computer screen
Thread poster: mmachado (X)
mmachado (X)
mmachado (X)
English to Portuguese
Jan 12, 2003

Hello All,

I use a conventional computer screen but lately everybody around here (Portugal) seems to be changing their common computer screens and getting the new TFT screen. Is there any scientific study prooving the TFT screens are much better than the common screens in terms of health? Is there any proofs or is just a marketing tool so far... I have used this common screen for a long time and following all scientific advices related to HSE and computer screens I have not
... See more
Hello All,

I use a conventional computer screen but lately everybody around here (Portugal) seems to be changing their common computer screens and getting the new TFT screen. Is there any scientific study prooving the TFT screens are much better than the common screens in terms of health? Is there any proofs or is just a marketing tool so far... I have used this common screen for a long time and following all scientific advices related to HSE and computer screens I have not yet noticed any trouble with it, but would like to know more.

If you have any opinion on this please advise

Kind regards,

Mónica Machado
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:56
English to German
+ ...
Nothing scientific - just my own experience Jan 12, 2003

I have been using two 18-inch TFT displays for about one-and-a-half years now. I work long hours at the PC, and I must say I find them easier on my eyes (the only scientific support is that the required strength of my glasses has actually decreased, but that may be unrelated...).

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Well, not really scientific Jan 12, 2003

But since there is no high voltage in LCD screen they do not emit any (or almost any) radiation, unlike the usual CRT, which - even with the best standards covered - must emit radiation.

But more important is what Ralf says - you will find an increased view quality. Even taking a cheap LCD it will deliver better picture as some good CRTs.

And LCDs are getting cheaper - check here for example: www.ecost.com .... See more
But since there is no high voltage in LCD screen they do not emit any (or almost any) radiation, unlike the usual CRT, which - even with the best standards covered - must emit radiation.

But more important is what Ralf says - you will find an increased view quality. Even taking a cheap LCD it will deliver better picture as some good CRTs.

And LCDs are getting cheaper - check here for example: www.ecost.com .

If you plan to buy one, select one with brand name, as than your chance of getting one without pixel errors is greater. If you choose one with a DVI connection, you will get better view quality, but it could force you to change to a new graphic card, if your old one does not support DVI and the screen has only a DVI connection.

I use a TFT monitor since summer 2002 - and I´m really glad I bought it. My eyes get not tired as fast as it was before, and I was using a huge CRT with 21\" and very good quality.

Kind regards

Jerzy
Collapse

lien
lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
Two reasons Jan 13, 2003

1. You wouldn\'t have anymore this huge space taken on your desk (specially in the depth)

2. The quality of the screen is much much better for the eyes

Lien

mmachado (X)
mmachado (X)
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to all of you Jan 15, 2003

Hello,

Thanks for your comments. It\'s really nice to have your opinions. I see it is something I should learn more about it. Maybe I should consider buying one...

All the best

Mónica

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

computer screen

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »