Thread poster: Ivana UK

Ivana UK  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:15
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Mar 1, 2007

Over the past few months, I've noticed that the Kudoz glossary search isn't working as it should.

More often than not, a search appears inconclusive - even when I am sure a specific term is there (having asked or answered such a question in the past). More time passes, more this seems to happen.

At first I thought this was because someone had sifted through the glossaries, removing duplicate entries (sometimes, where there used to be multiple glossary entries for a specific term, there is now just one entry and not necessarily the best translation either).

Today I checked the glossary for the IT>EN translation of "Inagibilità", which generally means that a building is "unsafe" or "unfit for use", depending on context. Now, I know that there were multiple entries for inagibilità in the glossary as I've seen the term crop up several times, yet the glossary search tells me:

KOG Results: 0
Kudoz Archive Results: 0
Personal Glossary Results: 0

Okay, so I may have been mistaken. So I do an internet search on yahoo and google and come up with the following Kudoz Glossary entry:

KudoZ) Italian to English translation of inabitabilità: uninhabitability [Lease ... l'inabilitabilità o inagibilità degli immobili può essere ...

(funnily enough it's one that I answered, although now that I've checked it, it does in fact refer to a different term - inabitabililità)

One of the benefits of being a paying member of is that of having full, unrestricted access to the glossary, yet my access is definitely restricted and has been for some time.

I wonder if anyone else has noticed this?

[Edited at 2007-03-01 14:35]

[Edited at 2007-03-01 14:38]

[Edited at 2007-03-01 14:52]

Direct link Reply with quote
Will Matter  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:15
+ ...
I've noticed this, too. Mar 1, 2007

I frequently have difficulty finding terms that I KNOW exist (because I've answered the KudoZ question that contains them) and if you think it's bad for the Romance languages try searching for something in Japanese, Chinese or Russian. IMHO, a site like this should have a search engine that *always* works (regardless of the language pair or how the term being searched for is spelled). If I enter kanji / hanzi / Cyrillic for a term that I *know* that I have answered I should see (at an absolute minimum) a reference or link to the question that I have answered. Just having something that seems to only work well with the Roman alphabet (and a few of its offshoots) is less than satisfactory. The older search function (prior to the "revamp") worked much, much better (IMHO) and I dearly, dearly miss it. Sometimes "fixing" what isn't broken isn't an improvement.

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:15
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
never found anything yet Mar 2, 2007

I have never found anything yet that I was looking for in the KudoZ glossaries, even when, like Ivana, I have answered or agreed with it myself. One problem is that the glossary can only search for a word exactly as it was entered. For example if someone has entered the past tense of a verb and you are searching for the infinitive, then it comes up with a blank. To be useful, there should be certain rules for entering terms and the glossary would need regular editing.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Kudoz glossary search doesn't find glossary entries

Advanced search

Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs