Responding to forum postings - no "reply or comment" appears
Thread poster: Henry Hinds

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 16, 2008

I wanted to reply to the posting "Suggestion in respect of date of membership" but to my surprise there was no way to do so (no "reply or comment" appears).

Why not? There is no indication the thread has been closed.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-02-16 21:55]

Direct link Reply with quote

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:53
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
No, it is not closed Feb 16, 2008

There is a reply/comment button on my computer screen.

First thing to do is check whether you have the problem with the other forum topics as well. I think you must have a technical hitch.

Astrid

United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No Button Feb 16, 2008

I just checked it again, there is still no "reply/comment" button for that posting on my screen, just "send to a friend". Of course there is one for this posting, otherwise I would not be replying here.

Strange. That's all I can say.

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 09:53
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Strange Feb 16, 2008

I just looked at

http://www.proz.com/topic/97274

and all buttons are there... Maybe you were not logged in? In that case you'd see only one button- "Link" (but not the button "Send to the friend).

Maybe try to switch Site design version to the "Old" (or to the "New- depending on which one you are using) and see what happens?

Alternatively I can suggest to try to open that thread in another browser (IE, Opera, Firefox) and again see what happens.

Uldis

Henry Hinds wrote:

I just checked it again, there is still no "reply/comment" button for that posting on my screen, just "send to a friend". Of course there is one for this posting, otherwise I would not be replying here.

Strange. That's all I can say.

[Rediģēts plkst. 2008-02-16 21:02]

[Rediģēts plkst. 2008-02-16 21:05]

United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nope Feb 16, 2008

I tried both old and new design and no change. I am logged in and I do see "tell a friend". And of course I can reply here, and have never before seen a post where I could not reply unless it stated the thread was closed.

I even changed languages from Spanish to English and that did not help either.

As far as using other browsers, that is beyond my capabilities. But if it works here, then why not there? If it works for you, why not for me?

So it still remains quite "strange".

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 09:53
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Must be a bug then Feb 16, 2008

Hi Henry, please submit a Support Request then, mentioning also this thread. However, as you surely understand, this will be looked in only on Monday.

Uldis

Henry Hinds wrote:

I tried both old and new design and no change. I am logged in and I do see "tell a friend". And of course I can reply here, and have never before seen a post where I could not reply unless it stated the thread was closed.

I even changed languages from Spanish to English and that did not help either.

As far as using other browsers, that is beyond my capabilities. But if it works here, then why not there? If it works for you, why not for me?

So it still remains quite "strange".

United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Support Request Feb 16, 2008

I'm not sure how to submit a support request, I'd be much obliged if you could do it for me if you're more familiar with that.

This specific case is not a big issue with me, but if it affects me, then it could be some defect in the system affecting others as well, so it would need to be fixed.

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 01:53
Partial member
Spanish
+ ...
Cookies Feb 16, 2008

Henry,

I can also see the Reply button for that thread. Why don't you try deleting the cookies for this site and then log in again. Maybe your cookies are causing the problem.

Good luck,

Claudia

Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 12:23
Member (2006)
French to Hindi
+ ...
Membership Forum Feb 16, 2008

Hi Henry,
Here's a link that may help you:
http://www.proz.com/topic/92891?start=0&float=
Evidently only paid members can post in/ reply to posts in the proz.com membership forum.
Best regards,
Ritu

United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I think not Feb 16, 2008

1.- The cookies are apparently what logs me in, and I do not know how to delete them, plus I can reply to other posts including this one.

2.- Not being a paid member, I have always been able to post in/ reply to posts in the proz.com membership forum, which I am doing at this very moment.

Thanks, but... keep trying!

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 01:53
Partial member
Spanish
+ ...
Members-only forum Feb 16, 2008

Rita is right. I'd forgotten that in the Membership forum, only paying members can post new threads and reply.

Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 12:23
Member (2006)
French to Hindi
+ ...
Membership Forum Feb 16, 2008

2.- Not being a paid member, I have always been able to post in/ reply to posts in the proz.com membership forum, which I am doing at this very moment.

This thread is not in the proz.com membership forum (http://www.proz.com/forum/121) but in proz.com technical support forum (http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/new&forum_id=10).

United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Forum Feb 16, 2008

This thread is not in the proz.com membership forum (http://www.proz.com/forum/121) but in proz.com technical support forum (http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/new&forum_id=10).

Right, then I just should have said "the forum", I did not notice the difference.

Keep trying...

United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's it Feb 16, 2008

Of course, now I've got it, that thread was in the "Membership Forum", so being a non-member I am locked out of it.

After all that...

Maybe then there should be some notice to that effect. For I while there I was wondering whether I was crazy, or whether everyone else was.

Now I know.

Enrique Cavalitto
Local time: 03:53
SITE STAFF
Taged as a good sugestion Feb 17, 2008

Hi Henry,

I have just requested a better indication of the "members-only" condition of that forum.

Kind regards,
Enrique

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Responding to forum postings - no "reply or comment" appears

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs