Mark Berelekhis  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:07
Russian to English
+ ...
It's been 10 days Nov 10, 2009

Lucia Leszinsky wrote:

Hello Mark,

The third set of winners, including the winner(s) in Russian to English language pair, will be announced next week.

Thanks for your patience.

Regards,

Lucia

Just sayin'

Regi2006
Regi2006  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 20:07
Member (2007)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Contestants should be required to vote Nov 10, 2009

Lucia Leszinsky wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion, Regi2006. All contestants are invited to vote for entries in the language pairs they participate but I am afraid this is not a requirement. In any case, final voting in each pair is open to those members and users who have been registered on the site for at least 1 month, who are native in the target language and work in the same language pair in which they wish to vote.

Hi Lucia,

I think members are not too enthusiastic to vote because the winner of this contest will eventually become their tougher competitor in this increasingly competitive translation industry. So, requiring the contestants to vote for the best entry is still a good idea, IMHO.

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
"All contestants should be required to vote" Nov 10, 2009

Regi2006 wrote:

I think all the contestants who have submitted their entries should be required to vote in each phase.

I don't think that's a good idea. If contestants are not voting, they surely have their reasons, whether one thinks they are good or bad. Maybe the person thinks his/her own entry is the best and doesn't want to "help" someone else win. Requiring people to vote, apart from being somewhat draconian for a website like this (which is not a school or a job, after all), could have unexpected effects, such as voting for the entry you think is the WORST, so that it doesn't "threaten" your own chances of winning.

If people who did not participate in the contest don't have time to vote or are not interested, then I guess there is just not enough interest in the contest, except for those die-hards (like myself) who entered. I think that's too bad, since it's a fun and valuable experience, but it's not a big deal, on the scale of the world's problems.

@Mark: note that Jennifer was not able to vote in the RU-EN pair after all, because her language pairs did not match. So RU-EN still does not have enough votes.

Susan

Jennifer Taylor
Jennifer Taylor  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:07
Member (2008)
Czech to English
+ ...
Not true... Nov 10, 2009

Susan Welsh wrote:

@Mark: note that Jennifer was not able to vote in the RU-EN pair after all, because her language pairs did not match. So RU-EN still does not have enough votes.

Susan

No, Susan, I did vote in the Russian-English contest (just not in any of the others that needed more voters!). It seemed to hit the required number of voters after I did it but nothing seems to have changed since then. Perhaps there was a tie or something? Or maybe they just haven't got round to announcing it.

Regarding the lack of interest in voting, perhaps there aren't that many people who check this part of the website as regularly, and are unaware of the contest. Perhaps they just aren't that interested. I wasn't even going to bother voting myself this time round because I was too lazy, but in the end I did it precisely because I understood the frustration of the entrants not getting any result at all after putting so much effort into entering, having been there before. And though I wasn't overly excited about doing it at first, I did enjoy being able to play a part in this contest.

Mario Altare
Mario Altare
Local time: 14:07
Russian to Italian
+ ...
What happens if there are no more votes in a contest? Nov 13, 2009

Hi!

I'm afraid some contests will never end, e.g. Catalan-Italian still needs 8 votes and many other final rounds that are underway for many weeks without evolving. If there won't be enough votes within this month (or this year), what will happen? Could that affect the schedule of the next contest?

Thanks in advance for your reply

[Modificato alle 2009-11-13 14:29 GMT]

Mark Berelekhis
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
It's been two weeks since the Ru-En pair got enough votes... Nov 14, 2009

How dead is this thing, exactly?

Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Lucia are you ok? Nov 15, 2009

I really began to worry about her as she keeps her silence for very long time.

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
I am ok and still here Nov 16, 2009

Hello all,

I am sorry for the delay in my reply.

I will be posting an update on the contest in short.

In the meantime, you are all invited to submit your votes in the language pairs that are still open.

Regards,

Lucia

Mark Berelekhis
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
Another week Nov 23, 2009

Lucia Leszinsky wrote:

Hello all,

I am sorry for the delay in my reply.

I will be posting an update on the contest in short.

In the meantime, you are all invited to submit your votes in the language pairs that are still open.

Regards,

Lucia

Hi Lucia,

It's been a week since your last post, where you promised an update 'in short.'

Please, give us closure.

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your patience Nov 23, 2009

Hello Mark,

There are several pairs that need checking before a winner can be selected.

I would appreciate your patience while this is being done.

I will let you all know when the new set of winners is ready.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Lucia

Larissa Boutrimova
Larissa Boutrimova  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Another week, another "thank you for your patience" :) Nov 24, 2009

Mark Berelekhis wrote:

Please, give us closure.

I do feel sorry for the colleagues who are still waiting for the results, having put time, effort and inspiration in their contest translations. Or, probably, they are not waiting anymore, which makes it even sadder.

It's been over a month since the second set of winners has been announced and looks like the contest will be going forever, which sort of devalues its whole meaning and kills the joy. I think dragging feet like that could substantially decrease the interest in the next contest when and if it's announced.

[Редактировалось 2009-11-24 03:57 GMT]

Mark Berelekhis
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
Well said Nov 24, 2009

Larissa B wrote:

Mark Berelekhis wrote:

Please, give us closure.

I do feel sorry for the collegues who are still waiting for the results, having put time, effort and inspiration in their contest translations. Or, probably, they are not waiting anymore, which makes it even sadder.

It's been over a month since the second set of winners has been announced and looks like the contest will be going forever, which sort of devalues its whole meaning and kills the joy. I think dragging feet like that could substantially decrease the interest in the next contest when and if it's announced.

And I wholeheartedly agree.

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:07
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Will this contest last until the next one begins (if ever)? Nov 29, 2009

I have voted in Italian-German after your announcement, as there were still "additional voters needed". I felt sorry for the colleagues that have dedicated time and effort which they risked to have put forth in vain otherwise. This was more than a month ago. BTW, voting, too, requires some time, if you do it thoroughly.:-)

Since then, from time to time I go to the winners' page, but still I read for Italian-German: Finals round underway... Same thing for other language pairs.
... See more
I have voted in Italian-German after your announcement, as there were still "additional voters needed". I felt sorry for the colleagues that have dedicated time and effort which they risked to have put forth in vain otherwise. This was more than a month ago. BTW, voting, too, requires some time, if you do it thoroughly.:-)

Since then, from time to time I go to the winners' page, but still I read for Italian-German: Finals round underway... Same thing for other language pairs.

There isn't any deadline for the determination of winners, so I'm afraid this could take forever

I agree this is only a pastime, for the ones who translate and the ones who vote, but I think you should take them more seriously anyway.
Collapse

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
What's going on? Nov 30, 2009

Christel Zipfel wrote:

I agree this is only a pastime, for the ones who translate and the ones who vote, but I think you should take them more seriously anyway.

I agree with you. And yes, it certainly does take time to vote, esp. if you have a language pair with lots of entries and you want to read all or most of them.

Mark Berelekhis
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
The little interest Proz.com members showed in these translation contests, Nov 30, 2009

as judged by the low percentage of entries and votes, is surely being even further diminished by the complete lack of interest displayed by Proz.com staff. The final round voting ended October 10, that's fifty (50) days ago. I cannot fathom the reason why more than half of the pairs are still open.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Announcing the winners of the 9th ProZ.com translation contest: Business

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »