Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Premature and inappropriate squashing
Thread poster: Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 09:53
German to English
+ ...
Jan 23, 2002

How unfriendly can you get?

I just answered a question posted by Beth Kantus. It had to do with a foreign business name, and I had just encountered that very same abbreviation in one of my own translations. So, I took some time out to answer her question and help her out, and she goes and squashes the whole question herself.

So, if you ever needed an example of inappropriate squashing, here it is. The squash feature must be disabled.

... See more
How unfriendly can you get?

I just answered a question posted by Beth Kantus. It had to do with a foreign business name, and I had just encountered that very same abbreviation in one of my own translations. So, I took some time out to answer her question and help her out, and she goes and squashes the whole question herself.

So, if you ever needed an example of inappropriate squashing, here it is. The squash feature must be disabled.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-01-27 01:46 ]
Collapse

John Kinory (X)
John Kinory (X)
Local time: 14:53
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Did she give an explanation? Jan 23, 2002

Thanks for warning us: this is one member I\'ll never help out (are you reading this, BC?).
[addsig]

Bertha S. Deffenbaugh
Bertha S. Deffenbaugh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sometimes "colleagues" go to extremes Jan 23, 2002

... in their bad temper or in their................competitiveness....

BSD

Dyran Altenburg (X)
Dyran Altenburg (X)  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sometmes squashing is ok Jan 23, 2002

I don\'t know the details of the question mentioned by Werner but, I can tell you that I once squashed a question I posted because none of the answers made any sense.

I posted another question about a week ago and none of the answers solve my problem this time either.

If I don\'t squash it, I\'ll have to give out points for something I cannot use. Now, how does that make sense?

Andrea Bullrich
Andrea Bullrich  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:53
English to Spanish
No need to squash those! Jan 23, 2002

No, Dyran, there\'s no need to squash those questions: you just decline all answers (click on \"decline\" instead of \"choose this answer\" when you grade).

Andrea

Andrea Bullrich
English to Spanish
Is it possible that she didn't see your answer? Jan 23, 2002

Werner,

I think there\'s a possibility she found out the answer herself and deleted the question so soon after you answered that she didn\'t see you. I remember the same thing happened to a question in Eng>Sp and Bertha gave this very reasonable explanation. The link is http://www.proz.com/?sp=h&eid_c=3087&id=90522&keyword=explicar.

Andrea

Bertha S. Deffenbaugh
Bertha S. Deffenbaugh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, that could have been the reason... Jan 23, 2002

Werner, perhaps the asker did not see your answer.

Now that Andrea brought it up, I remember that incident. It frequently happens that AT THE SAME TIME YOU ARE ANSWERING, ANOTHER PERSON IS SQUASHING, and it gives you the feeling that your answer has been squashed AFTER being read...

BSD

Dyran Altenburg (X)
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
What happens then? Jan 23, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-01-23 20:57, AIM wrote:

No, Dyran, there\'s no need to squash those questions: you just decline all answers (click on \"decline\" instead of \"choose this answer\" when you grade).

That option didn\'t exist the first time I squashed a question (about two years ago.)

So, if I decline all answers, what happens then? Does one get chosen anyway and put in the gl... See more
Quote:

That option didn\'t exist the first time I squashed a question (about two years ago.)

So, if I decline all answers, what happens then? Does one get chosen anyway and put in the glossary?

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-01-23 21:34 ]Collapse

Andrea Bullrich
English to Spanish
I'm pretty sure no KudoZ are awarded, but maybe someone could confirm? Jan 23, 2002

Dyran, I remembered this question had been posted sometime ago, but I had to take out my compass to find it...

Here\'s the link: http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&eid_c=3087&topic=77&forum=13&6

It looks like no KudoZ are awarded, but Nikki Graham\'s question remained unanswered, so maybe we could have confirmation
... See more
Dyran, I remembered this question had been posted sometime ago, but I had to take out my compass to find it...

Here\'s the link: http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&eid_c=3087&topic=77&forum=13&6

It looks like no KudoZ are awarded, but Nikki Graham\'s question remained unanswered, so maybe we could have confirmation about this?

Andrea
Collapse

Jon Zuber (X)
Jon Zuber (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
There's a problem with declining all answers. Jan 23, 2002

Quote:

Andrea

This still doesn\'t keep the system from sending you reminders to grade the thing, which I think is unfortunate.

Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
erring on the side of not squashing Jan 24, 2002

[quote]

Dear colleagues,

If no answer is acceptable, there\'s no need to squash the question. Simply decline all answers when you\'re reminded to grade them. Someone might even go back to that question AFTER you\'ve declined all answers. I think the link will still work.

I suggest that everybody should err on the side of caution when deciding to squash or not. As one mod said: \'there\'s someone in need when a question is posted\'. The vast majority of Proz queries come from fellow professionals. And most of the contentious posts are easy questions anyway (which don\'t give you any points but simply satisfaction for having answered).

Again, my point is that paying members who post Proz queries are responsible all in all. There will always be someone who is glad to help out.

Marcus

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's all OK Jan 24, 2002

Just received a reply from Beth. She says she realized it too late.

But the fact remains that something should be done about squashing. For example, a question should be squashed only if 2 people decided to do so. Once, that question has 2 strikes against it, it will be squashed. An important decision like that should not be left to a single individual.

Dyran Altenburg (X)
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
The question I squashed was my own Jan 24, 2002

I don\'t see how that can affect anybody else.

Beate Lutzebaeck
Beate Lutzebaeck  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 01:53
English to German
+ ...
I squashed my own question! Inappropriate? Unfriendly? - I don't think so! Jan 24, 2002

Given that I was the one seeking help, I didn\'t think this would be a problem. After my question remained unanswered for about two hours (and me not exactly leaning back and letting other people do the work for me while I\'m twiddling my thumbs), I figured the answer out myself, i.e. there was no longer any need for help. Considering that the default 50-question page gets clogged very easily, I even thought I would do others a favour by removing an obsolete question.

Unfort
... See more
Given that I was the one seeking help, I didn\'t think this would be a problem. After my question remained unanswered for about two hours (and me not exactly leaning back and letting other people do the work for me while I\'m twiddling my thumbs), I figured the answer out myself, i.e. there was no longer any need for help. Considering that the default 50-question page gets clogged very easily, I even thought I would do others a favour by removing an obsolete question.

Unfortunately, a while after I had already squashed the question, Nicole Cochrum posted an answer - I actually received the notification about half an hour after squashing. I apologise to Nicole for wasting her time - that was certainly not my intention.

Werner, please give people the benefit of the doubt - having seen the many valuable contributions that Beth Kantus has made to KudoZ, I wouldn\'t have had any doubts as to her intentions.

Best wishes from down under

Beate Lutzebäck
Collapse

Sven Petersson
Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 15:53
English to Swedish
+ ...
Squashing is the electronic form of book burning. Jan 24, 2002

Squashing is the electronic form of book burning.

Squashing is inherently evil and should be forbidden.

Free Speech is a Human Right!

May it one day reach ProZ!

Sven.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Premature and inappropriate squashing

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »