Thread poster: Macià Falgàs i Planas
Macià Falgàs i Planas
Macià Falgàs i Planas  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:56
English to Catalan
+ ...
Jan 21, 2008

My native language is Catalan. However, I also have an native-level knowledge of Spanish and Portuguese.

When I became a Proz partial member, I stated my native language as Catalan, thinking I would be able to add other native languages. But I could not, and now it looks like I can't change my choice, so I can not quote on jobs in which being native in Spanish or Portuguese is a requirement.

What should I do?

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:56
English to French
+ ...
You can't change it yourself Jan 21, 2008

If you want to change you native language or add other languages, you have to submit a support request. Since your native language is crucial information, probably among the top three most important elements of your profile, ProZ does not allow us to change it, since some people would then start changing them each week just so they can quote on jobs that require native knowledge of a language they are not really native in.

Also, please take note that even though you may change/add n
... See more
If you want to change you native language or add other languages, you have to submit a support request. Since your native language is crucial information, probably among the top three most important elements of your profile, ProZ does not allow us to change it, since some people would then start changing them each week just so they can quote on jobs that require native knowledge of a language they are not really native in.

Also, please take note that even though you may change/add native languages with the support team's assistance, they will probably show as unverified. ProZ hasn't started verifying native languages, and those who display more than one native language (look at my profile) can only display their native languages as unverified (they will show in grey and not in colour, like those who only have one native language). I can't tell you when and how they will verify native languages, but they do mention somewhere in the FAQ that they plan to do this.

All the best!
Collapse

Macià Falgàs i Planas
Portugal
English to Catalan
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much Jan 21, 2008

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

Also, please take note that even though you may change/add native languages with the support team's assistance, they will probably show as unverified. ProZ hasn't started verifying native languages, and those who display more than one native language (look at my profile) can only display their native languages as unverified (they will show in grey and not in colour, like those who only have one native language). I can't tell you when and how they will verify native languages, but they do mention somewhere in the FAQ that they plan to do this.

All the best!

Thank you very much for this message... that's what I really needed to know. I actually sent a support request some days ago, but I got no reply.

Just one question: you mention that you can have two native languages, but the second one will appear unverified, grey-coloured. Does that allow you to quote on jobs which require to be native in such language?

Thank you.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:56
English to French
+ ...
Yes Jan 21, 2008

Of course - they are still your native languages. There is just no guarantee to the outsourcer that you are saying the truth when declaring those native languages. But they work in any case.

Also, about greyed out native languages, in my experience, it is not only the native languages you add that will appear in grey, but also your initial native language. This seems to be because it is very hard to convince pretty much anybody on this planet that you really can speak and write more
... See more
Of course - they are still your native languages. There is just no guarantee to the outsourcer that you are saying the truth when declaring those native languages. But they work in any case.

Also, about greyed out native languages, in my experience, it is not only the native languages you add that will appear in grey, but also your initial native language. This seems to be because it is very hard to convince pretty much anybody on this planet that you really can speak and write more than one language at a native level. So, it seems that they don't let you keep your initial native language as verified because pretty much everybody doubts that that really is the case.

I can also add that while I can very well imagine someone speaking several languages at native level, you may want to take a look at job postings and see which language that you speak generates the most jobs you may be interested in working on. Try to limit those native languages. I speak Hungarian at native level as well, but I chose not to display that, because the number of jobs from/into Hungarian is so small that it is not worth having a third native language displayed - and having that much more people doubt my level of nativeness in the other two languages.

All the best!
Collapse

Alexander Tkach
Alexander Tkach
Ukraine
Local time: 14:56
English to Russian
+ ...
Check the possibility Jan 21, 2008

Macià Falgàs and Joaquim Palau wrote:

Thank you very much for this message... that's what I really needed to know. I actually sent a support request some days ago, but I got no reply.

It seems to me you shall get no written notification from the support team about the enabled possibility to add/change your native language. I had the same problem and wrote them a letter. After waiting for several weeks - without any written reaction - I checked the page where native language should be added/changed - and found out I can already add/change it!

So - check that yourself, thay may leave your message without any written notification.

Macià Falgàs i Planas
Portugal
English to Catalan
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How? Jan 21, 2008

Alexander Tkach wrote:
It seems to me you shall get no written notification from the support team about the enabled possibility to add/change your native language. I had the same problem and wrote them a letter. After waiting for several weeks - without any written reaction - I checked the page where native language should be added/changed - and found out I can already add/change it!

So - check that yourself, thay may leave your message without any written notification.

And where can I find that page where native langauge should be added/changed?

I am sorry... I am really new to this subject.

Thank you for your help.

Macià Falgàs i Planas
Portugal
English to Catalan
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Found it! Jan 21, 2008

Alexander Tkach wrote:

Macià Falgàs and Joaquim Palau wrote:

I found it!

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 08:56
SITE STAFF
Your native languages were re-set Jan 21, 2008

Hello all,

Macià, perhaps you did not receive the response to your support request. Your native languages were re-set, and all you have to do is declare them now. Alexander, I also see that Enrique answered your request on the 31st of December. Remember you can always see and track your support tickets, past and present, by going to "My support tickets" under the "My ProZ.com" tab at the top of the page.

Thanks Viktoria for your information and guidance here. The Nativ
... See more
Hello all,

Macià, perhaps you did not receive the response to your support request. Your native languages were re-set, and all you have to do is declare them now. Alexander, I also see that Enrique answered your request on the 31st of December. Remember you can always see and track your support tickets, past and present, by going to "My support tickets" under the "My ProZ.com" tab at the top of the page.

Thanks Viktoria for your information and guidance here. The Native Speaker Credential FAQ can be found at http://www.proz.com/faq/pns

Best regards,

Jared
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to change my native language

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »