Thread poster: Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:05
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 19, 2012

This is a new feature designed to provide translators with quick, easy-to-digest and objective information about CAT Tools and and other software in a format that allows comparison of selected tools on a variety of attributes. The software comparison tool will also provide information and links to free downloads, support manuals, training, forums and video content, and user reviews.

I encourage you to rate the tools you have worked with and to consider writing a review.
... See more
This is a new feature designed to provide translators with quick, easy-to-digest and objective information about CAT Tools and and other software in a format that allows comparison of selected tools on a variety of attributes. The software comparison tool will also provide information and links to free downloads, support manuals, training, forums and video content, and user reviews.

I encourage you to rate the tools you have worked with and to consider writing a review.

If you have feedback or concerns on the Software comparison too, please feel free to let me know by posting them here in this forum.

http://www.proz.com/software-comparison-tool/

Regards,

Drew
Collapse

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:05
Italian to English
Great Nov 19, 2012

Thanks Drew; this looks as if it is going to be a very useful and long-awaited service.

One or two of the companies may need encouragement to provide the missing data.

One possible bug - unless it's my system set-up: the display in IE9 is very different and inferior to that in Firefox and the drop down category menu is partly off the page.
I'll send a screen print if you like.

Drew MacFadyen
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Russell Nov 19, 2012

IE is a tough browser to get working properly. I will let the team know about the discrepancies in the views.

We do have a means to assign a tool to a specific user as a representative for that product. It is hoped that we can identify the best person to keep that information up to date, and accurate.

Thanks

Drew

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 10:05
English to Turkish
+ ...
CafeTran Nov 19, 2012

Hi Drew,

CafeTran is not included here although it already has a forum at ProZ.com
http://www.proz.com/forum/cafetran_support-1154.html

Selcuk

Drew MacFadyen
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
CafeTran and others to be added this week Nov 19, 2012

Hi Selcuk - I am manually entering data for the time being and have not gotten to CafeTran and a few others...even though they have support forums. There are probably 20+ that are still needing to be added...it's a long list of CAT Tools for our industry.

I will continue to add the tools this week and post a list to this forum of the tools that are still needed to be listed.

Thanks

Drew

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
OmegaT: incomplete data Nov 20, 2012

How can one amend/correct data on a particular program? For example, for OmegaT:

License type: perpetual, a free software license, and a copyleft license (GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE Version 2)

Support & upgrades: unlimited free upgrades, source code available from project’s SourceForge.net page, supported by community

Languages supported: any

inkweaver
inkweaver  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:05
French to German
+ ...
Just out of curiosity... Nov 20, 2012

Where would you find the prices quoted for each individual tool? While the price for MemoQ seems to correspond to the one given on their website, I don't seem to be able to find the price for Studio 2011 which, according to their website, would cost me 845 €, not "just" 545 €. If the price you are quoting here is a TGB offer I think it would only be fair to make that clear and to point out that there might be TGB offers for other tools as well.

Drew MacFadyen
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Updates of information and pricing Nov 20, 2012

Thanks for the replies and input.

As to amending data, right now a support request or this forum will suffice, but we will add a functionality to request that (good suggestion esperantisto).

Inkweaver, pricing was gathered from SDL's website, but it appears that price was a special discount on their site...which is no longer available. I have edited that to reflect the normal price of 845€ - thanks for pointing that out.

The system does allow for a repre
... See more
Thanks for the replies and input.

As to amending data, right now a support request or this forum will suffice, but we will add a functionality to request that (good suggestion esperantisto).

Inkweaver, pricing was gathered from SDL's website, but it appears that price was a special discount on their site...which is no longer available. I have edited that to reflect the normal price of 845€ - thanks for pointing that out.

The system does allow for a representative of the CAT Tool to be listed as the "owner" of that data, which would allow those manufacturers to update their own information. At this time we have not assigned ownership of any of the CAT Tools and all data is being manually entered by me.

Regards,

Drew
Collapse

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
And let us suggest new ones! Nov 21, 2012

I believe, there are some other CAT tools that users may review. For example, Across, Anaphraseus etc.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@esperantisto Nov 21, 2012

esperantisto wrote:
License type: perpetual, a free software license, and a copyleft license (GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE Version 2)

I favour a minimalist approach, so that users can take in the information at a glance, without having to read paragraphs of text. For OmegaT I'd be happy with "Perpetual, GPL2". People who don't know what GPL2 is won't know what "free software" and "copyleft" is either, so making mention of them is superfluous.

Support & upgrades: unlimited free upgrades, source code available from project’s SourceForge.net page, supported by community

I suspect that what is meant by "Support" is paid support. Drew, perhaps you should split up this item into four separate items, namely "Paid support", "Community support", "Version upgrades" and "Minor upgrades and bugfixes". Alternatively, keep the heading as-is, but put it in the style guide that vendors mention the details of the four subcategories.

Whether the mention the source code is for the vendor representative, but IMO the fact that the source code is available is a developer benefit, not a user benefit. It's like saying "you can do your own support and your own upgrades", and that really means "no support and no upgrades".

Languages supported: any

I think that would be "all", not "any".

But again, I think it should be qualified what is meant here. You can translate any language on OmegaT that the version of Java on your operating system supports. Not all features in OmegaT are available in all languages. OmegaT offers fuzzy glossary matching only in a very limited number of languages, and it supports dictionary files in a rather limited number of languages too. It offers spell-checking in many languages (perhaps the spell-checking engine should get a mention, i.e. here it is Hunspell, whereas in other tools they may use a proprietary spell-checker or they may use MS Word's spell-checker, etc). Also, OmegaT has no special functionality for inserting non-keyboard characters, and it has been reported that some dead-key implementations don't work in the OmegaT editing field (if I remember correctly).

Much of what is written above is likely not going to be added by the OmegaT vendor representative, which is why I wonder if it is useful to allow only the product's own vendor to provide information. Should users or other vendors not be given the opportunity to query or qualify information given by any vendor representative (in a non-obtrusive way)?

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Remarks Nov 21, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:

I favour a minimalist approach, so that users can take in the information at a glance, without having to read paragraphs of text.

If reading two lines of text is such a burden for a user, he won’t benefit from the comparison tool anyway.

Whether the mention the source code is for the vendor representative,

You’re kidding or what? There’s no vendor representative because there’s no vendor of OmegaT

but IMO the fact that the source code is available is a developer benefit, not a user benefit.

My opinion is exactly opposite and I insist of mentioning this fact. You don’t have to be a developer to hack the code for some minor changes, such as the default fuzzy threshold.

It's like saying "you can do your own support and your own upgrades", and that really means "no support and no upgrades".

Nonsense. It’s like saying “you don’t have to wait for developers to move their rears if you know what can be enhanced, just go and do”.

You can translate any language on OmegaT that the version of Java on your operating system supports.

No, you can translate exactly any language, as OmegaT accepts arbitrary language codes.

Not all features in OmegaT are available in all languages.

Is there any program that offers all of its features for all languages? Anyway, this is something to mention a user review (BTW, why wouldn’t you write one?), not in the data sheet.

OmegaT has no special functionality for inserting non-keyboard characters

What, mom did not tell you about keyboard layouts? Again, this is something for a user review.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Small comment Nov 21, 2012

esperantisto wrote:
Samuel wrote:
IMO the fact that the source code is available is a developer benefit, not a user benefit.

My opinion is exactly opposite and I insist of mentioning this fact. You don’t have to be a developer to hack the code for some minor changes, such as the default fuzzy threshold.

Yes, but that is not "support". The fact that you are free to fix something that is broken is not the same as getting help with something that might be broken.

Drew MacFadyen
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Language heading Nov 21, 2012

Thanks for the healthy debate everyone.

I have been thinking about the heading "languages" and that it is perhaps confusing and not quite clear. I am thinking it would be better to have clarification as follows:

Languages that the user interface has been localized in to
# of languages supported for translation work (i.e. bi-directional, right left etc)
# of languages user can work in (i.e. is there a limit to the # a user can work in)

I know t
... See more
Thanks for the healthy debate everyone.

I have been thinking about the heading "languages" and that it is perhaps confusing and not quite clear. I am thinking it would be better to have clarification as follows:

Languages that the user interface has been localized in to
# of languages supported for translation work (i.e. bi-directional, right left etc)
# of languages user can work in (i.e. is there a limit to the # a user can work in)

I know that some tools do limit the # of languages a freelance user can select/use. Some CAT tools force a user to select one working language, but then allow you to change with some effort, while others limit a freelancer to working in only 5 language pairs, and any more and it would be an LSP license.

As we can group attributes together, I feel it might be appropriate to group all of these under "Languages" even though the attributes (UI, working pairs, possible pairs) are not related other than their use of the term "language".

I want to avoid adding so much information that it starts to become hard to view/digest.

Do readers of this thread agree that
1) these language attributes are needed (UI, # of working pairs, # of possible pairs)
2) they should be grouped under the heading "Languages"

I welcome any thoughts, or alternatives.

Regards,

Drew
Collapse

Drew MacFadyen
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
CafeTran added Nov 29, 2012

Selcuk I have added CafeTran at http://www.proz.com/software-comparison-tool/tool/cafetran/97 and emailed Igor requesting updates/edits.

Thanks

Drew

Drew MacFadyen
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More tools added Nov 29, 2012

Regarding OmegaT - I have been in contact with individuals representing the OmegaT product/community and have assigned edit rights to an individual whom has already made/requested edits.

I have also added:
CafeTran
Wordbee
GeoworkZ Translation Workspace (Lionbridge)
MultiTrans
and Across

The listings for the recently added tools listed above are likely incomplete at this time. I have asked for updates from the appropriate representatives f
... See more
Regarding OmegaT - I have been in contact with individuals representing the OmegaT product/community and have assigned edit rights to an individual whom has already made/requested edits.

I have also added:
CafeTran
Wordbee
GeoworkZ Translation Workspace (Lionbridge)
MultiTrans
and Across

The listings for the recently added tools listed above are likely incomplete at this time. I have asked for updates from the appropriate representatives for those tools.

Kindly post to this thread any additional CAT Tools that should be listed at this time.

Thanks

Drew
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New service: translator software comparison tool

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »