Thread poster: l Gaston l
l Gaston l
l Gaston l  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:59
Afrikaans to Ancient Hebrew
+ ...
Feb 3, 2010

Hi there,

A new site feature has been released to help language professionals stay informed about the industry, by sharing and discussing translation industry news. It includes stories posted by ProZ.com users and staff, as well as content syndicated from other industry news sites. Comments can be posted to each news story, to facilitate discussion. Categorized news stories will be shown in relevant site areas (for example, news about Canada could be shown in the Canad
... See more
Hi there,

A new site feature has been released to help language professionals stay informed about the industry, by sharing and discussing translation industry news. It includes stories posted by ProZ.com users and staff, as well as content syndicated from other industry news sites. Comments can be posted to each news story, to facilitate discussion. Categorized news stories will be shown in relevant site areas (for example, news about Canada could be shown in the Canada forum, and news about Wordfast could be shown in the Wordfast forum). RSS feeds are also available.

Click here to access the translation news page.

I deeply appreciate all feedback and suggestions provided by beta testers at the beta stage, whose participation added key value to this feature.

Please post any feedback about this new feature below.

Best regards,
Gastón
Collapse

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
Awesome Feb 26, 2010

Very interesting and useful articles.
Very nice feature indeed.

Carry on, Gastón.

Walter

Jana Kinská
Jana Kinská  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 09:59
English to Czech
+ ...
Would there be a language filter? Mar 3, 2010

That's very interesting, thank you.
Is it possible to apply some filter feature to that, e.g. mark the languages of the articles so that a reader might be able to read articles in preferred languages only?

Thanks
Jana

Folio Online
Folio Online
South Africa
Local time: 09:59
Member (2002)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Company news May 6, 2010

Gaston,

Could translation companies submit short news items about themselves? We recently added some new African languages to our voice-over database and would like to let others know about it. Basically, if we submit the article will it be prevented from being put up because it will be considered "marketing". Also, how will we know if it gets accepted or blocked?

The articles are good to have by the way.

Thank you!

RominaZ
RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Translation News are submitted only in English for now May 6, 2010

Jana Kinská wrote:

That's very interesting, thank you.
Is it possible to apply some filter feature to that, e.g. mark the languages of the articles so that a reader might be able to read articles in preferred languages only?

Thanks
Jana

Sorry for my delay in replying, Jana.

Support for multilingual articles is planned, but is not yet available. For now only articles in English are submitted. However, the submission of a short summary in English of recent important news that may be in other languages is encouraged.

To submit news go to http://www.proz.com/translation-news/wp-admin/post-new.php

Thanks,

Romina

RominaZ
RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Items in line with site rules are approved by site staff May 6, 2010

Dear Philip,

Items submitted in line with site rules are approved by site staff. Note that advertising is not allowed (http://www.proz.com/siterules/general/3#3 ).

Also note that outsourcers with a high LWA average can post public notes to provide Blue Board record visitors with useful and/or important information regar
... See more
Dear Philip,

Items submitted in line with site rules are approved by site staff. Note that advertising is not allowed (http://www.proz.com/siterules/general/3#3 ).

Also note that outsourcers with a high LWA average can post public notes to provide Blue Board record visitors with useful and/or important information regarding their business. See http://www.proz.com/faq/5239#5239

Romina
Collapse

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:59
Russian to English
+ ...
Need another topic category May 7, 2010

"Translation industry news" is too narrow for news subjects that are of interest to translators but not on the "industry" per se -- such as those concerning foreign language education, jobs done by translators (e.g., relief efforts). I think something broader is also needed, such as "Other news of direct interest to translators."

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
I think those might be good "Translation industry" news items, Susan May 7, 2010

Hi Susan,

I think the type of news you mention would fit well under "Translation industry" news. In fact, I believe there was news posted on the efforts translators were making to relief efforts in Haiti earlier this year, for example. You can define this category as "information about developments in translation or the translation industry that may impact or be of broad interest to the ProZ.com community". This may not be as clear as it could be (there are short descriptions of the
... See more
Hi Susan,

I think the type of news you mention would fit well under "Translation industry" news. In fact, I believe there was news posted on the efforts translators were making to relief efforts in Haiti earlier this year, for example. You can define this category as "information about developments in translation or the translation industry that may impact or be of broad interest to the ProZ.com community". This may not be as clear as it could be (there are short descriptions of the categories in the form where you submit a news item which could be a bit more detailed, and there is no FAQ on this yet). I'll make sure this gets clarified. Thanks!

Jared
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Announcing ProZ.com translation industry news feature

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »