https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_translator_coop/126284-announcing_invoice_tool_updates_data_export_online_payment_pdf_invoices_templates_more-page6.html?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8] >
Announcing invoice tool updates: data export, online payment, PDF invoices, templates, more
Thread poster: Jason Grimes
Rick Janssen
Rick Janssen
Netherlands
Local time: 21:32
English to Dutch
+ ...
Changing VAT to NIF Feb 13, 2009

Laura Calvo Valdivielso wrote:

In case you didn't noticed it, Jason, I'd like to add another string to list of localizables. It is the "tax ID name" in the freelancer's details box. In my case (Spain) it reads only as "VAT", whereas I need it to read as "NIF" (=Número de Identificación Fiscal).
Besides that, it's a fantastatic tool, Jason! I'll most probably adopt it soon. Many thanks.

Hi Laura,

You can change that yourself. If you go to the Settings tab and select Tax Settings in the menu on the left, you can change VAT to whatever you like. I already did this for my Dutch termplate, and it worked.

Good luck!

[Bijgewerkt op 2009-02-13 13:14 GMT]

Kimberly De Haan
Kimberly De Haan  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:32
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Instructions? Feb 13, 2009

I've been looking at the tool and would love to try it.
However, since all my invoices need to be in French or Italian, I wanted to create custom templates. I've been looking and looking, but just can't figure out how to do this. Are there any step-by-step instructions anywhere to walk us through the creation process?
I may be just not computer literate enough, but I need help.

Thanks

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Updates released: custom units, Blue Board/project history, data export, A/P, and more Feb 13, 2009

A number of requested updates to the invoicing tool have just been released. New features include:

• User-defined units of measure
  • Blue Board and project history integration
  • Export invoice and client data to spreadsheet (for backup or custom processing)
  • Accounts payable tab to track invoices received
  • Online payment form for clients to pay via Paypal and/or Moneybookers
  • More, including discounts/surcharges and improved tax/cur... See more
  • A number of requested updates to the invoicing tool have just been released. New features include:

• User-defined units of measure
  • Blue Board and project history integration
  • Export invoice and client data to spreadsheet (for backup or custom processing)
  • Accounts payable tab to track invoices received
  • Online payment form for clients to pay via Paypal and/or Moneybookers
  • More, including discounts/surcharges and improved tax/currency support (e.g. Italian tax rules and JPY currency rounding)

Click here to try the new features now (ProZ.com members-only).

Learn more about the invoicing tool.

As you know, development of the invoicing tool is driven by member feedback. Thank you to everyone who has helped improve it so far by sharing their ideas and experience.

If you have any questions, comments, or feature requests, please share them in this forum topic.

Thanks and best regards,

Jason ▲ Collapse

•  
    Jason Grimes
    Jason Grimes
    SITE STAFF
    TOPIC STARTER
    Custom units now available; invoices can be sent via email Feb 13, 2009

Marcelle Bethancourt wrote:
    This new invoicing tool seems quite good to me; however I have a comment: Most of the time I charge in days for interpretation jobs, however the word "day(s)" does not appear under "unit".

Hi Marcelle,

As of this morning you can add whatever unit of measure you like. Just select "[edit]" from the list of units, and specify "day(s)" in the "Edit custom units" form.

Besides, I understand that this invoicing tool is meant to be sent as an attachment and cannot be sent directly to the client's e-mail, right?

You can send the invoice as an HTML email, or as a PDF email attachment, directly to the client. Try sending a test invoice to yourself to see how this works.

Best regards,

Jason

Rick Janssen
    Rick Janssen
    Netherlands
    English to Dutch
    + ...
    Custom templates Feb 13, 2009

Kimberly De Haan wrote:

However, since all my invoices need to be in French or Italian, I wanted to create custom templates. I've been looking and looking, but just can't figure out how to do this. Are there any step-by-step instructions anywhere to walk us through the creation process?

Thanks

It's quite easy, really.

- Go to http://www.proz.com/invoice/
    - Click on 'Translate or customize invoice templates'
    - Click on 'Create a new custom template'
    - You can now edit your invoice. Just be sure not to change anything between %% (like %invoice_num%), these fields are filled in automatically.
    - Type in a template name at the top (like 'French' or 'Italian') and click 'Save template' at the bottom.

That's about it. Hope this helps.

[Bijgewerkt op 2009-02-13 16:17 GMT]

[Bijgewerkt op 2009-02-13 18:08 GMT]

Jason Grimes
    Jason Grimes
    SITE STAFF
    TOPIC STARTER
    Good localization suggestions, thanks Feb 13, 2009

Rick Janssen wrote:
    One more thing (well OK, two): Would it be possible to edit the subject line of the invoice email as well? It now says "Invoice XXX from [company name]", but I would like to be able to change this to Dutch as well.
    Same question for the file name of the PDF. I understand this is generated automatically, but is there any way I can change this?

Hi Rick,

These are both great suggestions. I'll add them both to the release plan for the invoice localization feature.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason Grimes
    Jason Grimes
    SITE STAFF
    TOPIC STARTER
    Will include localized number formatting in upcoming release Feb 13, 2009

casey wrote:
    Thanks for updating the way that the decimals work with yen. Still, I would like to keep the commas in the numbers. For example, 3000 yen should be 3,000 yen. To me it just makes it easier to read.

Hi Casey,

Localized number formatting is planned for an upcoming release. (That is, displaying numbers like "3.000,00" or "3,000.00" (or in your case, "3,000"), depending on the locale).

Thanks,

Jason

Jason Grimes
    Jason Grimes
    SITE STAFF
    TOPIC STARTER
    Rudimentary Moneybookers and Paypal support added Feb 13, 2009

Alexander Parkhomov wrote:
    One dream (fantasy) - if it is possible make an agreement between Moneybookers and PayPal and Prozcom. It could increase number of customers for them, add some money for Proz.com, and no need to create invoice twice. Probably it is unsafe to create a line with Moneybookers account (E-mail).
    In any case it is splendid work.
    Alexander

Hi Alexander,

As of this morning, rudimentary support for Moneybookers and Paypal has been added. When a client views your invoice online, if you have a Moneybookers and/or Paypal email address configured in your profile (and if you have not disabled this option in your payment gateway settings), the client will see a form to pay the invoice online using one of those services.

Currently, you must still manually record payments received in this way in order to close your invoices. In the future, it could be possible to automatically record invoice payments from Moneybookers or Paypal, if that's a feature members are interested in.

Best regards,

Jason

Jason Grimes
    Jason Grimes
    SITE STAFF
    TOPIC STARTER
    How best to import project data into an invoice? Feb 13, 2009

Damijan Jamsek wrote:
    When you created the new online invoicing tool, I was excited at first. However, to make the tool really useful (at least to me), it should have the following features incorporated:

- Keeping record of projects at they go, with customizable fields (My project history is not OK for this purpose because it forces me to enter irrelevant data. I need something more straightforward).

- Automatic creation of invoices based on that project list.

At present, the new invoicing system (otherwise a great tool) forces me to still build the list in Excel, and then (at invoice creation time), I have to copy-paste it into the invoice. This greatly hinders the actual usefulness lf the whole system.

Hi Damijan,

A project tracking system could be an option for future development. But I wonder if there's an intermediate solution that would make this easier no matter what project tracking tool was used--some kind of import option to help you create invoices from your own project tracking system.

Currently, throughout the month, I keep record of projects done (customer, project name, PO number, words, rate, PM, …). Then, at invoicing time, I make a copy of the existing invoice for a particular client, replace due date and project contents (emphasis added), export to PDF and send it to client. At the same time I update my XLS list with the invoice number and due date.

I think the key is how you "replace due date and project contents" in your invoice. How exactly do you do this? Do you use identical columns in your invoice and project tracking spreadsheet, so that you just copy/paste from one into the other? Perhaps a feature could be added to the online invoicing tool that allowed you to import from your spreadsheet into an invoice in a similar way.

Thanks for the helpful feedback.

Best regards,

Jason

Anabel Granados
    Anabel Granados  Identity Verified
    United States
    Local time: 12:32
    Member (2007)
    Spanish to English
    + ...
    Thanks for all of the changes Feb 13, 2009

Thanks for all of the changes you have made. I know that as a developer, it's sometimes quite difficult to keep up with everyone's suggestions and concerns. I love this tool!

Take care,
    Anabel

Jason Grimes
    Jason Grimes
    SITE STAFF
    TOPIC STARTER
    How do you digitally sign your invoices now? (Hard-copy could be a workaround) Feb 13, 2009

Richard Stephen wrote:
    I am very interested in using your online invoicing tool, however, in Germany the tax authorities require bills with a digital signature. Without such a feature I cannot use the system.

Hi Richard,

Support for digital signatures is under consideration as a possible future improvement. How do you handle this in your own invoices now?

One member in Germany has told me he simply prints out his invoices, signs them, and sends as a paper "hard copy" in order to deal with this requirement. That's one way to do it, which is supported in the current invoicing tool.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason Grimes
    Jason Grimes
    SITE STAFF
    TOPIC STARTER
    Will allow entering any tax ID name in your own profile Feb 13, 2009

Laura Calvo Valdivielso wrote:
    In case you didn't noticed it, Jason, I'd like to add another string to list of localizables. It is the "tax ID name" in the freelancer's details box. In my case (Spain) it reads only as "VAT", whereas I need it to read as "NIF" (=Número de Identificación Fiscal).
    Besides that, it's a fantastatic tool, Jason! I'll most probably adopt it soon. Many thanks.

Hi Laura,

Do I understand correctly that you refer to your own tax ID, which you specify in your profile? I see that the profile updater only allows you to choose one of a small number of possible tax ID names. I will ask a developer to change that so any tax ID name can be entered in the profile updater.

Thanks,

Jason

neilmac
    neilmac
    Spain
    Spanish to English
    + ...
    Maybe I'm in the wrong language pair Feb 13, 2009

Doris Schoeller wrote:

I thought your invoice tool was quite a neat tool, until I realized that the word price when it has more than two digits, is rounded up to the nearest two digit amount, ie a wordprice of 0.135 rounds to 0.14 when saving the invoice.... which is no good!
    Cheers Doris

So you can charge 13.5 cents a word? I wish I'd kept up my German instead of going for Spanish!
    Seriously though, the issue Doris mentions is important, especially for large volume projects.

A question that just occurred to me is this: As this is an online service, what happens to the invoice information - is it secure and are archive copies stored somewhere with protected access?

[Edited at 2009-02-13 17:09 GMT]

Jason Grimes
    Jason Grimes
    SITE STAFF
    TOPIC STARTER
    Working with custom invoice templates Feb 13, 2009

Rick Janssen wrote:
    Kimberly De Haan wrote:

Thanks

It's quite easy, really.

- Go to http://www.proz.com/invoice/
    - Click on 'Translate or customize invoice templates'
    - Click on 'Create a new custom template'
    - You can now edit your invoice. Just be sure not to change anything between && (like %invoice_num%), these fields are filled in automatically.
    - Type in a template name at the top (like 'French' or 'Italian') and click 'Save template' at the bottom.

That's about it. Hope this helps.

[Bijgewerkt op 2009-02-13 16:17 GMT]

Thanks, Rick, that's a great summary.

Kimberly, if you're still having trouble, please let me know. Invoice templates are HTML, with special placeholders embedded in them. The template editor can be a little tricky until you get used to working with it. If you're comfortable editing raw HTML code, you can also click the "source" button and edit the HTML source code directly.

In a few weeks, some pre-translated invoice templates will be made available that should make things much easier.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason Grimes
    Jason Grimes
    SITE STAFF
    TOPIC STARTER
    Rounding issues fixed; more on invoice security Feb 13, 2009

neilmac wrote:
    Doris Schoeller wrote:
    I thought your invoice tool was quite a neat tool, until I realized that the word price when it has more than two digits, is rounded up to the nearest two digit amount, ie a wordprice of 0.135 rounds to 0.14 when saving the invoice.... which is no good!
    Cheers Doris

So you can charge 13.5 cents a word? I wish I'd kept up my German instead of going for Spanish!
    Seriously though, the issue Doris mentions is important, especially for large volume projects.

Hi Neil,

I think this problem has already been fixed, please let me know if you see it reappear.

A question that just occurred to me is this: As this is an online service, what happens to the invoice information - is it secure and are archive copies stored somewhere with protected access?

Yes to both. Please see this page for some information about data protection and security: http://www.proz.com/invoice/security

Thanks,

Jason

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Announcing invoice tool updates: data export, online payment, PDF invoices, templates, more

Trados Business Manager Lite
    Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
    Anycount & Translation Office 3000
    Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »