Info about an agency in UK
Thread poster: mónica alfonso
mónica alfonso
mónica alfonso  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:59
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 4, 2002

Does anybody know or has anybody worked for translations2go?

I would thank any info.

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:59
German to English
+ ...
Try the blue board Mar 4, 2002

On the left of your screen, you should see an \'agency ratings\' option. If you go here, you can ask about agencies and find out what other people think of them!

Good luck!

Mary

mónica alfonso
mónica alfonso  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:59
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
the agency is not in the list Mar 4, 2002

Thanks for the suggestion, Mary, but , I\'ve already searched there unsuccessfully.

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:59
German to English
+ ...
'Inquire about an agency not listed' Mar 4, 2002

There is a link which allows you to \'Inquire about an agency not listed\', where you can enter the details of the agency. This will then send out E-mails to ProZ members (that have registered for these e-mails) asking for information. Unfortunately, the system doesn\'t tell you if you get any replies, so you need to just check back for a look after a little while!

Or you could try the TCR list (there\'s a link on the Blue Board page)

HTH

... See more
There is a link which allows you to \'Inquire about an agency not listed\', where you can enter the details of the agency. This will then send out E-mails to ProZ members (that have registered for these e-mails) asking for information. Unfortunately, the system doesn\'t tell you if you get any replies, so you need to just check back for a look after a little while!

Or you could try the TCR list (there\'s a link on the Blue Board page)

HTH

Mary
Collapse

Egmont
Egmont
Spain
Local time: 08:59
Afrikaans to Spanish
+ ...
translations2go Mar 4, 2002

Try google.com
[addsig]

Egmont
Egmont
Spain
Afrikaans to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 4, 2002

Accurate Russian translation, editing, proofreading and DTP

Pavel Protopopov

Certified Russian translator

Translation tests: to do or not to do?

Here are some opinions:

The whole situation is ludicrous. If you were going to contract a builder to build you a house would you ask them to build you a garage for free as a test of their competence? I think the answer you would receive would be far from pleasant.

Stephen Hernandez,
... See more

Pavel Protopopov

Here are some opinions:

The whole situation is ludicrous. If you were going to contract a builder to build you a house would you ask them to build you a garage for free as a test of their competence? I think the answer you would receive would be far from pleasant.

Stephen Hernandez, UK, e-mail: [email protected]

One usually-effective response, when asked to do a \"short and simple\" test translation, is to offer, instead, to provide the names and contact data of satisfied previous clients and customers.

If that does not suffice for that interested agency, you\'re better off without their business.

Regards from Los Angeles,

Stephen H. Franke, Arabic, Kurdish and Persian-Farsi - languages

e-mail: [email protected]

I never EVER do freebies. In any case I resent the implication that my time is not worth money....! Any serious company should pay you for a test piece, however short. If you tell them this, and they still won\'t agree to pay you, don\'t do it, would be my advice...

Alison Gaunt

In fact, any serious translation company would NOT ask for a sample piece. They prove absolutely nothing. We have had this discussion before but I venture to assert from my 40 years experience as a translator, 10 of them running my own company, that they are useless and they are only used by agencies that know very little about translation, though French agencies seem to use them as a matter of routine, probably the copycat syndrome.

Josephine Bacon

American Pie/ Pholiota Translations

www.americanization.com

I must say that I have spent a lot of time doing translation tests for mainly French agencies, but I have received only one answer (positive) to them; from that one (positive, I insist!) answerer, I have never received a translation request. My test seems to have been forgotten in the bottom of some drawer. All the clients I have found in France were sent by a fellow translator to me, or found me on the Internet or elsewhere when they desperately needed someone to do an urgent translation and came back to me as they were happy with the first job I delivered them. So now, I doubt a lot of the efficiency of translation tests as a way to attract new clients, and free tests are not my priority since they yielded so little for me...

Xavier PITEL, EGUILLES - France

Translations from GB and IT into FR

http://perso.club-internet.fr/xapitel

I have to agree that in my 25 years at this [and I am still a translator as well as an agency owner] I also cannot remember having obtained new clients by means of tests, with the exception of literary/publication type texts in a competition situation [best of 3].

Dee Braig

Advanced Linguistic Services - France

[email protected]

I, too, have never gotten work through tests, and I refuse to do tests. If an agency is still not quite sure about me, I invite them to give me a small job (paid, of course) to see for themselves. There are many short texts to go around, and agencies should be smart enough to use them to \"test\" potential translators (and they should pay them!). There is simply way too much abuse out there: one agency once tried to distribute a whole document among several translators, masking the whole thing as a \"test\", just to get a free translation - and there are plenty more examples like that.

Vernon George

[email protected]

Our less experienced colleagues will have noticed recent postings from experienced translators who have agreed to take tests only to find that they are never given the results of these tests and never hear from the agency again. I had made it my rule never to take tests and I foolishly broke it recently during a quiet period. I never heard from the two agencies again, not even regarding the test results. There is one large agency that routinely makes people do tests because they want to use very young, badly-paid project managers and think that making everyone do a test is a guarantee that they will not have any problems with their translations. That is rubbish, of course. I have twice refused to do a test for these people who were apparently desperate for Hebrew-English translators. There are a million reasons for not taking a test (subject matter usually outside one\'s field, badly designed test, one does not know who is doing the marking, etc.) but the best one of all is that it is a complete waste of the translator\'s time and there is no guarantee that however brilliant the result one will ever get used. In effect, it is slave labour.

Josephine Bacon

www.americanization.com

As to translation tests, I did a few of them some years back and I did not get any jobs from the agencies I did these tests for, even though the ones that (much) later finally replied had said that the test was favourable.

I then decided that I would not ever again do any tests and I have only broken that rule twice since, and both were tests made for a specifc large project with a sample text that actually matched the subject. In both those occasions I first had a discussion on the phone with the project manager. The difference here was that the project managers already promised me the job on the condition that I could demonstrate that I could handle the specific type of text and format.

I did get those two projects, and more later on.

Ulf Samuelsson

Back to Accurate Russian translation main page

Recommended sites:

Altair Russian Translation Bureau Fast and professional Russian translation to/from English, French, German, Spanish in business, science and technology, creation of web-pages in Russian

All-Russian Translation Services: Anywhere in Russia from anywhere in the world! Russian translation from English to Russian. Technical, scientific, financial and document/letter translation. Website translation and localization. E-mail translation and forwarding to any place in Russia

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pavel Protopopov, 22-14 Lenina pr., Volgograd 400066 Russia

Phone: 7-844-2362834, e fax: 1-413-502-6808, e-mail: [email protected]

[addsig]
Collapse

Egmont
Egmont
Spain
Afrikaans to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 4, 2002

Visit http://www.translations2go.com/welcome2.htm

Pavel Protopopov

Here are some opinions:

The whole situation is ludicrous. If you were going to contract a builder to build you a house would you ask
... See more
Visit http://www.translations2go.com/welcome2.htm

Pavel Protopopov

Here are some opinions:

Stephen Hernandez, UK, e-mail: [email protected]

One usually-effective response, when asked to do a \"short and simple\" test translation, is to offer, instead, to provide the names and contact data of satisfied previous clients and customers.

If that does not suffice for that interested agency, you\'re better off without their business.

Regards from Los Angeles,

Stephen H. Franke, Arabic, Kurdish and Persian-Farsi - languages

e-mail: [email protected]

I never EVER do freebies. In any case I resent the implication that my time is not worth money....! Any serious company should pay you for a test piece, however short. If you tell them this, and they still won\'t agree to pay you, don\'t do it, would be my advice...

Alison Gaunt

In fact, any serious translation company would NOT ask for a sample piece. They prove absolutely nothing. We have had this discussion before but I venture to assert from my 40 years experience as a translator, 10 of them running my own company, that they are useless and they are only used by agencies that know very little about translation, though French agencies seem to use them as a matter of routine, probably the copycat syndrome.

Josephine Bacon

www.americanization.com

I must say that I have spent a lot of time doing translation tests for mainly French agencies, but I have received only one answer (positive) to them; from that one (positive, I insist!) answerer, I have never received a translation request. My test seems to have been forgotten in the bottom of some drawer. All the clients I have found in France were sent by a fellow translator to me, or found me on the Internet or elsewhere when they desperately needed someone to do an urgent translation and came back to me as they were happy with the first job I delivered them. So now, I doubt a lot of the efficiency of translation tests as a way to attract new clients, and free tests are not my priority since they yielded so little for me...

Xavier PITEL, EGUILLES - France

Translations from GB and IT into FR

http://perso.club-internet.fr/xapitel

I have to agree that in my 25 years at this [and I am still a translator as well as an agency owner] I also cannot remember having obtained new clients by means of tests, with the exception of literary/publication type texts in a competition situation [best of 3].

Dee Braig

Advanced Linguistic Services - France

[email protected]

I, too, have never gotten work through tests, and I refuse to do tests. If an agency is still not quite sure about me, I invite them to give me a small job (paid, of course) to see for themselves. There are many short texts to go around, and agencies should be smart enough to use them to \"test\" potential translators (and they should pay them!). There is simply way too much abuse out there: one agency once tried to distribute a whole document among several translators, masking the whole thing as a \"test\", just to get a free translation - and there are plenty more examples like that.

Vernon George

[email protected]

Our less experienced colleagues will have noticed recent postings from experienced translators who have agreed to take tests only to find that they are never given the results of these tests and never hear from the agency again. I had made it my rule never to take tests and I foolishly broke it recently during a quiet period. I never heard from the two agencies again, not even regarding the test results. There is one large agency that routinely makes people do tests because they want to use very young, badly-paid project managers and think that making everyone do a test is a guarantee that they will not have any problems with their translations. That is rubbish, of course. I have twice refused to do a test for these people who were apparently desperate for Hebrew-English translators. There are a million reasons for not taking a test (subject matter usually outside one\'s field, badly designed test, one does not know who is doing the marking, etc.) but the best one of all is that it is a complete waste of the translator\'s time and there is no guarantee that however brilliant the result one will ever get used. In effect, it is slave labour.

Josephine Bacon

www.americanization.com

As to translation tests, I did a few of them some years back and I did not get any jobs from the agencies I did these tests for, even though the ones that (much) later finally replied had said that the test was favourable.

I then decided that I would not ever again do any tests and I have only broken that rule twice since, and both were tests made for a specifc large project with a sample text that actually matched the subject. In both those occasions I first had a discussion on the phone with the project manager. The difference here was that the project managers already promised me the job on the condition that I could demonstrate that I could handle the specific type of text and format.

I did get those two projects, and more later on.

Ulf Samuelsson

Back to Accurate Russian translation main page

Recommended sites:

Altair Russian Translation Bureau Fast and professional Russian translation to/from English, French, German, Spanish in business, science and technology, creation of web-pages in Russian

All-Russian Translation Services: Anywhere in Russia from anywhere in the world! Russian translation from English to Russian. Technical, scientific, financial and document/letter translation. Website translation and localization. E-mail translation and forwarding to any place in Russia

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pavel Protopopov, 22-14 Lenina pr., Volgograd 400066 Russia

Phone: 7-844-2362834, e fax: 1-413-502-6808, e-mail: [email protected]

[addsig]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Info about an agency in UK

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »