Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:00
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Dec 2, 2007

Today , when clicking on the thread "1000-word KudoZ context*, please. " (http://www.proz.com/topic/90845), a popup window appears, requesting User Name and Password to access the site "lapardin.com", Realm "cPanel".

This does not happen when accessing any other thread.

I believe this is not malware, but rather something related to one of the messages included in the thread. ... See more
Today , when clicking on the thread "1000-word KudoZ context*, please. " (http://www.proz.com/topic/90845), a popup window appears, requesting User Name and Password to access the site "lapardin.com", Realm "cPanel".

This does not happen when accessing any other thread.

I believe this is not malware, but rather something related to one of the messages included in the thread.

Nonetheless, this is disconcerting behavior in a message thread, and also seems to point out to a possible vulnerability in the site (if a message may include code or a link that calls a password Window, probably it would not be too difficult to have it do something else - and that could be dangerous).
Collapse

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:00
Swedish to English
+ ...
Happens to me too Dec 2, 2007

But not being a member, my thread hasn't been vetted yet.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 16:00
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Riccardo and Madeleine Dec 2, 2007

No special problems with that thread. The prompt for password is due because of a wrong link to an image posted by Gennady. I am writing him so hopefully he will correct this soon.

Natalia

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:00
Swedish to English
+ ...
Thanks Natalie Dec 2, 2007

Natalie wrote:

The prompt for password is due because of a wrong link to an image posted by Gennady.

Natalia

But I must agree with Riccardo:

if a message may include code or a link that calls a password Window, probably it would not be too difficult to have it do something else - and that could be dangerous

If it's possible to include "wrong link to an image" by mistake, what else could postings contain?

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Local time: 10:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
Suggestion Dec 2, 2007

As Gennady's second post in the thread mentioned by Riccardo is off topic (it concerns an individual user's image uploading problems, not the '1000-word context' suggestion) may I suggest that it would be helpful simply to remove the post (at least pending a solution to the link that's causing problems) so other participants can share their views on the true topic?

MediaMatrix

[Edited at 2007-12-02 20:02]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Password dialog pops up when accessing one particular forum thread

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »