Customize Listed Forums - How does it work?
Thread poster: Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 16:30
Spanish
+ ...
Jun 14, 2007

Apparently there's a way to manually select the forums on the homepage. At first I thought this was a great feature because I was interested in reading forums in languages I don't work with. However, selecting other languages doesn't work, I tried to add the Portuguese and French forums but I don't see any of those forums on my homepage. Is there a way to activate this feature or is it not ready yet?

Mihai Badea (X)
Mihai Badea (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
Possible solution Jun 14, 2007

Hi Claudia,

I’ve played a bit with this function and my conclusion is that currently you cannot see fora in languages other than yours on the home page (this may be a bug). What you could do in order to use this new function immediately is adding Portuguese and French as languages of interest in your profile. It worked for me so I suppose it should work for you as well.

... See more
Hi Claudia,

I’ve played a bit with this function and my conclusion is that currently you cannot see fora in languages other than yours on the home page (this may be a bug). What you could do in order to use this new function immediately is adding Portuguese and French as languages of interest in your profile. It worked for me so I suppose it should work for you as well.

[Edited at 2007-06-14 21:50]
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 16:30
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Done Jun 14, 2007

Thank you Mihai, I didn't think of that workaround.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:30
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
How to eliminate certain forums? Jun 15, 2007

Mihai Badea wrote:

Hi Claudia,

[Edited at 2007-06-14 21:50]

Hullo Mihai,
I've also tried to customise the forums I receive without success. I wanted to eliminate questions about Trados as I don't use it and there are so many. I tried "unticking" Trados in the customise list, but I still get the forums. Not a major problem, but I'd like to know.
Kind regards,
Jenny.

Mihai Badea (X)
Mihai Badea (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
That’s strange. It should work. Jun 15, 2007

Hello Jenny,

It should be possible to eliminate any forum. When did you try to customize? If it was before yesterday, I would suggest you trying again (it’s a new function, the staff may have made some adjustments in the meantime).

Yesterday, I was successful in eliminating all the fora. I’ve tried that again today and it worked without any problem.

[Edited at 2007-06-15 08:16]

Jon Peck
Jon Peck  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:30
English
How the customized listed forums work: Jun 15, 2007

Claudia (et al.),

When retrieving the list of forums for display on the homepage, a number of criteria are used. Specifically, the topics must be visible, public, not in your customized list, marked as a homepage topic, marked as work related, not a glosspost, and in the combined list of your source and target languages.

When you create a customized list of forums, you check the ones you want to display. Behind the scenes the system creates a blacklist where the forum
... See more
Claudia (et al.),

When retrieving the list of forums for display on the homepage, a number of criteria are used. Specifically, the topics must be visible, public, not in your customized list, marked as a homepage topic, marked as work related, not a glosspost, and in the combined list of your source and target languages.

When you create a customized list of forums, you check the ones you want to display. Behind the scenes the system creates a blacklist where the forums you didn't check are specifically exclude from the customized forum list.

That particular feature hasn't been modified after it was created about six weeks ago except to fix a bug in the database that affected how the list was saved.

If you're having difficulty getting a forum to be included or excluded in your custom list and it fits within the criteria I listed above, let me know and I'll take a look at it. Please include the forum name that you're trying to include or exclude so I can troubleshoot it.

Thanks for your feedback!

Sincerely,
Jon Peck
ProZ.com Staff
Developer, Jr. Systems Administrator
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Customize Listed Forums - How does it work?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »