Thread poster: Maya Jurt
Maya Jurt
Maya Jurt  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 03:18
French to German
+ ...
May 9, 2003

I have not been on the proZ site for a quite a while, but this morning, I got an amazing mail from [email protected] (an address especially created for me? I\'m flattered!).

Here it is:

\"You have been sent a message via your ProZ.com page.

Author: A victim of your nastiness

-----------

\'I believe cheap attacks below the belt -

we have seen ma
... See more
I have not been on the proZ site for a quite a while, but this morning, I got an amazing mail from [email protected] (an address especially created for me? I\'m flattered!).

Here it is:

\"You have been sent a message via your ProZ.com page.

Author: A victim of your nastiness

-----------

\'I believe cheap attacks below the belt -

we have seen many of those - should be

banned\'.

What a lying hypocrite you are. I well

remember the disgusting attacks you

launched on people in KudoZ questions.\"

and that is all, no signature, no link to the profile of this person.

Such mails do not astonish me, it happens from time to time and I got worse in the past. However, I am stunned to see that proZ members are allowed to send anomymous mails.

How come? Is that a new feature?

And where does this lead to?

Still amazed

Maya

Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Submit the mail to ProZ.com May 9, 2003

Hi Maya,

I take it you checked that there wasn\'t a profile shown in the mail (as it would when sent by a member). If all you see is the e-mail address, this message must have been sent by a non-member (more precisely: by someone who was not logged in as a ProZ.com member at the time of sending the message).

Note that this function is available to facilitate being contacted by non-members, too - after all, it could be a potential client. Of course that means it\'s
... See more
Hi Maya,

I take it you checked that there wasn\'t a profile shown in the mail (as it would when sent by a member). If all you see is the e-mail address, this message must have been sent by a non-member (more precisely: by someone who was not logged in as a ProZ.com member at the time of sending the message).

Note that this function is available to facilitate being contacted by non-members, too - after all, it could be a potential client. Of course that means it\'s open to abuse - but so is every point of contact that\'s available without having to log in.

I suggest you submit the offending message (including all headers) to Jason ([email protected]) - maybe he is able to trace where the message came from. If you prefer, send it to me, and I\'ll follow it up.

HTH - best regards, Ralf
Collapse

Maya Jurt
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I checked May 9, 2003

Hi Ralf,

I just forwarded the whole message to you. But how can Jason find out where this hotmail-address called Maya666 comes from?

A better way is to remember what has happened in the past and narrow down the choices. I can guess, but I am really not too interested in finding out. The fact is that anyonymous messages are possible on proZ.

And I do not think this should be possible. Certainly not when the \"potential client\" is using a hotmail address..
... See more
Hi Ralf,

I just forwarded the whole message to you. But how can Jason find out where this hotmail-address called Maya666 comes from?

A better way is to remember what has happened in the past and narrow down the choices. I can guess, but I am really not too interested in finding out. The fact is that anyonymous messages are possible on proZ.

And I do not think this should be possible. Certainly not when the \"potential client\" is using a hotmail address....

Greetings

Maya
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Not a specific ProZ.com problem May 9, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-05-09 08:47, mayagyan wrote:

Hi Ralf,

That\'s impossible, of course - which is why I requested the headers. Since the message was passed through the ProZ.com server, there may be a chance of reconciling something (admittedly, that\'s a pretty remote one, but... See more
Quote:

On 2003-05-09 08:47, mayagyan wrote:

Hi Ralf,

That\'s impossible, of course - which is why I requested the headers. Since the message was passed through the ProZ.com server, there may be a chance of reconciling something (admittedly, that\'s a pretty remote one, but worth trying).

Quote:
The fact is that anyonymous messages are possible on proZ.

And I do not think this should be possible. Certainly not when the \"potential client\" is using a hotmail address....

Which even potential clients sometimes do.

See it this way: your profile has a link to your FairTradeNet site, on which you\'re showing an e-mail address - that hate mail could have been sent through that address, with the added inconvenience that the actual address is visible (which isn\'t the case when sending mail through your profile), opening the door to mass-mailing attacks.

Of course there are all sorts of \"open doors\", but that\'s the flip side of open communication. I get all sorts of trash through various addresses (and that has included various facets of hate mail), but that\'s what filters are for...

Best, Ralf ▲ Collapse

Maya Jurt
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Who is that "bishop"? May 9, 2003

Received: from nobody by bishop.proz.com with local (Exim 3.35 #1 (Debian))

id 19E2XE-0004dO-00

for ; Fri, 09 May 2003 07:43:16 +0000

To: [email protected]

Subject: [ProZ.com Mail] Your nastiness

Reply-To: [email protected]

X-
... See more
Received: from nobody by bishop.proz.com with local (Exim 3.35 #1 (Debian))

id 19E2XE-0004dO-00

for ; Fri, 09 May 2003 07:43:16 +0000

To: [email protected]

Subject: [ProZ.com Mail] Your nastiness

Reply-To: [email protected]

X-Mailer: PHP/4.3.0

Message-Id:

Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 07:43:16 +0000

And apologies to all the other \"Bishops\"

Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Server name May 9, 2003

Maya,

As I just pointed out in a private message to you, that\'s one of the servers at ProZ.com.

Ralf

Maya Jurt
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry, no more information May 9, 2003

Too bad, I thought we had a link to a profile.

But that\'s all I got.

Maya

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 21:18
SITE FOUNDER
we will investigate May 9, 2003

Maya,

With some detective work, it is often possible to find out who sent something via a profile page. Maybe in this case we will be able to.

But as Ralf pointed out, on an ongoing basis the question is whether or not to allow people you do not know to contact you. If the choice is made to faciliate contact from outsiders--who may be clients--that opens the door to what you call anonymous emails. (Actually, no more anonymous than any email!)

<
... See more
Maya,

With some detective work, it is often possible to find out who sent something via a profile page. Maybe in this case we will be able to.

But as Ralf pointed out, on an ongoing basis the question is whether or not to allow people you do not know to contact you. If the choice is made to faciliate contact from outsiders--who may be clients--that opens the door to what you call anonymous emails. (Actually, no more anonymous than any email!)

We do do the minimum: we require a name and an email address with a valid format. Short of sending an email out and getting confirmation back, which would be impractical, there is little more that could be done to prevent someone from writing to you with whatever name they wish to use.

One moderator has suggested giving people a way to turn the \"send mail to this member\" option on and off. Then, that would put the decision in your hands, not ours.
Collapse

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Maya May 9, 2003

I\'m sorry that this happened to you, but anyone who can reach to your profile (via Google for instance) can write to you.

I got one unpleasant mail and lots of good ones, not only for professional reasons, but also from old friends who found me.

I wouldn\'t like to loose that option because of a few people who make a bad use of it.

As this person mentions KudoZ it\'s likely that (s)he\'s from the site. (S)he doesn\'t sign. Forget it, it\'s not worth th
... See more
I\'m sorry that this happened to you, but anyone who can reach to your profile (via Google for instance) can write to you.

I got one unpleasant mail and lots of good ones, not only for professional reasons, but also from old friends who found me.

I wouldn\'t like to loose that option because of a few people who make a bad use of it.

As this person mentions KudoZ it\'s likely that (s)he\'s from the site. (S)he doesn\'t sign. Forget it, it\'s not worth thinking of that any more.
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
We have an IP address... May 9, 2003

...and 95% certainty of the culprit (despite his attempt to hide his identity by connecting separately to ProZ.com using a second dialup account).

We have notified the offender\'s ISP. (He must go through ISPs regularly.) I\'ll send you our findings offline, Maya.

Maya Jurt
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good news! May 9, 2003

Thanks Henry, for taking this seriously and acting on it. I am glad you found the person, because it might deter other shenanigans for imitating him.

Happy week-end to all

Maya

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Make that 100%... May 9, 2003

It is just John Kinory wiling away another Friday sending hate mail to ProZ.com members.

Nothing better to do? I repeat my challenge, John: go out and direct your energies at bringing together a group of people who meet your high standards, instead of the constant potshots (oddly, always at women...)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anonymous mails from ProZ members?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »