Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Invoicing updates: localized invoices, usability (non-members welcome)
Thread poster: Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Local time: 12:44
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
French invoice template shows units that way--is it incorrect? Mar 9, 2009

N.M. Eklund wrote:
I'm fiddling around with the invoices and noticed a tiny bug. Let me know if this is not the right forum for this.

I created a 'Days' unit in my French invoice, and when I saved the draft the volume number and volume label switched places, i.e. instead of reading "20 jours" it reads "jours 20".

Thanks!
Natalia

Hi Natalia,

The French invoice template shows units this way on purpose--I was under the impression that in French, numbers always come after the noun. Is this incorrect? Should the French invoice template show the unit as "{volume} {unit}" (ex. "20 jours") instead of "{unit} {volume}"? (Please note that any error in this regard was mine, and not that of the freelancer who translated the text of the invoice template into French.)

Thanks for your help.

Jason

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Invoice settings weren't always retained--should be fixed now Mar 9, 2009

Jesús Marín Mateos wrote:
That is my problem. In the invoice setting page I have put my bank account etc and the term as 30 days..... well it stays there for 1 day and next day it dissapears....not sure what to do....Thanks.

Hi Jesús,

I was finally able to reproduce this problem, and I think it is fixed now. Thanks very much for bringing it to my attention (twice!).

Several other users may also have been affected by this glitch, which caused invoice settings to revert to defaults in some cases. To anyone else who has updated their invoice settings on this page: please double-check those settings and update them again if they weren't retained. The problem should be resolved now, but if it happens again please do let me know. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

Best regards,

Jason

Chun Un
Chun Un  Identity Verified
Macau
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Bill To Mar 17, 2009

Hi Jason

This new tool has been great for me. I've been using it for two months now for actual invoicing and seeing it improving constantly. Thank you!

I'm just being nit-picking here: should 'Bill To' be 'Bill to' with a lowercase 't' to be consistent with the rest of the invoice?

Thank you again for the good work!

Chun

Hans G. Liepert
Hans G. Liepert  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 18:44
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Address Mar 17, 2009

Hi Jason,

the test invoice I was creating displayed in the address the ZIP code the usual US oder UK way (behind the city).
In Europe the ZIP code usually stands in front of the city (UK still considered to be a lonely island in the Atlantic).
While my Swiss canton (state) has been disabled in the profile, it reappears in the sender's address - which looks pretty weird.

Any help?

Kind regards
Hans

Jesús Marín Mateos
Jesús Marín Mateos  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:44
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks.... Mar 17, 2009

Have not been able to check but will keep an eye....thanks.
Jesus.

Jason Grimes wrote:

That is my problem. In the invoice setting page I have put my bank account etc and the term as 30 days..... well it stays there for 1 day and next day it dissapears....not sure what to do....Thanks.

Hi Jesús,

I was finally able to reproduce this problem, and I think it is fixed now. Thanks very much for bringing it to my attention (twice!).

Several other users may also have been affected by this glitch, which caused invoice settings to revert to defaults in some cases. To anyone else who has updated their invoice settings on this page: please double-check those settings and update them again if they weren't retained. The problem should be resolved now, but if it happens again please do let me know. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

Best regards,

Jason

Jesús Marín Mateos
Jesús Marín Mateos  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:44
English to Spanish
+ ...
Suggestion - Expenses Mar 17, 2009

Jason...
I am using this tool and have ditched my accountancy book..... hope it works.... however I am really missing the expenses pages I had where I put my expenses like train tickets, telephone charges, and others.... at the end of the year I only had to sum them all up and it was very helpful to do my selfassessment...... would it be possible to add something similar here????? If it were there I would add a line everytime I received some expenses......... I was thinking if payable was
... See more
Jason...
I am using this tool and have ditched my accountancy book..... hope it works.... however I am really missing the expenses pages I had where I put my expenses like train tickets, telephone charges, and others.... at the end of the year I only had to sum them all up and it was very helpful to do my selfassessment...... would it be possible to add something similar here????? If it were there I would add a line everytime I received some expenses......... I was thinking if payable was for this???? Not sure....
Thanks for your work.
Jesus.
Collapse

Khaled Al-Shehari
Khaled Al-Shehari  Identity Verified
Qatar
Local time: 19:44
English to Arabic
+ ...
Invoice goes to Spam folder Mar 17, 2009

Hi,
I'm really happy and grateful for such a brilliant tool and also for the so rapid improvment. This is a very highly achievement made by Proz.com. When I send an invoice to my client, I wonder why a copy of it comes to my spam folder in my yahoo mail. I'm afraid if this is also the case that the invoice goes to his/her spam folder!! Any way to prevent invoices go to spam folders other than adding the contact to the address book?
Regards,
Khaled

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
"Bill To" capitalization Mar 19, 2009

Chun Un wrote:
This new tool has been great for me. I've been using it for two months now for actual invoicing and seeing it improving constantly. Thank you!

I'm just being nit-picking here: should 'Bill To' be 'Bill to' with a lowercase 't' to be consistent with the rest of the invoice?

Hi Chun,

Thanks for the kind words, they are appreciated.

When you say that the capitalization of "Bill To" seems inconsistent with the rest of the invoice, are you referring to the standard English invoice template? It looks to me like headings in that template are all capitalized, so I'm not sure where you are seeing the inconsistency. Can you clarify?

Thanks,

Jason

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Will work on support for custom display address Mar 19, 2009

Hans G. Liepert wrote:
the test invoice I was creating displayed in the address the ZIP code the usual US oder UK way (behind the city).
In Europe the ZIP code usually stands in front of the city (UK still considered to be a lonely island in the Atlantic).
While my Swiss canton (state) has been disabled in the profile, it reappears in the sender's address - which looks pretty weird.

Hi Hans,

Thanks for pointing out this issue. I'll work on a way for users to specify in general how their addresses should be displayed, for cases like this in which the default address format doesn't make sense.

In the meantime, one way to work around this is to create a custom invoice template, and specify your address exactly as you would like it to appear.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jason

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Will consider expense tracking in the future Mar 19, 2009

I am using this tool and have ditched my accountancy book..... hope it works.... however I am really missing the expenses pages I had where I put my expenses like train tickets, telephone charges, and others.... at the end of the year I only had to sum them all up and it was very helpful to do my selfassessment...... would it be possible to add something similar here????? If it were there I would add a line everytime I received some expenses......... I was thinking if payable was for this???? Not sure....

Hi Jesús,

Thanks for the suggestion. I've added expense tracking to a list of future improvements to consider.

The "Payable" tab is something different; it shows invoices that have been issued to you by other service providers via the invoicing tool.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Will check on Yahoo spam issues Mar 19, 2009

Khaled Al-Shehari wrote:
I'm really happy and grateful for such a brilliant tool and also for the so rapid improvment. This is a very highly achievement made by Proz.com. When I send an invoice to my client, I wonder why a copy of it comes to my spam folder in my yahoo mail. I'm afraid if this is also the case that the invoice goes to his/her spam folder!! Any way to prevent invoices go to spam folders other than adding the contact to the address book?

Hi Khaled,

I'll check with ProZ.com's systems administrators about any issues with Yahoo incorrectly blocking ProZ.com mail as spam. Thanks for bringing this up.

Best regards,

Jason

Per Riise (X)
Per Riise (X)  Identity Verified
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
How to treat drafts Mar 19, 2009

I really like the concept of this invoicing tool, so here's my take on suggested improvements: I'd like the drafts to be created w/o having to add an invoice #. When I decide to save the invoice as an invoice (rather than a draft), that's when I should be prompted to add the invoice #. Tjhe reasoning behind this, is that sometimes, I do minor jobs for agencies, and since this is not a one-off (i.e. I don't put it on the house), they send me a PO for the job, and so I have to register this job so... See more
I really like the concept of this invoicing tool, so here's my take on suggested improvements: I'd like the drafts to be created w/o having to add an invoice #. When I decide to save the invoice as an invoice (rather than a draft), that's when I should be prompted to add the invoice #. Tjhe reasoning behind this, is that sometimes, I do minor jobs for agencies, and since this is not a one-off (i.e. I don't put it on the house), they send me a PO for the job, and so I have to register this job somewhere, but I don't intend to send an invoice for that small amount. I'd rather wait until the following month, when said agency comes back with a bigger job. As it is now, I'm stuck with an invoice # that doesn't match with the date (e.g.: invoice #5 is sent three months earlier than invoice #3).

I realize that I've done a turd of a job, trying to explain this, but I hope it comes across, nevertheless.
Collapse

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Supporting drafts without invoice numbers Mar 20, 2009

Per Riise wrote:

I really like the concept of this invoicing tool, so here's my take on suggested improvements: I'd like the drafts to be created w/o having to add an invoice #. When I decide to save the invoice as an invoice (rather than a draft), that's when I should be prompted to add the invoice #. Tjhe reasoning behind this, is that sometimes, I do minor jobs for agencies, and since this is not a one-off (i.e. I don't put it on the house), they send me a PO for the job, and so I have to register this job somewhere, but I don't intend to send an invoice for that small amount. I'd rather wait until the following month, when said agency comes back with a bigger job. As it is now, I'm stuck with an invoice # that doesn't match with the date (e.g.: invoice #5 is sent three months earlier than invoice #3).

Hi Per,

Thanks for the suggestion. It makes sense to me to allow draft invoices without invoice numbers. I'll add this to a list of future improvements.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Announcing new financial reports in invoicing tool Mar 20, 2009

Financial reports have been added to the invoicing tool. See the release announcement here. Please post any feedback in that forum topic.

Thanks,

Jason

Natalia Eklund
Natalia Eklund  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Volume then Unit in French Apr 24, 2009

Jason Grimes wrote:

N.M. Eklund wrote:
I'm fiddling around with the invoices and noticed a tiny bug. Let me know if this is not the right forum for this.

I created a 'Days' unit in my French invoice, and when I saved the draft the volume number and volume label switched places, i.e. instead of reading "20 jours" it reads "jours 20".

Thanks!
Natalia

Hi Natalia,

The French invoice template shows units this way on purpose--I was under the impression that in French, numbers always come after the noun. Is this incorrect? Should the French invoice template show the unit as "{volume} {unit}" (ex. "20 jours") instead of "{unit} {volume}"? (Please note that any error in this regard was mine, and not that of the freelancer who translated the text of the invoice template into French.)

Thanks for your help.

Jason

Hi Jason,
Sorry, I didn't see your question, so I'm answering a bit late. No, in fact numbers don't come after the noun; however adjectives often come after a noun like 'coat green'.
Is it possible to correct this?
Thanks!
Natalia

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Invoicing updates: localized invoices, usability (non-members welcome)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »