Thread poster: Riccardo Schiaffino

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:29
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Dec 2, 2007

Today , when clicking on the thread "1000-word KudoZ context*, please. " (http://www.proz.com/topic/90845), a popup window appears, requesting User Name and Password to access the site "lapardin.com", Realm "cPanel".

This does not happen when accessing any other thread.

I believe this is not malware, but rather something related to one of the messages included in the thread.

Nonetheless, this is disconcerting behavior in a message thread, and also seems to point out to a possible vulnerability in the site (if a message may include code or a link that calls a password Window, probably it would not be too difficult to have it do something else - and that could be dangerous).

Direct link Reply with quote

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:29
Swedish to English
+ ...
Happens to me too Dec 2, 2007

But not being a member, my thread hasn't been vetted yet.

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 16:29
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Hi Riccardo and Madeleine Dec 2, 2007

No special problems with that thread. The prompt for password is due because of a wrong link to an image posted by Gennady. I am writing him so hopefully he will correct this soon.

Natalia

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:29
Swedish to English
+ ...
Thanks Natalie Dec 2, 2007

Natalie wrote:

The prompt for password is due because of a wrong link to an image posted by Gennady.

Natalia

But I must agree with Riccardo:

if a message may include code or a link that calls a password Window, probably it would not be too difficult to have it do something else - and that could be dangerous

If it's possible to include "wrong link to an image" by mistake, what else could postings contain?

xxxmediamatrix
Local time: 10:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
Suggestion Dec 2, 2007

As Gennady's second post in the thread mentioned by Riccardo is off topic (it concerns an individual user's image uploading problems, not the '1000-word context' suggestion) may I suggest that it would be helpful simply to remove the post (at least pending a solution to the link that's causing problems) so other participants can share their views on the true topic?

MediaMatrix

[Edited at 2007-12-02 20:02]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Password dialog pops up when accessing one particular forum thread

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs