difference between website directory and website page?
Thread poster: AAAmedical

AAAmedical  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 07:00
English to Dutch
+ ...
Feb 19, 2003

Hello everybody,

I am struggling setting up my own website. It\'s fun but I really don\'t know anything about it. If I understand well a website can contain different directories and each directory can contain different webpages.

I want to set up a website in 3 languages. Does this mean I have to create 3 directories inside my website or do I get it wrong here?

The final target I see in front of me is a general homepage with 3 flags (directing to three different languages). Each language\'directory\' would contain the same info.

Who can guide me any further?

Thanks and sorry if my question is really basic but we all have to start somewhere.

Ann

Direct link Reply with quote

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:00
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
A folder structure per language is advisable Feb 19, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-02-19 07:40, AAAmedical wrote:

Hello everybody,

I am struggling setting up my own website. It\'s fun but I really don\'t know anything about it. If I understand well a website can contain different directories and each directory can contain different webpages.

I want to set up a website in 3 languages. Does this mean I have to create 3 directories inside my website or do I get it wrong here?

The final target I see in front of me is a general homepage with 3 flags (directing to three different languages). Each language\'directory\' would contain the same info.

Who can guide me any further?

Thanks and sorry if my question is really basic but we all have to start somewhere.

Ann

A classic solution for a multilingual website is to have a start page (Home) in the root folder and then a folder for each language.

Of course, inside the language folder, you may have a whole structure of folder, if you web site is complex enough to require it (normally they are advisable even for small projects).

In general is good practice to keep different items in separate folders. For example, you may have buttons or other graphic elements that change with the language, so you can have a \'pics\' or \'icons\' or \'buttons\' folder for each language, but some other elements stay unchanged, so you should keep them in a single folder at root level (out of the language folders) and refer to them from any language section of your site.

I hope these short notes are helpful.

Gianfranco

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-02-19 10:46]

AAAmedical  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 07:00
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 20, 2003

Thanks a lot Gianfranco, your answer confirmed the way I was building up my site.

Regards

Ann

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

difference between website directory and website page?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs