A whole new ballgame - negativity in forums
Thread poster: Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 10:58
German to English
+ ...
Mar 2, 2002

Well, I guess it\'s semi-official now: forget about site rules and etiquette. Going by the example set by the site owner, they have, at a minimum, been suspended.

Apparently, it is perfectly alright to insult and attack other members in an unprofessional manner (with some of these attacks being fomented - or, at least, tolerated - by the site owner himself).

So, if you don\'t like somebody\'s KudoZ answer or opinion expressed in the forums, just attack a
... See more
Well, I guess it\'s semi-official now: forget about site rules and etiquette. Going by the example set by the site owner, they have, at a minimum, been suspended.

Apparently, it is perfectly alright to insult and attack other members in an unprofessional manner (with some of these attacks being fomented - or, at least, tolerated - by the site owner himself).

So, if you don\'t like somebody\'s KudoZ answer or opinion expressed in the forums, just attack and insult them. It\'s alright now.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-03-02 23:30 ]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:58
English to German
+ ...
That is not true - and you know it isn't Mar 2, 2002

Werner,

How come the vast majority of people using this site get along just fine, without discovering something \"troubling\", \"fishy\" or \"abusive\"?

Makes me wonder...

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reply to Ralf: Yes, it is true Mar 2, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-03-02 16:48, Lemster wrote:

Werner,

How come the vast majority of people using this site get along just fine, without discovering something \"troubling\", \"fishy\" or \"abusive\"?

Makes me wonder...

When insults are directed at you, you\'d notice too, wouldn\'t you? And if those insults were either instigated or tolerated by the site owner, you\'d... See more
Quote:

On 2002-03-02 16:48, Lemster wrote:

Werner,

Makes me wonder...

When insults are directed at you, you\'d notice too, wouldn\'t you? And if those insults were either instigated or tolerated by the site owner, you\'d speak up too, wouldn\'t you?

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-03-02 16:53 ]Collapse

David Rockell (X)
David Rockell (X)
Chinese to English
Courtesy goes unrewarded Mar 2, 2002

I would like to know why my non-insulting and un-offensive reply to a posting by Mr Patels was deemed unfit to be posted by whom I take to be Henry, in that he was moderator the forum I attemped to post on. Although, I cannot remember the exact wording to my message, I remember clearly the tile was \"I agree\" and I went on to say I had a personal dislike for those members who use the imperative in whatever language to address complete strangers. Perhaps too much was read into my few brief words... See more
I would like to know why my non-insulting and un-offensive reply to a posting by Mr Patels was deemed unfit to be posted by whom I take to be Henry, in that he was moderator the forum I attemped to post on. Although, I cannot remember the exact wording to my message, I remember clearly the tile was \"I agree\" and I went on to say I had a personal dislike for those members who use the imperative in whatever language to address complete strangers. Perhaps too much was read into my few brief words by someone motivated by interests other than providing a free forum for language profssionals. Well, let\'s see if this this passes the censors. Should I too be granted the good fortune to post some of my ideas on the forum, I should like to conclude by wishing all translators the best of luck in all their endavours (except if you happen to be in competition with me, in which case, every translator for her/himself!! only joking).Collapse

Margaret Lagoyianni
Margaret Lagoyianni
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:58
English to Greek
+ ...
Another comment. Mar 2, 2002

I must admit had I been offended by someone then I too would be reacting. I felt offended by a colleague\'s comment at Proz once and emailed her direct to that effect. Perhaps this was not etiquette but I had not been directed to do otherwise.

On another point, I have not been receiving emails for translations today. I mention this only in passing.

CLS Lexi-tech
CLS Lexi-tech
English to Italian
+ ...
You know very well how tolerant the site owner is Mar 2, 2002

up close and personal. If he was not tolerant, we would not have you as one of our colleagues, Werner.

So, we all need to be tolerant, constructive, try to see the best side of people, even those who sorely try our patience, and will eventually earn us the entrance into the Golden Gates of Paradise with a whole troupe of Angels and Cherubs blowing into their trumpets like mad.

St. Peter will wave us through saying that if we survived certain elements of Proz.com we have cert
... See more
up close and personal. If he was not tolerant, we would not have you as one of our colleagues, Werner.

So, we all need to be tolerant, constructive, try to see the best side of people, even those who sorely try our patience, and will eventually earn us the entrance into the Golden Gates of Paradise with a whole troupe of Angels and Cherubs blowing into their trumpets like mad.

St. Peter will wave us through saying that if we survived certain elements of Proz.com we have certainly earned ourselves to be kept in manna and Philadelphia cream cheese for the rest of our eternal life.

Take care

paola

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-03-02 19:13 ]
Collapse

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tolerant? Mar 2, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-03-02 19:11, ludovici wrote:

So, we all need to be tolerant, constructive, try to see the best side of people, even those who sorely try our patience, and will eventually earn us the entrance into the Golden Gates of Paradise with a whole troupe of Angels and Cherubs blowing into their trumpets like mad.<... See more
Quote:

On 2002-03-02 19:11, ludovici wrote:

St. Peter will wave us through saying that if we survived certain elements of Proz.com we have certainly earned ourselves to be kept in manna and Philadelphia cream cheese for the rest of our eternal life.

Take care

paola

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-03-02 19:13 ]

Posting or actively allowing personal attacks and insults is tolerant? Give me a break, Paola. ▲ Collapse

CLS Lexi-tech
CLS Lexi-tech
English to Italian
+ ...
Werner, please direct me to the quote Mar 2, 2002

to read it with my own two eyes plus glasses, please.

Please quote chapter and verse, and I will go read it.

thanks

paola

Patricia Lutteral
Patricia Lutteral  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 11:58
English to Spanish
+ ...
Take it easy, pal Mar 2, 2002

Werner, I\'m afraid you are being unfair.

I don\'t know what exactly happened to you, but one thing I do know: Henry is VERY tolerant.

Best regards,

Patricia
[addsig]

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nope Mar 2, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-03-02 21:03, p_lutteral wrote:

I don\'t know what exactly happened to you, but one thing I do know: Henry is VERY tolerant.

Best regards,

Patricia

I hate to repeat myself, but HE allowed hate messages to be posted (a whole bunch of them), and he did so intentional... See more
Quote:

On 2002-03-02 21:03, p_lutteral wrote:

Best regards,

Patricia

I hate to repeat myself, but HE allowed hate messages to be posted (a whole bunch of them), and he did so intentionally and knowingly. And this is not the first time (not even the second or third) that he\'s done that.

I normally agree with you, Patricia, but in this case you are being unfair.

But it\'s been an \"interesting\" experience: many other members have contacted me privately and told me some of their own horror stories. So, I am not the only \"target\". Collapse

Dave Greatrix
Dave Greatrix  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:58
Dutch to English
+ ...
Highly balanced Mar 2, 2002

I, unlike Werner it would appear, do not have much time to take part in forums.

However, when I do it always seems to be the same source, banging on about what a mess the universe is.

Yes, you got it one - AbacusTrans.

Anybody knows that ProZ beats the crap out of the other trans. sites. If this is not the case, why do so many pros hang around?

It seems to me that Werner is using this venue to tell everybody how
... See more
I, unlike Werner it would appear, do not have much time to take part in forums.

However, when I do it always seems to be the same source, banging on about what a mess the universe is.

Yes, you got it one - AbacusTrans.

Anybody knows that ProZ beats the crap out of the other trans. sites. If this is not the case, why do so many pros hang around?

It seems to me that Werner is using this venue to tell everybody how clever he is.

Well, I for one have better things to do, than reading someones views on how bad ProZ is. Like listening to grass growing, or watching paint dry. Especially when such views are nonsense.

Can anyone deny that ProZ is being constantly improved. No.

I would suggest that every member has the freedom of choice to settle where he or she likes. I choose ProZ.

If certain members feel unhappy with the leadership,I believe that they should say so, but after doing so I also believe that they should shut up.

Otherwise other members might start thinking that they are well-balanced individuals - with a chip on both shoulders.
Collapse

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:58
German to English
Injurious men brook no injuries. Thomas Fuller, 1732 Mar 2, 2002

Werner, I don\'t know where the insults you\'re referring to are coming from, but I\'m sure that it hurts to receive a dose of the kind of medicine you have regularly administered to others. What goes around comes around. Let\'s not pretend doing that sort of thing is beyond you. I think the graceful thing to do would be to drop this matter and resolve never again to perpetrate yourself the kinds of acts you\'re now complaining about.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
No new ballgame Mar 2, 2002

Abuse has never been and will never be tolerated here. We do try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, and ask others to do so, too.

I have not personally singled out anyone as a target, and if there were abusive postings, they were neither made nor condoned by me.

It does not seem to me that this posting will lead anywhere useful. Therefore I am locking it.

By the way, so that there are no misconceptions, Werner has privately a
... See more
Abuse has never been and will never be tolerated here. We do try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, and ask others to do so, too.

I have not personally singled out anyone as a target, and if there were abusive postings, they were neither made nor condoned by me.

It does not seem to me that this posting will lead anywhere useful. Therefore I am locking it.

By the way, so that there are no misconceptions, Werner has privately asked for his platinum membership to be refunded. That is why you will see his membership status downgraded shortly.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A whole new ballgame - negativity in forums

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »