https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_technical_support/8163-staff_not_receiving_email_notifications_read_this.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
(Staff) Not Receiving Email Notifications? Read This.
Thread poster: Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Local time: 19:53
SITE STAFF
Jan 31, 2003

In an ongoing effort to improve email performance, we\'ve changed the headers in our bulk email notifications. Now the notifications are more like messages to a mailing list, rather than an individual email to a single recipient. Unfortunately, some ISPs unintentionally block mailing lists like this in an attempt to filter spam.

If you are not receiving job posting, forum tracking, or (if you are a non-platinum member) KudoZ email notifications, there is a good chance th
... See more
In an ongoing effort to improve email performance, we\'ve changed the headers in our bulk email notifications. Now the notifications are more like messages to a mailing list, rather than an individual email to a single recipient. Unfortunately, some ISPs unintentionally block mailing lists like this in an attempt to filter spam.

If you are not receiving job posting, forum tracking, or (if you are a non-platinum member) KudoZ email notifications, there is a good chance that your ISP is filtering them. Please take the following steps to try to resolve the problem.

ProZ.com webmail at everyone.net

• Click the \"Options\" button on the left side of the screen.
  • Under \"Mail Handling\", click the \"Bulk Mail Handling\" link.
  • The drop down list labeled \"When receiving bulk mail I want to\" will determine what happens to your ProZ.com email notifications. If it is set to anything other than \"Treat it normally\", you probably aren\'t receiving ProZ.com notifications in your Inbox.

If you want to continue to treat other bulk mail specially, you can add a filter to explicitly deliver your ProZ.com notifications to your Inbox. To do this, perform the following actions.

• Click the \"Options\" button on the left side of the screen.
    • Under \"Mail Handling\", click the \"Block Filters\" link.
    • Click the \"Add Filter\" button.
    • Set up a filter like the following:

If To or CC contains

the phrase [email protected]

then deliver to INBOX

• Click the \"Add Filter\" button.

Hotmail

• Click the \"Options\" link near the top right of the screen.
  • Under \"Mail Handling\", click the \"Mailing Lists\" link.
  • In the text field labeled \"Type a single e-mail address\", type:

[email protected]

• Click the \"Add >>\" button.
  • Click the \"OK\" button.

Yahoo Mail

• Click the \"Mail Options\" link near the upper right of the screen.
  • Under \"Management\", click the \"Block Addresses\" link.
  • If a proz.com address is in the text field labeled \"Remove Block\", highlight the proz.com address and click the \"Remove Block\" button.
  • Click the \"Back to Mail Options\" link near the top of the screen.
  • Under \"Management\", click the \"Filters\" link.

If proz.com is listed in the filter list, verify that the filter is doing what you expect with the messages. To remove a filter altogether, highlight it and click the \"Delete\" button.

Other ISPs

Send an email like the following to the support department of your ISP. Their email address is likely support@your_isp_domain.com.

--BEGIN SAMPLE SUPPORT REQUEST--

I am subscribed to a mailing list at ProZ.com, but I don\'t receive the mailing list messages sent to my account, [insert your email address here]. I suspect that you are mistakenly filtering these messages as spam.

The mailing list messages come from [email protected]. The \'To\' header of these mailing list messages is:

To: \"ProZ.com Member\" <[email protected]>

If you are indeed filtering these messages, would you please adjust the filter to allow them through? Thank you.

--END SAMPLE SUPPORT REQUEST--

If you have to take different steps than those described here in order to get your ISP to remove a filter blocking ProZ.com email notifications, please post that information in this thread in order to benefit other members.

Collapse

schwensen (X)
schwensen (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:53
Spanish to Danish
+ ...
ISP says no filters and I still don't receive any mails Feb 6, 2003

I\'ve talked to my ISP and they have assured me that they are not using any filters, like others. So... any other clue? I haven\'t received any Kudoz nor job notifications since the middle of December! (only answers to my own questions)

Best regards,

Anna

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
terra.es being uncooperative Feb 6, 2003

Anna,

terra.es (and by extension the other domains they handle mail for such as teleline.es) is accepting ProZ.com email notifications from our mail servers, and then dropping them without notice at some point before they reach users\' mailboxes. Unfortunately, they don\'t seem interested in helping ProZ.com staff or their own users resolve this problem.

We are working on a solution to evade the filters at such uncooperative ISPs, but it will take some
... See more
Anna,

terra.es (and by extension the other domains they handle mail for such as teleline.es) is accepting ProZ.com email notifications from our mail servers, and then dropping them without notice at some point before they reach users\' mailboxes. Unfortunately, they don\'t seem interested in helping ProZ.com staff or their own users resolve this problem.

We are working on a solution to evade the filters at such uncooperative ISPs, but it will take some time to implement.

In the meantime, if possible, try using a different email account for your ProZ.com email notifications. A free account at everyone.net or hotmail.com might be a useful temporary solution.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

jg
Collapse

tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
to Anna... Feb 6, 2003

Jason\'s hit the nail on the head. I had the same problem as you, i.e., I was not receiving e-mails of any type. Having had past experience with teleline/terra and their filters (and having received the same runaround as you, rather than any attempt at a solution), I switched my Proz mail contact address to a Yahoo.es account. The problem was solved immediately. You might want to try the same (I recommend Yahoo over Hotmail, by far.)

schwensen (X)
schwensen (X)  Identity Verified
Spanish to Danish
+ ...
Problem solved Feb 14, 2003

Oh, you were so right! I changed to Yahoo, and now I´m \"back in again\"! A wonderful feeling!

Now I just have to think about how to get Terra to \"bite the carpet\" as we say it in Danish. But that´s another story.

Best regards, and thank you for your help.

Anna

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
terra.es and teleline.es customers should be receiving email now Feb 21, 2003

We have implemented a work-around that should allow ProZ.com email notifications to reach customers of ISPs that refuse to adjust their mailing list filters. Currently, we apply this fix to email delivered to terra.es and teleline.es. More ISPs will be added to this list as necessary.

If you are a customer of one of these ISPs and still aren\'t receiving email notifications, please let us know.

tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
doesn't look like terra/teleline is fixed yet Feb 21, 2003

Jason, after I saw your note this morning, I changed my profile information to give my teleline e-mail address another try. I just changed it back to Yahoo after about 5 hours, because I see on the page that there are 9 new Kudoz questions and 1 peer grade whose notifications never got here.

If any of these missing e-mails come straggling in, I\'ll let you know.

Karlo Heppner
Karlo Heppner  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:53
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Now I receive mails again. Feb 25, 2003

From 23 . Febr. I am getting again emails from Proz.

As a matter of fact, to solve a problem like this one, should not take 3 months.

Greetings

Karlo

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Karlo, did you read the various threads? Feb 25, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-02-25 13:41, karlo1 wrote:

As a matter of fact, to solve a problem like this one, should not take 3 months.

Greetings

Karlo

It may have escaped your attention, Karlo, but site staff clearly indicated that the problems were related to the handling of mail sent by ProZ.com was dropped by several Spanish ISP\'... See more
Quote:

Greetings

Karlo

It may have escaped your attention, Karlo, but site staff clearly indicated that the problems were related to the handling of mail sent by ProZ.com was dropped by several Spanish ISP\'s... ▲ Collapse

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Karlo, Thanks For Your Input Feb 25, 2003

Quote:

As noted above, a few ISPs, such as terra.es, have refused to remove spam filters that have been blocking ProZ.com email notifications. We\'ve been working on adjusting the way we send our mail in order to evade these filters, but it\'s difficult to know when we\'ve been successful. I appreciate y... See more
Quote:

As noted above, a few ISPs, such as terra.es, have refused to remove spam filters that have been blocking ProZ.com email notifications. We\'ve been working on adjusting the way we send our mail in order to evade these filters, but it\'s difficult to know when we\'ve been successful. I appreciate you letting us know, and I apologize that it\'s taken so long to sort out.

Thanks are also due to Cindy Chadd and María Teresa Vargas who have been helping us work on this problem.

jg ▲ Collapse

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Tracing my servers Feb 27, 2003

Hi

I\'ve been in trouble today, getting very few messages from ProZ, hotmail and yahoogroups.

Technical support of my mail server has been working on it, and as they don\'t find a solution they told me I could trace the servers.

I notice an interruption in the same server for both, ProZ and yahoogroups, Hop 1, IP address 66.46.176.3.

I don\'t understand anything, I\'m just copying this information, I hope it\'s relevant and not a stu
... See more
Hi

I\'ve been in trouble today, getting very few messages from ProZ, hotmail and yahoogroups.

Technical support of my mail server has been working on it, and as they don\'t find a solution they told me I could trace the servers.

I notice an interruption in the same server for both, ProZ and yahoogroups, Hop 1, IP address 66.46.176.3.

I don\'t understand anything, I\'m just copying this information, I hope it\'s relevant and not a stupidity.

And I hope it\'ll be fixed soon.

Thanks
Collapse

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Looks like a connectivity problem with your ISP Feb 28, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-02-27 20:57, c.iglesias wrote:

Claudia,

If I understand you correctly, it sounds like the first router in your route to ProZ.com and Yahoo was dropping packets. If that\'s the case, it was a problem with the ISP who provides you with Inter... See more
Quote:

On 2003-02-27 20:57, c.iglesias wrote:

Claudia,

If I understand you correctly, it sounds like the first router in your route to ProZ.com and Yahoo was dropping packets. If that\'s the case, it was a problem with the ISP who provides you with Internet connectivity. I hope the problem is resolved soon.

jg ▲ Collapse

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
It seems to be... Feb 28, 2003

I cross my fingers.

Yesterday I could receive one from time to time and today I got 140 messages at once, and now they seem to be incoming.

Thanks Jason

Carmen Lawrence
Carmen Lawrence  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 02:53
German to English
+ ...
not receiving job postings Mar 5, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-02-21 02:28, jg wrote:

We have implemented a work-around that should allow ProZ.com email notifications to reach customers of ISPs that refuse to adjust their mailing list filters. Currently, we apply this fix to email delivered to terra.es and teleline.es. More ISPs will be added to this list as necessary.

If you are a customer of one of these ISPs and still aren\'t receiving email notificatio... See more
Quote:

On 2003-02-21 02:28, jg wrote:

If you are a customer of one of these ISPs and still aren\'t receiving email notifications, please let us know.

I have TERRA here in Spain and am also not receiving any emails (since December). What can I do??? Thanks, Carmen Lawrence ▲ Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

(Staff) Not Receiving Email Notifications? Read This.

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »