Why is the home page wider than the screen? (staff: 'thanks, fixed')
Thread poster: Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:49
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Feb 20, 2007

Suddenly I find the ProZ home page is two and a half inches wider than the screen so needs scrolling from side to side to see all of it. This applies in both Firefox and Internet Explorer. Is this just a temporary glitch?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-02-21 12:54]

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
Trados banner Feb 20, 2007

I think it's because the Trados banner is so wide. Once it's changed, it'll be normal again.

Anni

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Test system? Feb 20, 2007

It was ok earlier without the Trados ad, and now it is as you describe, so the conclusion is....

What with this minor hiccup and all the fuss yesterday about companies appearing in the freelancers list, it makes you wonder if Proz actually has a test environment, or whether they just chuck new stuff in, and see what happens.... It ain't very professional, whichever way you look at it...

Hipyan Nopri
Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 15:49
Member (2005)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Recovered Feb 20, 2007

Hi Jack,

On my screen, it has been recovered to normal conditions now.

Colin Brady
Colin Brady  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 05:49
French to English
+ ...
Hi All Feb 20, 2007

I just hacked the image down a bit. It should now fit neatly on your screen, but maybe not if your resolution is 800x600.

Colin

Jack Doughty
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Thank you, Colin. Feb 20, 2007

It is back to normal on my screen now.

Anne Patteet
Anne Patteet  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:49
English to French
+ ...
I had the same problem Feb 20, 2007

and am happy to see it's been solved. Although I have a wide screen, I don't like to have a huge window opened: I use my screen to work with files/windows side-by-side.
By the way, I'm not crazy about that (what I consider "macho") guy opening his shirt to show the new Trados... Blah!

Jack Doughty
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Nor the woman before him Feb 20, 2007

I wasn't crazy about that smug-looking woman in the previous ad either.

Jackie Bowman
Jackie Bowman

Local time: 04:49
Spanish to English
+ ...
I didn’t see this problem … Feb 20, 2007

… and I’ve been looking at the site from time to time during the day.

Do you use Internet Explorer? I use Mozilla, a great browser. There’s a fantastic little add-in to it: ‘adblock’. If there’s an irritating ad image on your screen, you just right-click on it and you can make the image disappear instantaneously. Works great on most sites.

When you’ve made the irritant disappear, for example, you can collaborate, expand your business and have more fun �
... See more
… and I’ve been looking at the site from time to time during the day.

Do you use Internet Explorer? I use Mozilla, a great browser. There’s a fantastic little add-in to it: ‘adblock’. If there’s an irritating ad image on your screen, you just right-click on it and you can make the image disappear instantaneously. Works great on most sites.

When you’ve made the irritant disappear, for example, you can collaborate, expand your business and have more fun – without ever being subjected to anything like “Buy Wammo Window Cleaner: It’s Amazing” on every occasion that you want to collaborate, expand your business or have more fun.

Best wishes to all.
Collapse

Anne Patteet
Anne Patteet  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:49
English to French
+ ...
True! Feb 20, 2007

Jack Doughty wrote:

I wasn't crazy about that smug-looking woman in the previous ad either.

That is not necessary here on ProZ IMO. I'm big enough to know if I want to buy Trados or anything else or not, without all this. Until now I appreciated very much the fact that I was not bombarded by all sorts of pictures, blinking ads, banners or whatever on this site.
While I understand that if "the site" has more money, it will be able to have more people to serve it, and I also understand that growth is natural, I wouldn't like to open ProZ and find one more of those commercial sites. For me ProZ has been a nice, professional site (I have been a reader for a while before I registered). Now that I became a member, as many who are taking the same step, I find it is becoming so much more commercial, with ads blinking in the corner of my eye as I write this post...
I'm not sure I'm the only one feeling this way.

Harry Hermawan
Harry Hermawan  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 15:49
English to Indonesian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Yes...about the ads Feb 21, 2007

Anne Patteet wrote:
Now that I became a member, as many who are taking the same step, I find it is becoming so much more commercial, with ads blinking in the corner of my eye as I write this post...
I'm not sure I'm the only one feeling this way.

The feeling is the same. I'm not sure now though where Proz.com is going with its new marketing plan, even though we get to bring inputs.

Well, wait n see it seems is the best practice at the moment.

Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 11:49
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Hi Jackie Feb 21, 2007

Do you use Internet Explorer? I use Mozilla, a great browser. There’s a fantastic little add-in to it: ‘adblock’. If there’s an irritating ad image on your screen, you just right-click on it and you can make the image disappear instantaneously.

I just wanted to right-click on the image, but then noticed you were wearing long hair now. Anyway, nice image, too, so I decided to not right-click on it. OK, sorry, I still have to collaborate, expand my business and have more fun, so good luck with your new hairstyle.

Jackie Bowman
Jackie Bowman

Local time: 04:49
Spanish to English
+ ...
Hi Kirill Feb 21, 2007

Kirill Semenov wrote:

Do you use Internet Explorer? I use Mozilla, a great browser. There’s a fantastic little add-in to it: ‘adblock’. If there’s an irritating ad image on your screen, you just right-click on it and you can make the image disappear instantaneously.

I just wanted to right-click on the image, but then noticed you were wearing long hair now. Anyway, nice image, too, so I decided to not right-click on it. OK, sorry, I still have to collaborate, expand my business and have more fun, so good luck with your new hairstyle.

I'm pretty certain your post is 'on-topic', though I can't really see how. But thanks for it, anyway. And thanks for not right-clicking on my hair. Your post was really funny, I ... er .. think. Perhaps humour in Ukraine differs from humour elsewhere. But it was great, anyway. And thanks again for it. A really valuable contribution.

PS Love your image, by the way. It's so llamativa, la imagen

[Edited at 2007-02-21 23:46]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why is the home page wider than the screen? (staff: 'thanks, fixed')

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »