Antonella Andreella (X)
Antonella Andreella (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 03:15
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Welcome Abacus, Mar 19, 2002

I\'m glad you are here, because as I already wrote in another forum (cannot remember which one) I usually (let\'s say 90%) agree with your views, so.. at least I have a chance ...

I\'m preparing my defense (so to say) and words of peace, very carefully weighing words to avoid any misunderstaning and/or \'overinterpretation\' and thus close this weird atmopshere in the best possible and peaceful way, at least I try and hope to b
... See more
I\'m glad you are here, because as I already wrote in another forum (cannot remember which one) I usually (let\'s say 90%) agree with your views, so.. at least I have a chance ...

I\'m preparing my defense (so to say) and words of peace, very carefully weighing words to avoid any misunderstaning and/or \'overinterpretation\' and thus close this weird atmopshere in the best possible and peaceful way, at least I try and hope to be successfull

But I was very busy yesterday and still today and probably tomorrow for a manual I must deliver tomorror and so I\'ll be back asap

Thanks you all

Antonella
Collapse

ivw (X)
ivw (X)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
KudoZ Etiquette - a suggestion Mar 19, 2002

On numerous occasions, someone posts the exact same answer that has already been given by somebody else. What\'s more disturbing is that askers, for one reason or another, tend to choose the most recent answer. I personally believe this is unfair to those who were first, with one exception: if the answer posted later has a more detailed explanation and references while the previous one doesn\'t. Since we are not in any position to change askers\' personnal preference, I would suggest introducing... See more
On numerous occasions, someone posts the exact same answer that has already been given by somebody else. What\'s more disturbing is that askers, for one reason or another, tend to choose the most recent answer. I personally believe this is unfair to those who were first, with one exception: if the answer posted later has a more detailed explanation and references while the previous one doesn\'t. Since we are not in any position to change askers\' personnal preference, I would suggest introducing a new system under which Brownies, or even KudoZ, are SUBTRACTED from the unfair colleagues. Also, I would add a fourth option to those of \'agree,\' \'disagree\' & \'neutral\' - called \"redundant\" or \"duplicate.\" As a combination of the two, the subtracting of the points would depend on the number of \"reduntant\" peer grades, and perhaps after, say, three of those the subtracting of the points will happen automatically.

What do you all think?
Collapse

John Kinory (X)
John Kinory (X)
Local time: 02:15
English to Hebrew
+ ...
New idea: how to post to a forum Mar 20, 2002

New idea:

I suppose the simplest way to post to a forum is to send Antonella a private email (marking it \'Private and confidential\' might be useful, too). She is bound to post it - sometimes even twice. Getting a moderator to warn her that it\'s against netiquette, Proz rules and the normal, everyday rules of social conduct and courtesy would be a form of added insurance, since she has already decided that moderators can say whatever they like - it doesn\'t apply to Antonella as she
... See more
New idea:

I suppose the simplest way to post to a forum is to send Antonella a private email (marking it \'Private and confidential\' might be useful, too). She is bound to post it - sometimes even twice. Getting a moderator to warn her that it\'s against netiquette, Proz rules and the normal, everyday rules of social conduct and courtesy would be a form of added insurance, since she has already decided that moderators can say whatever they like - it doesn\'t apply to Antonella as she is above everyone else.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-03-20 20:48 ]
Collapse

Antonella Andreella (X)
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
John's daily mail Mar 20, 2002

Pls John, stop it!

If you keep on sendming me unpleasant messages privately, I\'ll keep on posting them.

Pls stop chasing me!!!

Is this a good example of etiquette?

Pls stop chasing me!!! This is now a personal attack. Pls stop it, John!!!

Sorry Paola, but I feel so ... attacked...

Subject:

[ProZ mail] New idea

Date:

Wed, 20 Mar 2002 11:03:48 +0000

... See more
Pls John, stop it!

If you keep on sendming me unpleasant messages privately, I\'ll keep on posting them.

Pls stop chasing me!!!

Is this a good example of etiquette?

Pls stop chasing me!!! This is now a personal attack. Pls stop it, John!!!

Subject:

[ProZ mail] New idea

Date:

Wed, 20 Mar 2002 11:03:48 +0000

[email protected]

To:

[email protected]

-----------

You have been sent a message via your ProZ.com page.

Author: John Kinory

Author\'s profile: http://www.proz.com/translator/8804

-----------

I suppose the simplest way to post to a forum is to send Antonella a private email (marking it \'Private and confidential\' might be useful, too). She is bound to post it - sometimes even twice. Getting a moderator to warn her that it\'s against netiquette, Proz rules and the normal, everyday rules of social conduct and courtesy would be a form of added insurance, since she has already decided that moderators can say whatever they like - it doesn\'t apply to Antonella as she is above everyone else.

-----------

Keep your profile up to date:

http://www.proz.com/translator/28981

To login and edit your profile, go to:

http://www.proz.com/translator/

-----------

Collapse

Antonella Andreella (X)
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trying to solve it Mar 20, 2002

So, let\'s try to solve this matter and let\'s start from the beginning:

1) Two2Tango wrote: ... she has a right to disagree with you and you with her, it depends on how you said it...That\'s a

perfect, genial, well-balanced point and I agree with it, so next time I will think twice on the way I disagree with a

disagreer.

But I repeat, believe me or not, that I have nothing against students as that, and I when replied to her I did n
... See more
So, let\'s try to solve this matter and let\'s start from the beginning:

1) Two2Tango wrote: ... she has a right to disagree with you and you with her, it depends on how you said it...That\'s a

perfect, genial, well-balanced point and I agree with it, so next time I will think twice on the way I disagree with a

disagreer.

But I repeat, believe me or not, that I have nothing against students as that, and I when replied to her I did not know yet

she was student, so my reaction was not against students as that, as I did not know she was one, but simply started from

the assumption an experienced translator could not make such an observation. Mine was a simple deduction.

2) When I wrote: ...I actually am superior to students..., I went on writing ...\'because of my experience, NOT of anything

else\'.... So I meant, believe it or not, thanks to my experience I\'m a better translator than I student who whishes to

become a translator can be. Of course I was speaking as a translator so I did not refer to any other possible specifications

or anything else, obviously (it was probably not so obvious). I ended saying ...\'this is a fact and not an opinion\'...: I meant

it\'s a fact because it\'s a matter of fact that I started working as a freelance some years ago, so actually it\'s a fact, it can\'t be

denied that I started some years ago. It is simply a matter of time, not of arrogance, in my opinion.

3) When I wrote to John: Do you interpret the texts you translate in that same way?... I really did not want - IN NO

WAY - I did not want to doubt about his professional integrity, not more than the girl who disagreed with me when she

spoke of \'overtranslation\'. Did she doubt about my professional integrity? I think she didn\'t. So, John believe me, I didn\'t.

4) When I wrote to John: ...I think you are not in good faith... I was just hurted by the fact you simply were not willing to

try and see the other side of my arguments, but it\'s just an opinion of an arrogant and uncivilized person, like me. So if you

know how despicable I am, just ingore me, just don\'t bother reading the bad things I write, just give me chance to be here

even though you cannot share one single word that I say. I mean this happens in life there are people who just have quite

different ideas, but it is not necessary to start wars for this.

5) I promise I\'ll never post private messages in forums again, but hope not to receive unpleasant messages by peers again.

So I hope I cleared up this issue, at least I tried, I hope now we all calm down and wish to step out from this forum which

was a little bit too much... I think I won\'t forget this very soon, I mean I could not imagine this could be so \'dangerous\' and

\'obsessive\' ... believe me or not

Thank you all

Antonella
Collapse

John Kinory (X)
John Kinory (X)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Please be my guest ... Mar 20, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-03-20 11:48, Andreella wrote:

If you keep on sending me unpleasant messages privately, I\'ll keep on posting them.

... you are only making yourself look ridiculous.

OK, having read your latest message above, incl. your apology for impugning my integrity and your undertaking not to pos... See more
Quote:

On 2002-03-20 11:48, Andreella wrote:

If you keep on sending me unpleasant messages privately, I\'ll keep on posting them.

... you are only making yourself look ridiculous.

OK, having read your latest message above, incl. your apology for impugning my integrity and your undertaking not to post private messages publicly again - by all means, let\'s consider this matter closed.

---------------

Reply to two2tango below:

Nobody is forcing you to read this thread. It\'s you who is choosing to visit it. So it\'s not for you to demand that the matter be dropped: it\'s between Antonella and myself.

Furthermore, you are fanning the flames rather than the other way around by claiming that Antonella has not apologised. If I feel that she has apologised to me, then to all intents and purposes she has (quite apart from the fact that you don\'t know what emails may have passed privately between her and myself).

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-03-22 18:05 ]Collapse

ElsGray
ElsGray
English to Dutch
How old are you Antonella? Mar 20, 2002

Just wondering what the reason could be for such childish behaviour...

two2tango
two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 22:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oh, please, enough! Mar 21, 2002

Antonella did not apologyze for impugning John\'s integrity, she just said she did not do it. This discussions has got out of hand. Antonella has offered an olive branch, and I think the other members involved should take it and move to more substantive issues.

A graceful ending is (or should be) also part of etiquette.

Greetings from the Pampas!

Enrique

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Henry, if you read this... Mar 21, 2002

...this is your chance to lock the thread...

two2tango
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Reply to John Kinory Mar 21, 2002

---------------

Nobody is forcing you to read this thread. It\'s you who is choosing to visit it. So it\'s not for you to demand that the matter be dropped: it\'s between Antonella and myself.

Furthermore, you are fanning the flames rather than the other way around by claiming that Antonella has not apologised. If I feel that she has apologised to me, then to all intents and purposes she has (quite apart
... See more
---------------

Furthermore, you are fanning the flames rather than the other way around by claiming that Antonella has not apologised. If I feel that she has apologised to me, then to all intents and purposes she has (quite apart from the fact that you don\'t know what emails have passed privately between her and myself).

--------------------

Of course I freely choose to visit this thread, as I choose to express my opinion (not a demand) that the matter should be dropped.

Of course I don\'t know your private emails, nor am I interested in them at all, for being private, they are strictly between the two of you.

On the other hand, a discussion in an open site is hardly a purely private affair where you are entitled to silence others.

I don\'t believe I am fanning any flames, just stating the way I see the issue. If you are satisfied with the way it was settled, then let\'s close it.

Regards.

Enrique

[addsig]
Collapse

John Kinory (X)
John Kinory (X)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
So now I am 'silencing' you ... Mar 22, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-03-21 23:45, two2tango wrote:

On the other hand, a discussion in an open site is hardly a purely private affair where you are entitled to silence others.

I am not aware that I have silenced or attempted to silence you. Where do you get this strange idea from?
[addsig]

Antonella Andreella (X)
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I NEVER WROTE ANY MAILS TO JOHN PRIVATELY Mar 22, 2002

Antonella

two2tango
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Etiquette Mar 22, 2002

Let\'s go back to basics... The subject was Etiquette, which I see as a combination of good manners, common sense, and the inner security that allows to receive disagreement without feeling it as an aggression.

On that basis, sometimes it is better to avoid getting involved it a fruitless discussion where nothing relevant is at stake.

[addsig]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What does Kudoz Etiquette mean?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »