https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_technical_support/90868-spyware_popup_on_proz_staff%3A_likely_to_be_on_your_end%3B_please_try_malware_removal_program.html

spyware? popup on proz (staff: 'likely to be on your end; please try malware removal program')
Thread poster: Buck
Buck
Buck
Netherlands
Local time: 18:27
Dutch to English
Dec 2, 2007

Hi. I was just on and hadn't logged in yet, when I wanted to scroll more jobs. Suddenly, and this was not the first time, I get a strange popup that closes proz and opens another window that seems to be selling anti-crap software. Anyone else had this experience?

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:27
Member (2004)
English to Italian
... Dec 2, 2007

http://www.proz.com/topic/90517

Haiyang Ai (X)
Haiyang Ai (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:27
English to Chinese
+ ...
My 2 cents Dec 2, 2007

I think ProZ.com should have its own dedicated server, rather than sharing with some others. And it is usually safer to users when it comes to spyware or malware. I think proz.com should be a trusted website.

Kind regards,
Haiyang

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 12:27
SITE FOUNDER
This does not seem to be a problem on our end Dec 2, 2007

Haiyang Ai wrote:

I think ProZ.com should have its own dedicated server, rather than sharing with some others. And it is usually safer to users when it comes to spyware or malware. I think proz.com should be a trusted website.

We do. We have our own dedicated servers (about 40 of them), and the operating systems we use are not known to be susceptible to this sort of malware. This means that the most likely scenario is that this is a client-side issue. In other words, while the popup may be triggered by a visit to ProZ.com, it is almost certainly not coming from ProZ.com.

We have not yet replicated the problem reported. I wonder if someone who has had the problem could run a malware removal program and report to us what the software finds?

Andrew has posted a link to a step by step guide in the other forum thread: bleepingcomputer.com

RobinB
RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:27
German to English
blessedads Dec 2, 2007

Henry,

It's a "blessedads.com" pain in the whatever, and is probably linked to the banner ads. If any of the ads are linked in from another server (i.e. not your own server farm), that's probably the source of the problem.

Robin

Dra Molnar
Dra Molnar  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to German
+ ...
Scanning report Dec 2, 2007

Henry D wrote:

I wonder if someone who has had the problem could run a malware removal program and report to us what the software finds?

Andrew has posted a link to a step by step guide in the other forum thread: bleepingcomputer.com

I followed the instructions at bleepingcomputer.com and scanned my computer with both programs, result: no threats detected. I also ran AVG, Spybot, AdAware...nothing on my end of the computer.

This afternoon the popup problem did't pop up again. I'm using Firefox 2, this mornig the browser was updated to the build 2.0.0.11, I don't know if this is important...

Regards, Dra

Patricia Lane
Patricia Lane  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Clean here too Dec 3, 2007

I ran Panda Action Scan, PC Doctor, and HouseCall, in addition to my usual anti-virus package. Clean on my end as well.

Patricia

D. Molnar M.A. wrote:

Henry D wrote:

I wonder if someone who has had the problem could run a malware removal program and report to us what the software finds?

I followed the instructions at bleepingcomputer.com and scanned my computer with both programs, result: no threats detected. I also ran AVG, Spybot, AdAware...nothing on my end of the computer.

This afternoon the popup problem did't pop up again. I'm using Firefox 2, this mornig the browser was updated to the build 2.0.0.11, I don't know if this is important...

Regards, Dra

Buck
Buck
Netherlands
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks so far, but Dec 3, 2007

Thanks for all the info, but it doesn't happen just at home. It happens on other computers I use as well.....

Marcus Geibel
Marcus Geibel
Germany
English to German
The same with me! Dec 3, 2007

Buck wrote:

Thanks for all the info, but it doesn't happen just at home. It happens on other computers I use as well.....

That's just what is happening here. I posted this problem a couple of days ago and followed the advice given.
Result: Nothing - no problems reported on my side.

But just this morning the popup appeared on ALL my computers just when calling ProZ - and I had visited other sites before entering ProZ. It is all too obvious that the problem is in context with entering ProZ page.

And I must admit: I am getting a bit angry, as I just renewed membership - and having trouble from time to time calling the site. This is unacceptable!

Regards
Marcus

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 12:27
SITE FOUNDER
Thanks, Robin. Hidden content was enbedded in an ad being run through the site. Dec 3, 2007

RobinB wrote:
It's a "blessedads.com" pain in the whatever, and is probably linked to the banner ads. If any of the ads are linked in from another server (i.e. not your own server farm), that's probably the source of the problem.

Thank you, Robin. This was it exactly.

To everyone: I apologize for my previous statement, and for wasting your time. We have been running advertisements supplied by a company that appears reputable, with some of the Internet's largest companies among their clients. However, that company allowed an advertisement (which they in turn had received from a large company one would think you could have trusted) to be sent to us, with hidden content. This ad ran on our site, and had the effect of redirecting users in certain areas, at certain times, to other sites.

There currently are no available tools to scan and detect this type of malicious code buried in certain types and forms of advertising - specifically Shock Wave Files. Until those tools are availble, ProZ.com will not run any Shock Wave File ads from anyone aside from reputable, known translation inductry clients, and will cease any advertising network ads from this source.

I am sorry to have passed along this garbage to you, members. I will see to it that we are more careful as a team in the future!

Thanks for all your help, and your time, in sorting this out. It must have been very frustrating.

Marcus Geibel
Marcus Geibel
Germany
English to German
Three cheers! Dec 3, 2007

Henry D wrote:

RobinB wrote:

Thank you, Robin. This was it exactly.

To everyone: I apologize for my previous statement, and for wasting your time. We have been running advertisements supplied by a company that appears reputable, with some of the Internet's largest companies among their clients. However, that company allowed an advertisement (which they in turn had received from a large company one would think you could have trusted) to be sent to us, with hidden content. This ad ran on our site, and had the effect of redirecting users in certain areas, at certain times, to other sites.

There currently are no available tools to scan and detect this type of malicious code buried in certain types and forms of advertising - specifically Shock Wave Files. Until those tools are availble, ProZ.com will not run any Shock Wave File ads from anyone aside from reputable, known translation inductry clients, and will cease any advertising network ads from this source.

I am sorry to have passed along this garbage to you, members. I will see to it that we are more careful as a team in the future!

Thanks for all your help, and your time, in sorting this out. It must have been very frustrating.

Cheers, Henry, good news!!

Thanks and regards
Marcus

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

spyware? popup on proz (staff: 'likely to be on your end; please try malware removal program')

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »