Spellcheck in Excel
Thread poster: Charles Tippie

Charles Tippie  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 19, 2002

Im trying to spell check on column in excel and it keeps saying that the formula is too long. Has anyone had similar problems?

Direct link Reply with quote

Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 09:00
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
copy and paste to Word Nov 19, 2002

When I have to run spellcheck on an xls file, I copy and paste the relevant cells into Word and do it there. Once finished, you can copy/paste it back easily into Excel.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Spell-check in Excel Nov 19, 2002

Even if the idea of Csaba is brillant, you can try to stay in Excel (and you must, if you have different versions of Word and Excel in your PC, ie. Word 2000 with Excel 97, as the copying of cells does not work proper then).

You have to select the column you will do spell-checking in, then via Extras select the cell formatting and define the cells as \"only text\" or \"simple text\" or \"plain text\" (I do not know the proper English name, as I use german Excell).

After that, Excell should stop to tell anything about to long fomrulas, as the program then knows, that there are no formulas in those cells.

HTH

Jerzy

United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
###### in the cell Nov 19, 2002

Jerzy,

Thank you for your help. After I followed your directions ########## appeared in the cell block. If I click on it the writing appears perfectly but Im not sure why ###### appears. Can you offer any more sugesstions?

Thank you very much.

Charles

United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
###### in the cell Nov 19, 2002

Jerzy,

Thank you for your help. After I followed your directions ########## appeared in the cell block. If I click on it the writing appears perfectly but Im not sure why ###### appears. Can you offer any more sugesstions?

Thank you very much.

Charles

Judy Rojas  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 03:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
Resize the cell Nov 19, 2002

The #### symbol appears when the cell is too small for the contents. Just resize the cell and you will be able to see the text.

HIH

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Ricardo knew the trick Nov 19, 2002

You can either resize the cell or make the text smaller (10 points instead of 12 ie.)

Try to ask Excell\'s help - or to look for a term in help files. Microsoft help files are usually very good - I learned almost everything I know about Word and co. from help files and using those programs.

Jerzy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spellcheck in Excel

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs