Questions re: how entries are ruled out and agrees/disagrees
Thread poster: Lindsay Sabadosa (X)
wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Local time: 20:29
some minimum number of votes Dec 3, 2008

RominaZ wrote:

"Entries are removed from contention when it becomes clear that they have no reasonable chance of winning. Such assessment is made based on the average rating received from peers (relative to that assigned to other entries), after some minimum number of votes.

Romina

Can you please make it concrete?

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
minimum number of voters Dec 3, 2008

Bin Tiede wrote:
RominaZ wrote:
"Entries are removed from contention when it becomes clear that they have no reasonable chance of winning. Such assessment is made based on the average rating received from peers (relative to that assigned to other entries), after some minimum number of votes.
Romina

Hi Bin,

It is tough to speak in absolutes when contests are relative; rather than any absolute cutoff, the "no reasonable chance of winning" concept is the key here. Entries that have been ruled out have come from the low end of sorted lists of rated entries, in language pairs in which other entries have had relatively high entries.

In most cases, there have been at least five voters.

Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
What about likes/dislikes nullification Dec 3, 2008

Henry D wrote:

Bin Tiede wrote:
RominaZ wrote:
Romina

Hi Bin,

It is tough to speak in absolutes when contests are relative; rather than any absolute cutoff, the "no reasonable chance of winning" concept is the key here. Entries that have been ruled out have come from the low end of sorted lists of rated entries, in language pairs in which other entries have had relatively high entries.

In most cases, there have been at least five voters.

I understand this action well. But I can't understand why like and dislikes of the entries which still have chance to pass in voting have been nullified?

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Tags would only have been removed by those who entered them Dec 4, 2008

M. Ali Bayraktar wrote:
... I can't understand why like and dislikes of the entries which still have chance to pass in voting have been nullified?

Had that happened? I don't believe it should have... are you thinking of one specific case? People can remove their own tags...

Ali Bayraktar
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
For a while Dec 4, 2008

Henry D wrote:

M. Ali Bayraktar wrote:
... I can't understand why like and dislikes of the entries which still have chance to pass in voting have been nullified?

Had that happened? I don't believe it should have... are you thinking of one specific case? People can remove their own tags...

In English to Russian pair, on the first day when I saw that entries became less (from 36 to 25) I entered there several times during 1 or 2 hours, and I did not see any tags. All entries were clear from likes/dislikes.

But now they exist.

So that was the reason why I thought they were nullified.

Sorry, this situation does not exist anymore.

Anyway, it happened for a while in the past (approx. on the first day when you disqualified some of the entries)

Dasa Suciu
Dasa Suciu  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:29
English to Romanian
+ ...
when it becomes clear that they have no reasonable chance of winning Dec 4, 2008

RominaZ wrote:

Hi All,

I am updating contest FAQ 6. "What is the voting process?"

Winnowing out entries in this way helps focus voter attention on the leading entries, increasing the likelihood that the best entries will be identified for inclusion in the final round."

Romina

This is the strangest rule for a contest I've ever heard! And a little too late for some of the participants!

I do not understand why not all of us have equal chances. As the qualification round will end on December 8, it would have been proper to remove the unqualified entries only then, not after 4-5 days of voting. Especially when on the contest page, one can read:

Note: You do not need to rate all entries and you can change your ratings until the qualification round is complete.

How to change rating until the qualification round is complete, when the entries you want to review are no longer present. Mind plays tricks and for a fair judgment I think an entry should be read at least 2-3 times, but not the same day!!!

Reading so many entries is not at all easy and takes a lot of time. Therefore, my opinion is that some entries that disappeared too soon were given less chances than the others that are still there.

And if the number of likes and dislikes tags has no direct incidence on the net rating of the entry, then what are the rules for disqualifying entries? When it becomes clear that they have no reasonable chance of winning? Just because I think so?

I'm looking forward to the results!

Good luck!

[Edited at 2008-12-04 14:03 GMT]

Sylvia Valls
Sylvia Valls  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:29
French to English
+ ...
You need to change the initial selection to... Dec 4, 2008

a panel composed of proven readers with a sufficient level to appraise matters at a first glance and leave the second phase... when the entries are not so many... to the other people milling around. I have read some pretty stupid comments, to tell the truth... My feeling is that there are many still green translators who simply are not sufficiently good readers or writers to reach a level that can be trusted to make the best initial selection... Not that they are not going to mill around to see ... See more
a panel composed of proven readers with a sufficient level to appraise matters at a first glance and leave the second phase... when the entries are not so many... to the other people milling around. I have read some pretty stupid comments, to tell the truth... My feeling is that there are many still green translators who simply are not sufficiently good readers or writers to reach a level that can be trusted to make the best initial selection... Not that they are not going to mill around to see what happens and in the process they may learn something if the more competent readers and writers show them the way. As far as the situation right now, anyone can come in and disqualify stuff they have no understanding of, really, on the basis of not very sound judgment. So at least the initial phase would have to be changed so the second stage can have a better selection and not just a mesh of stuff that got qualified too rapidly by mostly insufficiently qualified dudes... I say. Thanks!Collapse

Carol Gullidge
Carol Gullidge  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:29
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
what happens if nobody reviews an entry? Dec 4, 2008

Attila Piróth wrote:

"Qualifying rounds" of voting are held only in pairs with a large number of entries (>7) to ensure that an appropriate number of entries reaches the finals, and that the ones selected are the best and most accurate. Voters are asked to rate entries in two categories: "Quality of writing" and "Accuracy of translation" on an absolute scale of 1 ("poor") to 5 ("perfect"). During this round entries which receive a net rating ≤ 2 from a reasonable number of voters will no longer be subject to review and will not move on to the next round. The 3-7 entries that receive the highest scores will pass into the final round.

Attila

(i)

A conundrum: Since voters are not obliged to vote for all the entries in a category, there could conceivably be some entries that receive no votes at all (good or bad), simply because nobody has bothered to review or grade those particular ones. Would this mean automatic elimination? You wouldn't have received a net rating ≤ 2, but nor would you have received any points...

I speak as one who has reviewed and voted for all the possible entries in my pair (quite a lot!), but who has no guarantee that this will be reciprocated by anyone at all...

(ii)

What's more, I think I've given almost everybody a net rating of over 2, but if everybody did this, then, by the above logic, almost all the entries should go through to the next round. Is there a backup system for weeding out, or do I need to adjust my (perhaps over-generous) marking system?

[Edited at 2008-12-04 18:35 GMT]

Ali Bayraktar
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Will the entries go into final voting step with likes/dislikes? Dec 4, 2008

Hi,

I would like to ask about final voting phase.

Will the entries be shown with likes/dislikes in final voting?

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Thanks, Carol Dec 5, 2008

Carol Gullidge wrote:
A conundrum: Since voters are not obliged to vote for all the entries in a category, there could conceivably be some entries that receive no votes at all (good or bad)

That does not seem to be an issue this contest. When it happened in the past, entries that had not been evaluated at all of course went on to the finals.
... I think I've given almost everybody a net rating of over 2, but if everybody did this, then, by the above logic, almost all the entries should go through to the next round.

That is why the decision has to be relative. The line of 2 was done away with.

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
In the final round Dec 5, 2008

Carol Gullidge wrote:

what happens if nobody reviews an entry?

Would there be a winner, if none of those qualified to vote is interested in voting?

Some language pairs are very quiet.

[Edited at 2008-12-05 12:33 GMT]

Carol Gullidge
Carol Gullidge  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:29
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
thanks Henry Dec 5, 2008

Great stuff!

You seem to have it all nicely under control...!

Ali Bayraktar
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
What happened? Dec 5, 2008

When I am entering the contest page I can see nothing.
There is a blank page only.

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Same here Dec 5, 2008

M. Ali Bayraktar wrote:

I think the qualification round comes to an end, now they try to work out the final entries. Hope ours are not ruled out!

RominaZ
RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Contest page should be working fine now Dec 5, 2008

Hi M. Ali
M. Ali Bayraktar wrote:

The contest page should be working fine now.

Thanks for reporting this.

Romina

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Questions re: how entries are ruled out and agrees/disagrees

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »