Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Fifth ProZ.com Translation Contest: announcement of winners!
Thread poster: RominaZ
RominaZ
RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 21, 2007

Dear All,

I'd like to congratulate the winners of the Fifth ProZ.com Translation Contest! To meet the winners, see their entries, and to leave feedback or suggestions for the contest, go here: http://www.proz.com/contests

... See more
Dear All,

I'd like to congratulate the winners of the Fifth ProZ.com Translation Contest! To meet the winners, see their entries, and to leave feedback or suggestions for the contest, go here: http://www.proz.com/contests

You can also leave specific feedback on the pages for each language pair, and for each entry where the poster has chosen to publish their entry and receive colleagues' comments.
I'm grateful to all the members who entered the contest and to the 364 voters, as voting is an essential part of contests!

The theme for next contest will be Relationships. Click here here to see the selected English source text.

I hope to see you all again there!

Best regards,
Romina
Collapse

Agnieszka Hayward (X)
Agnieszka Hayward (X)
Poland
Local time: 22:47
German to Polish
+ ...
Congratulations! Dec 21, 2007

Congratulations to all co-winners and many thanks to those who voted.

One technical question: where can I pick up my trophy aka the winner's certificate?

patyjs
patyjs  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:47
Spanish to English
+ ...
Congratulations to all!! Dec 22, 2007

And to you, Romina for another great job. Some new features were introduced during this contest, to the good, I feel, like having to justify a negative vote in the qualifying round.

Since the next contest in still in its preamble I'd like to suggest a couple of changes that I, for one, would like to see.

~ I want to be able to see the personal notes I made during the final voting stage, when the voting is finished. I made comments on all the finalists thinking I woul
... See more
And to you, Romina for another great job. Some new features were introduced during this contest, to the good, I feel, like having to justify a negative vote in the qualifying round.

Since the next contest in still in its preamble I'd like to suggest a couple of changes that I, for one, would like to see.

~ I want to be able to see the personal notes I made during the final voting stage, when the voting is finished. I made comments on all the finalists thinking I would be able to look at them after the winners were announced but, alas, no.

~ I'd really like to be able to give points to all the finalists. Having zero points is disappointing for anybody but with the present system that's what you get even if 20 (or any number of) people think your entry was fourth best. If only one person thinks someone else's entry deserves third place and 19 others think the entry is among the bottom few that entry will end up with more points. It doesn't seem fair.

Anyway, thanks again for a great job....looking forward to the next one.

Paty
Collapse

Natalya Danilova
Natalya Danilova  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 23:47
Italian to Russian
+ ...
Points Dec 22, 2007

Please do change the voting system. I remember somebody suggested a simple "points system". I'm all for it. I.e. my problem was that I couldn't give the second and third places to the translations I've chosen, because I didn't want to give out the 1st! No translation was good for the first place, yet there were translations that deserved some points and I was just helpless. If you introduce the points system, it can all become easier. Everyone of us can give a sort of grading from 1 to 5: how g... See more
Please do change the voting system. I remember somebody suggested a simple "points system". I'm all for it. I.e. my problem was that I couldn't give the second and third places to the translations I've chosen, because I didn't want to give out the 1st! No translation was good for the first place, yet there were translations that deserved some points and I was just helpless. If you introduce the points system, it can all become easier. Everyone of us can give a sort of grading from 1 to 5: how good this translation is. Plus, I think that notes should become "a MUST". You can't grade a translation if you don't explain why it's good or bad. May be extra fields for voting, something like "Good" and "Bad" where one can write mistakes and nice finds, IMHO.

Congratulations to all winners and particpants!!!
Collapse

orientalhorizon
orientalhorizon  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:47
English to Chinese
+ ...
Congratulations! Dec 24, 2007

Very good points! Similar to beauty contests!

Natalya Danilova wrote:

Please do change the voting system. I remember somebody suggested a simple "points system". I'm all for it. I.e. my problem was that I couldn't give the second and third places to the translations I've chosen, because I didn't want to give out the 1st! No translation was good for the first place, yet there were translations that deserved some points and I was just helpless. If you introduce the points system, it can all become easier. Everyone of us can give a sort of grading from 1 to 5: how good this translation is. Plus, I think that notes should become "a MUST". You can't grade a translation if you don't explain why it's good or bad. May be extra fields for voting, something like "Good" and "Bad" where one can write mistakes and nice finds, IMHO.

Congratulations to all winners and particpants!!!

Yuri Smirnov
Yuri Smirnov  Identity Verified
English to Belarusian
+ ...
Supporting Dec 24, 2007

Natalya Danilova wrote:

Everyone of us can give a sort of grading from 1 to 5: how good this translation is. Plus, I think that notes should become "a MUST". You can't grade a translation if you don't explain why it's good or bad.

That would make the decisions easier and the results fairer.

Yuri Smirnov
Yuri Smirnov  Identity Verified
English to Belarusian
+ ...
Mistake Dec 26, 2007

Just noticed a mistake in the certificate — it says July 2007.
That's what I often do in my bank papers: change the figure, but leave the old date.
Can it be corrected?

RominaZ
RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Certificates ready to be downloaded! Dec 26, 2007

Dear winners,

Congratulations once again!

You can now see the diploma in the "contests won" section of your profile. Please note that you will need the latest version of Adobe Reader. Here is the link to download it in case you do not have it yet:
http://www.adobe.com/es/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

Thanks Yuri, mistake corrected.
... See more
Dear winners,

You can now see the diploma in the "contests won" section of your profile. Please note that you will need the latest version of Adobe Reader. Here is the link to download it in case you do not have it yet:

Hope to see you all around in the next one!

Regards,
Romina
Collapse

Miguel Cabelo
Miguel Cabelo  Identity Verified
Spanish to Portuguese
+ ...
Contests won Section Dec 28, 2007

Dear Romina,
First of all congratulations for the good work done organizing this 5th Translation Contest. I was trying to view my certificate but I simply cannot find this "contests won" section on my profile. Any help would be welcome.
Wish you and all on this forum the very best for 2008.

Miguel

RominaZ wrote:

Dear winners,

Hope to see you all around in the next one!

Regards,
Romina

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
How is the classification determined extactly? Dec 28, 2007

Congrats from me to everyone, too!

I have voted in French-German, and the ones I voted 1st and 2nd actually turned out to be 1st and 2nd. Two translations got 4 points each and only one of them is 3rd. I had voted
the other one. How exactly does it work? Couldn't there be places ex-aequo? I mean, if two or more translations get the same number of votes, I find this would be much fairer. Or is there ´some mechanism behind I don't know?
Any explanation would be very appr
... See more
Congrats from me to everyone, too!

I have voted in French-German, and the ones I voted 1st and 2nd actually turned out to be 1st and 2nd. Two translations got 4 points each and only one of them is 3rd. I had voted
the other one. How exactly does it work? Couldn't there be places ex-aequo? I mean, if two or more translations get the same number of votes, I find this would be much fairer. Or is there ´some mechanism behind I don't know?
Any explanation would be very appreciated - thank you!

[Bearbeitet am 2007-12-28 22:37]
Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:47
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Click for Standardized information Dec 28, 2007

Miguel Cabelo wrote:
I was trying to view my certificate but I simply cannot find this "contests won" section on my profile. Any help would be welcome.

Miguel

Miguel,
I just looked at your profile, and it is there.
When I opened your profile, I had to click on the "Click for standardized information" link to open up the regular information table. The last row is the "Contests won" row.
I hope this helps.
Katalin

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:47
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I don't see the problem... Dec 28, 2007

Christel Zipfel wrote:
I have voted in French-German,
Two translations got 4 points each and only one of them is 3rd.

I looked at the French-German contest page and I see the winner has 13 points.
The second entry has 6 points, the third has 5, then there are two entries with 4 points, and the last one has 3 points.
The two translations that got 4 points each are in tie for the 4th place, if there was such a place named. In these contests only the winner is recognized, there is no 2nd place, 3rd place, etc. given, except the entries are shown in descending order based on the points they got.
But maybe I misunderstood your question.

Miguel Cabelo
Miguel Cabelo  Identity Verified
Spanish to Portuguese
+ ...
Standardized information Dec 29, 2007

Dear Katalin,
It is there, I see now. I was not aware of the Standardized information option. Thank you for your help. Miguel

Katalin Horvath McClure wrote:

Miguel Cabelo wrote:
I was trying to view my certificate but I simply cannot find this "contests won" section on my profile. Any help would be welcome.

Miguel

Miguel,
I just looked at your profile, and it is there.
When I opened your profile, I had to click on the "Click for standardized information" link to open up the regular information table. The last row is the "Contests won" row.
I hope this helps.
Katalin

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
I was mistaken Dec 30, 2007

Katalin Horvath McClure wrote:

I looked at the French-German contest page and I see the winner has 13 points.
The second entry has 6 points, the third has 5, then there are two entries with 4 points, and the last one has 3 points.

But maybe I misunderstood your question.

Ok, you are perfectly right, the third entry had 5 points and only the next two ones had 4 points.

But this does not change the kernel of my question: if two or more translations get the same amount of points, when it comes to determine the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place, how exactly does it work?

Thank you for any clarifications.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fifth ProZ.com Translation Contest: announcement of winners!

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »