Installing font on Macos9
Thread poster: Arnaud HERVE

Arnaud HERVE  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:57
English to French
+ ...
Nov 17, 2002

Hi, I\'m doing a translation on Quark for mac.

The client provided me with the relevant fonts. Font files came without extensions in names, and Macos9 refuses to understand it is fonts, although it came from a mac.

Please tell me what sort of extensions I must write after names, or another solution.

Sometimes you wonder why few people work on mac (sigh) ...

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
As far as I know, there are no extensions on MAC fonts Nov 17, 2002

Have you tried simply to copy them to the system folder, where other fonts are stored?

It has worked in my case.

Sorry, I do not know much about MACs and do really not know the appropriate English terminology, but I´m sure you´ll find what I mean.

You need to open your hard disk, then search for the system folder, open it and serch a folder with fonts. Then copy the fonts you get from their source into the folder with oter fonts. Perhaps it will help.

Or try using the free version of Adobe Type Manager Lite. It can be downloaded here:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=15&platform=Macintosh

Jerzy

Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
what kind of fonts do you have? Nov 17, 2002

Under Mac OS 9, NO files require extensions (the Mac OS and Mac applications do not use extensions).

Fonts are normally placed in the Fonts folder, unless you have some some of font managemen utility (e.g. Suitcase, Symbionts, Adobe Type Manager Deluxe) that allows them to be placed elsewhere. If you place fonts in the Fonts folder, you may have to restart the Mac before you can use them.

Another consideration is: do you have TrueType fonts or PostScript fonts? If you have PostScript fonts, you need Adobe Type Manager (Lite or Deluxe).

Also, are you sure the fonts are Mac fonts? If they are WIndows fonts, they cannot be used on the Mac (although you can get conversion utilities to convert Windows TT fonts to Mac TT fonts).

Have a look at www.myfonts.com/support/help_install_mac.html or www.macdisk.com/fontsen.php3.

Good luck!

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
One additional thought Nov 17, 2002

I have had a problem with MAC fonts, which were packed on a PC - MAC refused to see them as fonts, they were all \"PC\" (unknown).

Perhaps you should ask your customer to pack the fonts with MAC and send them packed, as it is possible, that otherwise the get damaged in Internet, or they become some PC traces or so.

In my case the customer send me packed fonts (with Stuffit), I downloaded them with PC, copied on a floppy and entpacked on MAC - then they worked.

Jerzy

Arnaud HERVE  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks a lot Nov 17, 2002

Thank you for you two.

Yes I knew the normal procedure for installing fonts, that is well documented.

The problem looks like what Jerzy describes. Only this time the system wants to consider it is TeachText files. Even in the Fonts directory.

I will ask the client what to do tomorrow morning. They do that all day long. They should know.

Thanks again.

Arnaud

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Installing font on Macos9

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs