Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
(STAFF) New site design update
Thread poster: Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Local time: 01:22
SITE STAFF
May 8, 2003

Thank you all for your wonderful feedback about the new site design. I\'ve tried to implement as many of your suggestions as possible, including changes to the fonts, renaming navigation links, rearranging pages, bringing back the search box in the lower left of each page, and a variety of bug fixes and enhancements.

The new design is now the default for all non-logged in users. In the relatively near future, it will become the default for *all* members, although those tha
... See more
Thank you all for your wonderful feedback about the new site design. I\'ve tried to implement as many of your suggestions as possible, including changes to the fonts, renaming navigation links, rearranging pages, bringing back the search box in the lower left of each page, and a variety of bug fixes and enhancements.

The new design is now the default for all non-logged in users. In the relatively near future, it will become the default for *all* members, although those that truly dislike it will still have the opportunity to revert to the (unmaintained) old design.

As always, I welcome further suggestions -- please post your comments in this thread.

Regards,

jg
Collapse

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Local time: 07:22
German to English
+ ...
Okay, here go my two euro-cents May 8, 2003

Can you make the items at the top right of the screen (Home/Kudoz/Jobs/Directory/Community/Tools/MyProz.com/About) have those clever drop down menus so that when I go up there with my mouse I can see if that really does include the \"sub-area\" I am looking for?

Am I making sense or is it too late at night already..... ?-)

Alison

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Directory search May 8, 2003

Jason, could you please add \"Field: all\" to the Directory search (for both freelancers and agencies)? At present \"tech/engineering\" is default and \"all\" is absent.

Thank you,

Natalia

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:22
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Site Status May 8, 2003

Hi Jason,

thank you for all your efforts and the search box on all pages

I still miss the Site Status page... okay, when the site is down, a better visibility won\'t help much, but for smaller troubles, like BrowniZ jumping up & down, delayed notifications or whatever, definitely informative...

Personally, I would welcome \"general\" FAQs on the Main Page as well, perhaps important for
... See more
Hi Jason,

thank you for all your efforts and the search box on all pages

I still miss the Site Status page... okay, when the site is down, a better visibility won\'t help much, but for smaller troubles, like BrowniZ jumping up & down, delayed notifications or whatever, definitely informative...

Personally, I would welcome \"general\" FAQs on the Main Page as well, perhaps important for newcomers, but not only.

Giuliana
[addsig]
Collapse

Elías Sauza
Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 23:22
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Quick access May 8, 2003

Jason,

I would like to have all the quick links as in the old design on the left side of the home page.

Thanks so much

Elias Sauza

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:22
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Spanish translation, ASAP May 8, 2003

Jason

We do need to edit the site Spanish translation, ASAP! I\'ve already asked an international group of volunteers to do that job! As I\'ve agreed with Marta few months ago, I\'ll be in charge of that team effort. We\'re ready to cooperate, we have to do it!

Regards,

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:22
German to English
This page May 9, 2003

http://www.proz.com/?sp=info/&ssp=for_translators&sssp=events

is in serious need of an update - 2001 is long gone!

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
drop-down menus, pls May 9, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-05-08 20:56, alison1969 wrote:

Can you make the items at the top right of the screen (Home/Kudoz/Jobs/Directory/Community/Tools/MyProz.com/About) have those clever drop down menus so that when I go up there with my mouse I can see if that really does include the \"sub-area\" I am looking for?

Like Alison, I would love to have all the navigation links in the same spot rather than spread acr... See more
Quote:

On 2003-05-08 20:56, alison1969 wrote:

Like Alison, I would love to have all the navigation links in the same spot rather than spread across 2 sides of the window, and to be able to go straight to the sub-section I\'m interested in (already mentioned in previous thread on site design).

Would be much more efficient, and clear.

Roberta ▲ Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Dropdown menus May 9, 2003

We discussed the very same issue on the moderators\' list - I recall Jason mentioning a compatibility issue: dropdown menus might not work properly on each of the various browsers used. Jason?

Ralf

langnet
langnet  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to German
+ ...
Thank you, Jason. This is much better (but see below...) May 9, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-05-08 22:10, Elías Sauza wrote:

Jason,

I would like to have all the quick links as in the old design on the left side of the home page.

If there could be an expanding quick link menu (the \"site map\" type) on the left it would be perfect!

Cheers,

Claudia

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Drop-down menus May 10, 2003

Originally I was opposed to the idea of drop-down menus for the reasons Ralf has mentioned: cross-platform compatibility is very important to ProZ.com so that the site is accessible to as many users as possible.

However, this seems to be one of the most frequently requested features for the new design. I\'ll try to figure something out that works for browsers that support dynamic HTML, yet fails gracefully for those that don\'t. Stay tuned.

Regards,... See more
Originally I was opposed to the idea of drop-down menus for the reasons Ralf has mentioned: cross-platform compatibility is very important to ProZ.com so that the site is accessible to as many users as possible.

However, this seems to be one of the most frequently requested features for the new design. I\'ll try to figure something out that works for browsers that support dynamic HTML, yet fails gracefully for those that don\'t. Stay tuned.

Regards,

jg
Collapse

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Why search "all" fields in the directory? May 10, 2003

Natalie,

The \"search all fields\" option was removed from the directory in order to encourage outsourcers to target their searches more carefully. Can you explain why you miss that feature?

Regards,

jg

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Site map on the way May 10, 2003

A comprehensive site map is a great idea; it\'s in the works now.

Regards,

jg

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
New site localization project still being developed May 10, 2003

Clarisa,

In the next couple of months we\'ll be starting a new ProZ.com localization project that will hopefully address some of the difficulties that we encountered in our previous attempt. As soon as it\'s ready, there will be a call for volunteers. I really appreciate your interest in this project, and I agree that it is a high priority for the site.

Regards,

jg

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Site status still available May 10, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-05-08 21:19, Giuliana wrote:

I still miss the Site Status page...

Giuliana,

The site status page is still available in the new design. Just go to About -> Site Status. Hopefully the upcoming site map will make both this and the FAQs easier to find.

Regards,

jg

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

(STAFF) New site design update

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »