Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
What about the lousy translations on Proz?
Thread poster: SWEDISH-TRANSLATION.com - your Swedish translation partner (X)
SWEDISH-TRANSLATION.com - your Swedish translation partner (X)
SWEDISH-TRANSLATION.com - your Swedish translation partner (X)
Local time: 19:11
Swedish to English
+ ...
May 1, 2002

I\'ve more and more discovered how lousy some of the (English-Swedish) translations are on this site. A Swedish visitor with some kind of knowledge in the Swedish language would die of laughing if he read some of the translations.

I think this is a big problem for ProZ, because of the bad impression that makes to first time visitors (and all of the others also of course). I don\'t know, but maybe the problem is evident on oth
... See more
I\'ve more and more discovered how lousy some of the (English-Swedish) translations are on this site. A Swedish visitor with some kind of knowledge in the Swedish language would die of laughing if he read some of the translations.

I think this is a big problem for ProZ, because of the bad impression that makes to first time visitors (and all of the others also of course). I don\'t know, but maybe the problem is evident on other translated sites here on ProZ?

All kinds of language errors are present, and a proofreader would have many days of work correcting all of those.

I also think that ProZ translation system has something to do with this. Two different translators does a translation, and one proofreader just chooses one of them. This is insufficient, and could be used just to collect BrowniZ.

Just making my voice heard...

Mattias Bergström

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-05-01 21:48 ]
Collapse

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:11
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Also with the Spanish translation May 1, 2002

Some parts of the Spanish translation of the site have been done by people who fails to write in Spanish (they might be native speakers, but they don\'t know anything about our language)

It\'s a terrible translation... spelling mistakes, false friends, words that don\'t exist...

Any way, i think something should be done.

Regards

Minna Wood MITI (Purring CAT Ltd.) (X)
Minna Wood MITI (Purring CAT Ltd.) (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Finnish
+ ...
The Finnish translation... May 1, 2002

is not very good either!

Minna

Monique Marquard (X)
Monique Marquard (X)
Danish to Norwegian
+ ...
The Norwegian site May 1, 2002

The Norwegian site is no better. Among other things I\'ve noticed that part of the site has been translated by an eager non-native speaker, leading to some strange translations and many misspellings - and unfortunately someone (looking for BrowniZ?) even approved many of the bad translations.

I tried contacting ProZ.com about this quite a while back, but I guess they don\'t have time to read messages from non-paying members, as I never received a reply (I\'d hate to think th
... See more
The Norwegian site is no better. Among other things I\'ve noticed that part of the site has been translated by an eager non-native speaker, leading to some strange translations and many misspellings - and unfortunately someone (looking for BrowniZ?) even approved many of the bad translations.

I tried contacting ProZ.com about this quite a while back, but I guess they don\'t have time to read messages from non-paying members, as I never received a reply (I\'d hate to think that the appearance of ProZ.com in other languages is not considered a serious matter by ProZ.com staff).
Collapse

Fabienne Garlatti
Fabienne Garlatti  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:11
English to French
+ ...
French translation May 1, 2002

have also noticed mistakes \'confirmed\' by reviewer in French, showing that translation has been carried out by people who don\'t fully know the site.

but these and other pbs like foreseeable truncations and eclectic style within a same page will have a chance to be QAed (if QA testing is scheduled, that is)

whatever the case, I hope to have the choice *not* to use the site of our target language/mother tongue/country....

Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
hang on May 1, 2002

This is being dealt with people! The Italian community (or the ItEn mods to be exact) has started a pilot project that will be a model for all the other languages. Basically, a call is made for volunteers to rehash the mess that we have now. Contact your respective moderator for details.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 13:11
SITE FOUNDER
The Pilot Project is still not completed May 1, 2002

We have made changes on the site to allow improvements in localized versions of www.ProZ.com.

One of the ProZ communities has been working for almost two months on fixing the entire site in their language. We want to assure that the new approach to improving the site works before we start implementing it on a wider scale.

I am sure that once the Pilot Project is completed, those who participated will be eager
... See more
We have made changes on the site to allow improvements in localized versions of www.ProZ.com.

One of the ProZ communities has been working for almost two months on fixing the entire site in their language. We want to assure that the new approach to improving the site works before we start implementing it on a wider scale.

I am sure that once the Pilot Project is completed, those who participated will be eager to share their experiences and lessons learned while working on this project.

We recognize that the quality of www.ProZ.com in every language is important. It is a significant effort requiring multiple resources and project management skills.
Collapse

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:11
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I would like to be in a similar project May 2, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-05-01 23:04, Henry wrote:

I am sure that once the Pilot Project is completed, those who participated will be eager to share their experiences and lessons learned while working on this project.

Once our fellows had completed the Pilot Project, I would like to participate in a similar project for the Spanish version of the site.

Regards,

... See more
Quote:

On 2002-05-01 23:04, Henry wrote:

Once our fellows had completed the Pilot Project, I would like to participate in a similar project for the Spanish version of the site.

Regards,

Clarisa

Collapse

Ad Timmering (X)
Ad Timmering (X)  Identity Verified
Japanese to Dutch
+ ...
ProZ localization May 2, 2002

I translated some items of the Dutch localized version of ProZ and read parts of the Japanese version.

While gaining some import BrowniZ I realized the following

1) not being able to see in what page (i.e. in what context) a certain line is being used makes it difficult to choose the right term for the context

2) the absence of terminology lists makes it difficult to make a translation consistant with other parts of the site.

Added, t
... See more
I translated some items of the Dutch localized version of ProZ and read parts of the Japanese version.

While gaining some import BrowniZ I realized the following

1) not being able to see in what page (i.e. in what context) a certain line is being used makes it difficult to choose the right term for the context

2) the absence of terminology lists makes it difficult to make a translation consistant with other parts of the site.

Added, these two factors make up for a hard to read localized version of the site in my opinion.

Just my two eurocents.
Collapse

Pilar T. Bayle (X)
Pilar T. Bayle (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 2, 2002

Quote:

I would like to participate too. Count me in with Clarisa for the Spanish interface.

P.

Andrea Bullrich
Andrea Bullrich  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:11
English to Spanish
Same here May 2, 2002

Count me in if you need one more volunteer. The Spanish version badly needs a makeover, and so does the translating and editing system. The fragments are a drag, the options for accepting or rejecting edits are too limited, there\'s no glossary or spellcheck... There are a hundred things we can do to improve it!

Andrea

Lydia Molea
Lydia Molea  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
German May 2, 2002

The problem I noticed on the German translation site is that people don\'t read the rules before they start translating. I saw one case in which the checker translated the German back into English (duh), and other cases in which the checker did a German translation, but, just like KudoZ, commented on it at the same time, giving references and explanations, not realizing that all would be shown.

Anyway ... count me in.

Mike Sekine
Mike Sekine  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 02:11
English to Japanese
+ ...
Japanese version is terrible as well! May 2, 2002

the word \"Background\" on the profile page is translated as \"Go Back\". I mean, literally.

that is terrible. Henry, count me in if you need a volunteer.

max (X)
max (X)
Local time: 10:11
English to Dutch
+ ...
Another Spanish volunteer May 2, 2002

Yes, I would gladly help out to try and come out with a global Spanish version of the site. Cristina

Elena Miguel
Elena Miguel  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
New Spanish volunteer May 2, 2002

I would also be happy to help with the Spanish site.

Regards.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What about the lousy translations on Proz?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »