Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Idea: To prevent unfair voting (clone profiles), show votes, with names, after voting closes.
Thread poster: Alexander Onishko
Alexander Onishko
Alexander Onishko  Identity Verified
Russian to English
+ ...
Apr 10, 2008

I have an idea, which, if it is implemented for the future contests, will eliminated the possibility of unfair voting forever.

I have strong suspicions that in the 6th contest there have been unfair voting in the En-Ru pair.

By unfair voting I mean voting of clone profiles.

My suggestion is as follows:

After voting is over and the winners are announced, the names of those who voted shall be made visible to public.

If you
... See more
I have an idea, which, if it is implemented for the future contests, will eliminated the possibility of unfair voting forever.

I have strong suspicions that in the 6th contest there have been unfair voting in the En-Ru pair.

By unfair voting I mean voting of clone profiles.

My suggestion is as follows:

After voting is over and the winners are announced, the names of those who voted shall be made visible to public.

If you voted fairly and if you are proud of your vote, you have nothing to hide.

On the contrary, there may happen some funny occasions.

For, example, you may find that you voted for a person whom you previously considered your, so to say, KudoZ enemy or something like that.

In any case, this will eliminate the possibility of clone profile voting forever.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-04-14 13:14]
Collapse

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:02
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Great idea! Apr 10, 2008

This would also give us insight in the judgement ability of our colleagues. I can only see advantages.

Regards,
Gerard

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:02
French to English
Easier way? Apr 10, 2008

Alexander Onishko wrote:
In any case, this will eliminate the possibility of clone profile voting forever.

Hmmm, surely the best idea would be to remove clone profiles?

Perhaps some restrictions should be applied to profiles that are allowed to vote, e.g. a certain minimum amount of info in the profile plus some sign of activity other than contest votes (e.g. kudoz or forum posting or responding/posting a job or a blueboard entry or something) and indeed a time period before the contest that this activity must have occured e.g. the user must have been "active" (in the sense above) for at least one month before the contest date.

Otherwise, I too (although I don't participate in these contests) see no particular objection to making public who you voted for, except that by implication, this involves revealing who you did NOT vote for.
It shouldn't, in an ideal world, but I could see this information harming working relationships.

RominaZ
RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
6th ProZ.com Translation Contest Voting: possibility of unfair voting ruled out Apr 10, 2008

Dear Alexander,

This is to let you know that the site has been following the voting process since the beginning of the qualification round. Every vote cast has been duly checked and the possibility of unfair voting has been ruled out completely.

Based on members' suggestions, I will air some ideas for voting next time around in a new thread soon. Your feedback will be appreciated there, too.

Thanks

Romina

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 06:02
Spanish
+ ...
Wow! Apr 10, 2008

I wasn't aware how seriously some people take these contests. I can only imagine the level of dishonesty in the KudoZ system.

WriuszTran
WriuszTran
Germany
Question Apr 10, 2008

Every vote cast has been duly checked and the possibility of unfair voting has been ruled out completely.

How were proxy servers indicating far different IP numbers ruled out?

Yuri Smirnov
Yuri Smirnov  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:02
English to Belarusian
+ ...
Ceterum censeo, Carthagine delendam esse Apr 11, 2008

I don't believe in clones, or, rather, I believe in the organizers keeping track of that kind of trickery.

But the voting system is very far from perfection. The reasons people vote for or against this or that entry are far from serious assessment of the translation quality. And it turns out from the forums that it's not only in En-Ru pair. The same with Portuguese, the same with Spanish — so the most 'populated' pairs give the most opportunities for choosing the weirdest winners.
... See more
I don't believe in clones, or, rather, I believe in the organizers keeping track of that kind of trickery.

But the voting system is very far from perfection. The reasons people vote for or against this or that entry are far from serious assessment of the translation quality. And it turns out from the forums that it's not only in En-Ru pair. The same with Portuguese, the same with Spanish — so the most 'populated' pairs give the most opportunities for choosing the weirdest winners.

Opening the voters identities — I would not be against. But I understand privacy connotations, too.

So, I believe in Carthagine delendam esse, but let's give Romina suggestions, more of them, and she will pick out the best and the most practical.
Collapse

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:02
Russian to English
+ ...
Cloning profiles? Apr 11, 2008

Excuse me, but what the heck does "cloning profiles" mean? All I can guess is that this is a script for a dog-eat-dog Grade B movie.
Susan

RominaZ
RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
We work at preventing abuse throughout the site Apr 11, 2008

Dear Claudia.
Claudia Alvis wrote:

I wasn't aware how seriously some people take these contests. I can only imagine the level of dishonesty in the KudoZ system.

The site has the necessary tools to help prevent, detect and discourage cases of dishonesty and fraud site-wide.

Regards,
Romina

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 06:02
Spanish
+ ...
KudoZ Apr 11, 2008

Thank you for your reply Romina.

Yuri Smirnov
English to Belarusian
+ ...
Strictly for En-Ru pair Apr 11, 2008

I would just suggest that strictly for En-Ru pair, taking into account the heated atmosphere there, this could help. As far as I understand, several people in post-contest discussion in that pair are supporting that measure including the winner.

Like in other pairs that I know well, Ru-En, Fr-Ru, En-Ukr, I don't see any need to have that kind of a privacy abuse. But with En-Ru I support it. Both qualification and final voting can be made open post factum.

[Edited at 2008-04-
... See more
I would just suggest that strictly for En-Ru pair, taking into account the heated atmosphere there, this could help. As far as I understand, several people in post-contest discussion in that pair are supporting that measure including the winner.

Like in other pairs that I know well, Ru-En, Fr-Ru, En-Ukr, I don't see any need to have that kind of a privacy abuse. But with En-Ru I support it. Both qualification and final voting can be made open post factum.

[Edited at 2008-04-12 07:03]

Oops!

This morning vera12191 (a winner of three contests) publicly acknowledged that her sister voted for her. I knew that before, but now she said it out loud. And insisted that was fair.
One more VERY serious reason for openness and 'glasnost' in En-Ru pair.

[Edited at 2008-04-12 07:35]
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 07:02
SITE FOUNDER
We won't publish voter names from this contest Apr 13, 2008

Thanks for the idea presented here. We'll discuss it!
Yuri Smirnov wrote:
Both qualification and final voting can be made open post factum.

We can't do that, as the expectation of some may have been that their votes would not be public.

Yuri Smirnov
English to Belarusian
+ ...
That was to be expected Apr 13, 2008

Henry D wrote:
We can't do that, as the expectation of some may have been that their votes would not be public.

Privacy abuse connotations are understood. At least, by me. But, at least, you see the idea behind making votes public post factum and see it's supported by many.

vera12191
vera12191  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
We need a solution... Apr 13, 2008

Henry D wrote:

[We can't do that, as the expectation of some may have been that their votes would not be public.

I am sad to see my words intentially misinterpreted above.

Henry, if you cannot make the votes public, I would appreciate if you find some other solution to confirm the fair vote in the ENG-RU and DE-RU combinations in the 6th contest. The longer it takes to arrive at a final decision, the greater the likelihood that the legitimacy of the winners will be questioned.

[Редактировалось 2008-04-14 10:40]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Idea: To prevent unfair voting (clone profiles), show votes, with names, after voting closes.

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »