Constructive criticism does exist!
Thread poster: bochkor
bochkor
bochkor
Local time: 16:48
English to German
+ ...
Mar 3, 2002

I think inflammatory language should be tolerated in the name of free speech (if its opposers ever heard of it) and so should sarcasm (see my previous text in brackets).

What should not be tolerated is cursing and we all know what it is.

And jumping to conclusions should not be construed as a capital crime, either, while it\'s nothing, but a mistake or misunderstanding, which I believe is possible to clear up. Werner gave Henry his apologies, so case clo
... See more
I think inflammatory language should be tolerated in the name of free speech (if its opposers ever heard of it) and so should sarcasm (see my previous text in brackets).

What should not be tolerated is cursing and we all know what it is.

And jumping to conclusions should not be construed as a capital crime, either, while it\'s nothing, but a mistake or misunderstanding, which I believe is possible to clear up. Werner gave Henry his apologies, so case closed, leave him alone!

And constructive criticism does exist! Please, don\'t volunteer here to give up your right of free speech! Thanks!

P.S.: I meant to post this as a reply in the thread \"Notice be hereby served\", but I just noticed that that thread has been locked, so I guess my message automatically opened a new thread. Well, I didn\'t think the other thread was too long, so it had to be locked, but whatever.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-03-03 16:24 ]
Collapse

Antonella Andreella (X)
Antonella Andreella (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:48
German to Italian
+ ...
I think Mar 3, 2002

you\'re right.

Bye

Antonella
[addsig]

Silvina Beatriz Codina
Silvina Beatriz Codina  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 17:48
English to Spanish
I love free speech, but hysterical displays lead us nowhere Mar 3, 2002

I am not going to comment on this person\'s behavior; he has already apologized and, as we say in Spanish, you should not chop off logs out of the fallen tree. What I do know is that the direct result of all this mudslinging and Agent-Mulder-in-a-bad-hair-day conspiracy theories is that a discussion about a legitimate concern regarding our safety has been shot to hell. I ended up abstaining from participating because it seemed so pointless to stand in the middle of the gunfire to get myself slug... See more
I am not going to comment on this person\'s behavior; he has already apologized and, as we say in Spanish, you should not chop off logs out of the fallen tree. What I do know is that the direct result of all this mudslinging and Agent-Mulder-in-a-bad-hair-day conspiracy theories is that a discussion about a legitimate concern regarding our safety has been shot to hell. I ended up abstaining from participating because it seemed so pointless to stand in the middle of the gunfire to get myself slugged and because the whole thing made me so mad, that I knew I would end up saying something I would regret later.

So I encourage all members to refrain from, well, passionate outbursts, and let\'s discuss things in a calm and, we hope, productive manner, shall we?
Collapse

John Kinory (X)
John Kinory (X)
Local time: 21:48
English to Hebrew
+ ...
The line between sarcasm, inflammatory language and cursing is very thin Mar 4, 2002

I see where you are coming from, of course. And another biiiig problem is that we all come from different cultures. A couple of terms I used recently (which I and fellow-translators in another usenet forum use all the time, perfectly innocently) irritated one of the nicest and most professional member of this site last week. He assumed they were meant sarcastically: they were not.

No idea what the answer is, though.
[addsig]

Bertha S. Deffenbaugh
Bertha S. Deffenbaugh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:48
English to Spanish
+ ...
Well said László.. Mar 4, 2002

Some people seem to want to take us back to the Inquisition era.

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 16:48
German to English
+ ...
Thank you, László Mar 4, 2002

Exemplary!

two2tango
two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 17:48
English to Spanish
+ ...
Kudos from the Pampas! Mar 4, 2002

I fully agree! Let everyone have his/her say. Sometimes, someone will get too angry, but should he/she apologize later, then the hot words should not be mentioned again.

To slap someone who has apologized sounds like bad manners to me. Maybe I am too old fashioned (remember fair play?)

Greetings

Enrique
[addsig]

Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Local time: 02:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
The root cause Mar 4, 2002

A very careful look at the discussions and the fireworks that have been witnessed on the site point to an increasing frustation among the translators.

There are too few jobs being chased by too many translators coupled with lack of transparency on the jobs psoted.

The job posters know everything about translators but we know nothing about them. It is this defect that makes the translators vulnerable to all kinds of predators.

I ha
... See more
A very careful look at the discussions and the fireworks that have been witnessed on the site point to an increasing frustation among the translators.

There are too few jobs being chased by too many translators coupled with lack of transparency on the jobs psoted.

The job posters know everything about translators but we know nothing about them. It is this defect that makes the translators vulnerable to all kinds of predators.

I have been on this site right from its days of inception and remember all the developments on the job front. I could see increasing frustration among the members of this site.

I hope things will be ironed out.

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Constructive criticism does exist!

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »