Thread poster: Marcus Malabad
diana bb
diana bb  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 09:23
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
curiosity killed the cat Mar 10, 2002

Judging from what has been said, it seems I\'m the only one who pressed the Hide button out of curiosity. Alas, what\'s done can\'t be undone! That is the answer I got from Support.

Evi Wollinger
Evi Wollinger  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:23
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Hidden by accident Mar 10, 2002

Just had to mention that I am not very familiar with proz, I haven\'t answered any questions for a long time.

When I did post an answer a few days ago I logged on later and out of (dumb) curiosity hit that little \"x\". Well I\'m sure you all know what happened next.

I figured out fast what I had done, but couldn\'t undo it. That will teach me!

Moral of the story: I wasn\'t trying to hide anything, rather I felt like hiding myself for making such a silly mistake.<
... See more
Just had to mention that I am not very familiar with proz, I haven\'t answered any questions for a long time.

When I did post an answer a few days ago I logged on later and out of (dumb) curiosity hit that little \"x\". Well I\'m sure you all know what happened next.

I figured out fast what I had done, but couldn\'t undo it. That will teach me!

Moral of the story: I wasn\'t trying to hide anything, rather I felt like hiding myself for making such a silly mistake.

Maybe there are others like me...
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
The question that sets unanswered over the 50-item horizon Mar 11, 2002

always gets my sympathy, and there I fully agree with Mats, give it a shot to start the ball rolling, the poor guy! I\'ve been in that situation myself when it seemed the whole world had questions to ask, and my visibility in the combination requested had almost faded in 30 minutes. Or when I put URGENT and an hour passes without a peep. There I agree with Tayfun, even the smallest hint can help.

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Being wrong can be every bit as helpful as being right Mar 12, 2002

A \"wrong\" answer which a poster choses to hide is often helpul - to both asker and would-be answerers. OK, we all know that awful feeling you get when you realise you\'ve posted something which is off-target. One can feel pretty stupid. But these asnwers can help the asker and answerers think through a problem and eliminate certain points.

As for those who post a second answer having benefitted from futher postings, then form the asker\'s point of view, then so much the be
... See more
A \"wrong\" answer which a poster choses to hide is often helpul - to both asker and would-be answerers. OK, we all know that awful feeling you get when you realise you\'ve posted something which is off-target. One can feel pretty stupid. But these asnwers can help the asker and answerers think through a problem and eliminate certain points.

As for those who post a second answer having benefitted from futher postings, then form the asker\'s point of view, then so much the better. If the person\'s on a point-grabbing crusade, then so what. Most can see far enough to realise it\'s useful to the asker and that\'s the main reason for us beijng here at all!
Collapse

Stephanie Mitchel
Stephanie Mitchel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:23
French to English
Depends on the comments! Mar 13, 2002

I\'ve just had the reflex to hide an answer of mine which was attracting such vituperative responses that I blushed to read them. I\'m not sure why people feel compelled to give a tongue-lashing when a simple \'disagree\' will do. I\'ll try to be more resilient, but in the meantime, I\'m glad the \'hide\' option is there.

Stephanie

AnneM (X)
AnneM (X)  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
MEETING WENESDAY! Mar 13, 2002

I don\'t think we can judge how other people work. I agree with almost all the postings and different opinions here but ... people work in different ways and are affected by different things. Imagine the following situation - you stick up a big poster in your office - MEETING WENESDAY 18.00H

What would you do?

1. leave it there to have everyone learn from your mistake

2. Pen in a \'d\' between the \'n\' and the \'E\'

3. Correct and reprint the poster
... See more
I don\'t think we can judge how other people work. I agree with almost all the postings and different opinions here but ... people work in different ways and are affected by different things. Imagine the following situation - you stick up a big poster in your office - MEETING WENESDAY 18.00H

What would you do?

1. leave it there to have everyone learn from your mistake

2. Pen in a \'d\' between the \'n\' and the \'E\'

3. Correct and reprint the poster

Everyone has different ways of working and every situation is different.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

fallibility is not sinful!

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »