https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_translation_contests/98806-6th_prozcom_translation_contest%3A_submission_deadlines.html

6th ProZ.com Translation Contest: submission deadlines!
Thread poster: RominaZ
RominaZ
RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 4, 2008

Dear All,

The submission phase of the 6th ProZ.com Translation Contest,
with the theme "Relationships" will close on March 5, 15 GMT
in language pairs with more than 6 entries. In language pairs
with fewer than 6 entries, submission will be open until March
18, 15 GMT.

For the first time in ProZ.com Translation Contest history there
are 92 language pairs in the competition! Thanks to the community
for their interest and participation
... See more
Dear All,

The submission phase of the 6th ProZ.com Translation Contest,
with the theme "Relationships" will close on March 5, 15 GMT
in language pairs with more than 6 entries. In language pairs
with fewer than 6 entries, submission will be open until March
18, 15 GMT.

For the first time in ProZ.com Translation Contest history there
are 92 language pairs in the competition! Thanks to the community
for their interest and participation.

If you haven't done so yet, please enter the contest now and show
your skills to the community. But hurry! The final voting phase will
start on March 18th.

Even if you do not participate by submitting an entry, you are
invited to cast your vote and help decide on the winner in your
language pair(s).

To see the texts, submit your entry or vote, please go to
http://www.proz.com/contests .

You can find more information about ProZ.com Translation Contests
here http://www.proz.com/?sp=contests&sp_mode=faqs .

Best regards,

Romina
ProZ.com staff
Collapse

patyjs
patyjs  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:48
Spanish to English
+ ...
Hi Romina, Mar 4, 2008

The deadline for entries is March 5, but March 18 for pairs with under 6 entries, and the final voting begins on March 18, right?

What happens to the entries between March 5 and 18? If they do nothing but sit around counting the hours until someone gets to vote on them, why not extend the submission period for all entries until March 18.

I only ask because my own entry is not ready, so I would love to have more time. Please. Pretty please. ...
See more
The deadline for entries is March 5, but March 18 for pairs with under 6 entries, and the final voting begins on March 18, right?

What happens to the entries between March 5 and 18? If they do nothing but sit around counting the hours until someone gets to vote on them, why not extend the submission period for all entries until March 18.

I only ask because my own entry is not ready, so I would love to have more time. Please. Pretty please.

[Edited at 2008-03-04 19:27]
Collapse

RominaZ
RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Qualification phase Mar 5, 2008

patyjs wrote:

I only ask because my own entry is not ready, so I would love to have more time. Please. Pretty please.

[Edited at 2008-03-04 19:27]

Entries in language pairs with more than six entries move to the qualification phase. This is useful for language pairs that received a great number of entries. The qualification phase will be open until March 18, 15 GMT.

The submission phase in language pairs with 6 or fewer entries will remain open until March 18, 15 GMT. So all the members working on those pairs can still enter the contest.

I hope this answer your question.

Regards,

Romina

Daniel Burns (X)
Daniel Burns (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:48
Spanish to English
+ ...
Is anyone else having these problems? Mar 5, 2008

When I open the full text of entry 4126 (and perhaps some of the others) on the Spanish-English in order to read and grade, it and all the other entries suddenly require scrolling in order to read, which is extremely inconvenient. Also, my Mozilla Firefox will not open the full text of the English-Spanish entries, although Internet Explorer will.

Edited to add: Both these problems have now been corrected.

[Edited at 2008-03-05 22:30]

Hilde Granlund
Hilde Granlund  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 09:48
English to Norwegian
+ ...
gender - or not... Mar 6, 2008

One of the most interesting words in this contest's text - from a translator's point of view is "man"
Male - or human being?
Some of the language pairs that I understand are already underway. Some are still accepting edits.

In my language (Norwegian) - the English word "man" can be translated "menneske" (human being) or "mann" - (male human being...)
I opted for the last choice this time, since the author of this text was so obviously male, and the references to Od
... See more
One of the most interesting words in this contest's text - from a translator's point of view is "man"
Male - or human being?
Some of the language pairs that I understand are already underway. Some are still accepting edits.

In my language (Norwegian) - the English word "man" can be translated "menneske" (human being) or "mann" - (male human being...)
I opted for the last choice this time, since the author of this text was so obviously male, and the references to Odysseus and the woman who never lets the dust settle for too long are so obviously male also.
But reading the other submitted texts (in other languages) - I seem to be fairly alone in this...
Are we striving too much to be politically correct here?

Do females even recognize the dilemmas the author outlines here
I look forward to an interesting discussion.
Collapse

Sonja Köppen
Sonja Köppen  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
I think the outlined problem is not gender-specific. Mar 6, 2008

Women have always been more or less restricted in their possibilities to express their sexual desires. I'd thus be careful to deduct any systematic variations between genders' wants just because men tend to make a greater hassle of the matter.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

6th ProZ.com Translation Contest: submission deadlines!

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »