Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]
Bug in contest code led to "leak" of entries in a handful of pairs
Thread poster: Henry Dotterer
Susie Miles (X)
Susie Miles (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:59
English to Spanish
Deadline for voting now Mar 30, 2008

Please, could you let me know when is the deadline for this final round voting? I am not feeling very well today and would like to vote or add some notes, but don´t know if I will have some few more days.....
Cordially,
Susie

Minoru Kuwahara
Minoru Kuwahara
Japan
Local time: 15:59
English to Japanese
+ ...
English to Japanese, looks ok... Mar 30, 2008

*** English to Japanese ***

Dear Henry and all,

Firstly I sincerely thank you and ProZ staffs for taking seriously my suggestion in the first post to this forum into consideration. I also notice the posts from two colleagues for the English to Japanese pair here, and appreciate them for clarifying their answers or what they experienced at this occasion. Now it seems unclear whether or not leakage was actually an issue to bring this language pair to the last 6 ones with
... See more
*** English to Japanese ***

Dear Henry and all,

Firstly I sincerely thank you and ProZ staffs for taking seriously my suggestion in the first post to this forum into consideration. I also notice the posts from two colleagues for the English to Japanese pair here, and appreciate them for clarifying their answers or what they experienced at this occasion. Now it seems unclear whether or not leakage was actually an issue to bring this language pair to the last 6 ones with notes as three people out of the same pair convince we do not have any time to look at others' submissions nor discuss it with others, etc. At least, for now, we reach the number necessary to meet the criteria for voting round, I feel we could go on to the next stage as long as all of us consent.

Just to add up, I personally do not perceive so negatively about leakage itself. I suppose it can technically happen, as Kawamura-san comments. We should be aware. And like many others, it may be a trivial matter as to authenticity of translations. I agree with Gazali in that translation is the art and one translator possibly translates differently from another in most cases. I doubt anyone, especially if we are ProZ members, picks up any other ones' terms or phrases and actually submit entries, for example, on the other hand, considering the extraction may not be necessarily 'piece of cake' for translation in content, even though it's short, and also any new members can come in to participate, I supported the idea that we're to be confirmed as well as convinced for whether or not we "saw" leaked entries and what method of treatment would be best to take before making any decision. Just it.

Now it looks like truly tirivial.
Collapse

Dagmara Kuliś (X)
Dagmara Kuliś (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 07:59
English to Polish
+ ...
Decision? Mar 31, 2008

Any final decision? Or any idea when the voting will begin in the 'endangered' pairs (or if it will begin at all)?

RominaZ
RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Deadline for voting and update on the affected language pairs status Mar 31, 2008

Dear All,

The deadline for final voting round is Thursday, April 10 at 14: GMT.

You can see the update on the current status of affected language pairs here ... See more
Dear All,

The deadline for final voting round is Thursday, April 10 at 14: GMT.

You can see the update on the current status of affected language pairs here http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_translation_contests/100751-6th_prozcom_translation_contest:_final_voting_underway-822836.html#822836

Thanks.
Romina
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 02:59
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, M. Ali Mar 31, 2008

M. Ali Bayraktar wrote:

I am sure that you will not allow to post that but anyway I will try.

I am the person who reported this bug in the contest.

And as soon as I have discovered the leak I have left my entry empty in order to submit it when site staff would solve that problem.

However as soon as I have submitted my support ticket, site staff has blocked all editing procedure.

And my entry left there empty.

So I have written a lot of support ticket and described the situation.

I have got nothing, I am only taking blocks, ignores,

That is not true, M. Ali; you should not make such a misleading statement here. I have personally thanked you and apologized to you, and Romina has also written to you several times. I understand your disappointment. Let's talk again privately if there is something you have not understood.

For others reading this, please know that M. Ali deserves credit and thanks for bringing this bug to light. The only reason he has not been thanked publicly in this thread was to maintain anonymity while the contest is underway.

RominaZ
RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Affected pairs update. Apr 3, 2008

Dear All,

I'm happy to inform you that all the affected pairs but one have moved to the final voting round.

The only pending pair is Russian> German, which will pass to the final as soon as I receive the pending reply from the last participant.

The final voting deadline is Thursday, April 10 at 14: GMT.
... See more
Dear All,

I'm happy to inform you that all the affected pairs but one have moved to the final voting round.

The only pending pair is Russian> German, which will pass to the final as soon as I receive the pending reply from the last participant.

The final voting deadline is Thursday, April 10 at 14: GMT.

You can see the entries and vote here http://www.proz.com/contests .

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation.

Best regards,

Romina
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 02:59
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, everyone! Apr 7, 2008

Thank you, everyone, for your cooperation and understanding. Romina should also be thanked for the hard work she has put in to restoring integrity after the "leak".

All pairs have been squared away and voting turnout in this final round has been exceptional. We look forward to announcing winners by week's end.

After this contest closes, Romina will air some ideas in new thread (based on member suggestions) for voting next time around. Your feedback will be appreciated t
... See more
Thank you, everyone, for your cooperation and understanding. Romina should also be thanked for the hard work she has put in to restoring integrity after the "leak".

All pairs have been squared away and voting turnout in this final round has been exceptional. We look forward to announcing winners by week's end.

After this contest closes, Romina will air some ideas in new thread (based on member suggestions) for voting next time around. Your feedback will be appreciated there.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bug in contest code led to "leak" of entries in a handful of pairs

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »