

A disappointed Giovanni

My personal website, made via Proz is lost. I reported this, got the answer that everything seemed to work fine. And guess what? It does not, indeed! Since than, I haven\'t got any reply on my questions anymore.

Fortunately, I have got a mirrorsite at another provider. However, all the links in the search engines are leading towards a dead end now.

I really hope the problem will be solved, soon.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:54
Member (2004)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
sorted! Nov 13, 2002

Thanks to Henry and to the support team for sorting this out so quickly! I do appreciate that accidents happen and that it\'s not easy to manage a huge site... nevertheless, I would like to see a site status message on the home page, so we know what the real issues are, without having to dig them out of the support pages. Will I renew? Probably, since it\'s \"only\" 100 bucks until Sunday...

Thanks to all for the feedback.

Giovanni

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Broken links on my profile page... not sorted yet.

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs