Announcing ProZ.com's first translation contest
Thread poster: Florencia Vita
I am happy to announce a translation contest, intended primarily for enjoyment, we expect that periodic contests will also serve as one more outlet for camaraderie and friendship among site members, as well as a means of promoting and recognizing excellence in the art of translation.
The contest is limited to paying site members (both for participation and for voting, including partial memberships of the Community kind). In this, our first contest, all translations will be from a single English source text. Target languages will be any of those that have a dedicated forum in the site. In the future, we intend to run contests with source texts in other languages, but for practical reasons we are not doing so this time around.
The source text, about 350 words long, is about to be posted in dedicated threads in all non-English forums. This time around, we chose a literary text that is technically challenging. We will be trying different types of source texts in future contests.
To participate in the contest you are kindly invited to visit the corresponding thread in the forum or forums of your preference. You will submit your translation as a reply post in the dedicated thread(s). The thread has been set in such a way that your submitted translation will not be visible to others until the close of the period for submissions.
There will be no material prizes this time around. But winners will be announced through the site and an icon will be posted in their profiles, if they so choose.
These are the guidelines of the contest:
- Translations into a given non-English language should be done in the dedicated thread of the corresponding language (see list below). The source text (identical for all languages) will be posted in the first post of each dedicated thread.
- Each participant will be allowed to post only one translation for each language, but to post in as many languages as desired. In case of more than one translation by the same translator in the same language, only the first post will be allowed and the remaining will be hidden. Posts not being translations of the source text will not be made visible.
- All translations must be original works. Reuse of existing (published) translations, in whole or in part, is prohibited.
- Posters will be able to edit their translations during the first 24 hours after posting. Besides the posters, only staff members will be able to see the translations posted. Moderators will have no special rights in these threads, to allow their participation on identical conditions.
- In order to preserve the integrity of this contest, neither the source text nor any translation of it should be posted elswhere in the site until the contest is over. No parallel contests will be permitted.
- KudoZ questions are not allowed in relation to the contest.
- Entries can be submitted as early as 9 am (GMT) on Wednesday, 31 January, and as late as noon (GMT) on Monday, 12 February. Apart from this period, the threads will be locked. The voting period will start after the close of the submissions period, and will last one week.
- During the voting period, the entries will be published only with their content, without any visible name and identified by a number.
- Members will not be allowed to vote for their own translations.
- There will be no voting in languages with less than three translations.
- The votes will be made public only after the closure of the voting phase.
Here is the list of threads for submission of contest entries, by language:
Albanian (3 entries in) - http://www.proz.com/topic/64676
Arabic (5) - http://www.proz.com/topic/64686
Bosnian - http://www.proz.com/topic/64690
Bulgarian (3) - http://www.proz.com/topic/64662
Catalan (1) - http://www.proz.com/topic/64692
Chinese (9) - http://www.proz.com/topic/64666
Croatian (2) - http://www.proz.com/topic/64688
Czech (1) - http://www.proz.com/topic/64706
Danish (1) - http://www.proz.com/topic/64680
Dutch (7) - http://www.proz.com/topic/64670
Finnish (2) - http://www.proz.com/topic/64700
French (23) - http://www.proz.com/topic/64652
Georgian (1) - http://www.proz.com/topic/64698
German (25) - http://www.proz.com/topic/64696
Greek (4) - http://www.proz.com/topic/64656
Hebrew - http://www.proz.com/topic/65548 New Forum!
Hindi (3) - http://www.proz.com/topic/65542 New Forum!
Hungarian (4) - http://www.proz.com/topic/64674
Indonesian (3) - http://www.proz.com/topic/65552 New Forum!
Italian (17) - http://www.proz.com/topic/64654
Japanese (1) - http://www.proz.com/topic/64678
Latvian (1) - http://www.proz.com/topic/64702
Lithuanian (1) - http://www.proz.com/topic/64694
Malay - http://www.proz.com/topic/65550 New Forum!
Norwegian - http://www.proz.com/topic/64682
Persian/Farsi - http://www.proz.com/topic/65544 New Forum!
Polish (9) - http://www.proz.com/topic/64668
Portuguese (13) - http://www.proz.com/topic/64658
Romanian (5) - http://www.proz.com/topic/64672
Russian (17) - http://www.proz.com/topic/64660
Serbian (1) - http://www.proz.com/topic/64704
Spanish (35) - http://www.proz.com/topic/64650
Swedish (4) - http://www.proz.com/topic/64684
Tamil - http://www.proz.com/topic/65554 New Forum!
Turkish (2) - http://www.proz.com/topic/64664
Ukrainian (2) - http://www.proz.com/topic/64648
Urdu (1) - http://www.proz.com/topic/65546 New Forum!
This contest is about having fun, participating together in a challenging activity, and learning from each other. No two translations will be the same. We invite you to try your hand, share your style, enjoy the challenge!
Please feel free to contact me through my profile if you have any question or comment about this contest.
Note: Participation in this contest is optional. Members who are not interested in participating (or even disagree with the contests in principle) are kindly asked to withhold comment until after the first contest is closed, in order to allow those who choose to participate to do so with minimal distraction.
| || |
| Contest voting phase || Feb 9, 2007 |
I would like to thank all participants for being brave and trying your hand at this our first official contest, and to remind those who still haven´t entered that you will have time to submit your entries until late noon GMT Monday 12th February.
From that moment on, a week-long voting phase will start along the following guidelines:
- Voting in each forum will be limited to site members who have the corresponding language pair among their working languages.
- Voting (and promotion as "most voted") will be possible only for languages with at least 3 entries.
- Members will not be allowed to vote for their own posts.
- Votes by members who do not comply with the requirement will be deleted.
- During the voting phase the threads will be made visible to all members but the poster's names will remain hidden. Posts titles will be edited in a neutral way.
- The voting process will resemble KudoZ grading, where voters will be shown all the entries, each with a “Select this entry” button that will disappear once a selection has been made.
- Voting will be possible until noon (GMT) on Wednesday February 21st, when votes will be counted and threads made completely visible, including the poster's names.
| || |
| New option added for voting || Feb 15, 2007 |
A new option has been added to the voting page for those who do not believe that any of the translations in the language pair is of a high enough standard to be designated winner of that language pair. It appears at the end of the list of entries.
| Contest results || Feb 26, 2007 |
Results are being processed and winners announced on a language by language basis.
Thank you all for participating!
| Contest criteria for publishing the results || Feb 27, 2007 |
Contest criteria for publishing the results:
- Only entries with at least two votes will be shown
- The number of votes received by each , and any associated comments, will also be shown.
- The names of voters will not be shown this time around (since we did not ask voters for permission), but may be shown in future contests.
- For each language pair within the contest the poster of the translation that received the most votes (above the threshold of 2 votes) will be declared winner.