recent spate of German-English Kudoz on railroad terms
Thread poster: Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
May 9, 2002

Many of you probably have noticed them. The questions were posted by an agency owner from Alpha Translations. While many of us were kind enough to help, hence the immediate answers, the asker is a bit of a novice in Kudoz and so was hasty in closing the questions. Here\'s what she wrote me:

\"I\'m afraid that I\'ve been unable to enter the entire sentence for the context box because I was only given a list of terms

from one of our translators that needed to be res
... See more
Many of you probably have noticed them. The questions were posted by an agency owner from Alpha Translations. While many of us were kind enough to help, hence the immediate answers, the asker is a bit of a novice in Kudoz and so was hasty in closing the questions. Here\'s what she wrote me:

\"I\'m afraid that I\'ve been unable to enter the entire sentence for the context box because I was only given a list of terms

from one of our translators that needed to be researched, and I don\'t have access

to the file. I\'ve made a list of all the different responses the translators

have posted so that she will be able to decide which term fits in context.

And I apologize for not working with the glossary correctly; this is the first time I\'ve used this function in ProZ and apparantley not too clear on what I should be doing. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.\"

I initially urged her to provide more context and keep the questions open for at least several hours so everyone who\'s interested can weigh in on the questions. Several wrong entries were made to the glossary and incorrect answers selected.

I urge everybody to put in their comments even to questions where answers have been picked and glossary entries made. We can then make the proper changes to the glossary.

Marcus
Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:28
Member (2004)
English to Italian
glossaries... May 9, 2002

are they really useful, anyway? We all know they are full of mistakes, with the wrong terminology selected all the time. To be taken with a huuuuuuuuuuge pinch of salt. The problem is: I\'m fairly experienced, but what about the novices? Surely it\'s a disservice to them. They should carry a disclaimer!

Giovanni

Marcus Malabad
Canada
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
instead May 9, 2002

of touting your experience, why don\'t you make the glossary changes yourself and contribute to its improvement? I\'m absolutely sure you can transfer your obvious skills into lexicographical endeavors. The grain of salt will immediately dissolve in the mouth of those who take action. But judging from your recent assertions of \"boredom\", you better stick to your hobby of improving the look of your profile, which, by the way, is superb.

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:28
Spanish to English
+ ...
I'm working on this (Sp>En) May 9, 2002

And since I\'ve invested a lot of time in it on both ends (as asker and answerer) I like to think it helps, and that an intelligent translator can distinguish when the context is NOT the one he\'s talking about.

Sam D (X)
Sam D (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Glossaries May 9, 2002

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-05-17 13:45 ]

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Marcus... May 9, 2002

can I point out that I do my fair share of compiling and \"Kudozing\". In fact, I even paid 120 bucks for the privilige, which is something you don\'t seem to be bothered about. Thanks for the good words about my profile.

Giovanni

P.S. Keep swimming.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-05-09 18:39 ]

Maya Jurt
Maya Jurt  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 14:28
French to German
+ ...
Improving the glossaries May 9, 2002

That is exactly what I am doing when I have a moment to spare. But it is such a huge task, I am feeling like Sisyphus - getting nowhere. And you cant delete questions and answers, I think. This would be necessary, for there are such a lot of nonsensical questions (and answers)that should be deleted.

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
that's my point, Maya... May 9, 2002

although we can try and fix the glossaries, the rate at which the new terms are added is so great that it would require 150 people to keep up. And the system isn\'t really a model of flexibility...

Giovanni

Trudy Peters
Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:28
German to English
+ ...
Questions from agency owner May 10, 2002

Marcus, what I don\'t understand is why the agency doesn\'t have access to the file her translators are working on to give more context!

???

Trudy

Marcus Malabad
Canada
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dunno May 10, 2002

Don\'t really care. All I care about is to do the drudgery of improving the glossary despite detractors.

M

Quote:

On 2002-05-10 00:51, Trudy wrote:

Marcus, what I don\'t understand is why the agency doesn\'t have access to the file her translators are working on to give more context!

???

Trudy

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Detractors... May 10, 2002

if stating the situation is \"detracting\", then I\'m a detractor... As far as I\'m concerned, it is a gigantic task which I gladly leave to you, Marcus, if you wish to waste your time. The glossary will never be ok; it\'s a beast evolving continously, fed mostly by incompetent askers. The basis of the system is wrong, it\'s the way it\'s been set up. The terms are entered by the same clueless people who don\'t know very much, otherwise they wouldn\'t ask questions. I\'m sorry if you think that ... See more
if stating the situation is \"detracting\", then I\'m a detractor... As far as I\'m concerned, it is a gigantic task which I gladly leave to you, Marcus, if you wish to waste your time. The glossary will never be ok; it\'s a beast evolving continously, fed mostly by incompetent askers. The basis of the system is wrong, it\'s the way it\'s been set up. The terms are entered by the same clueless people who don\'t know very much, otherwise they wouldn\'t ask questions. I\'m sorry if you think that I\'m a detractor, but because of the way the glossaries work, I consider it a waste of time. I do admire you for your dedication, though.

Giovanni
Collapse

CLS Lexi-tech
CLS Lexi-tech
Local time: 08:28
English to Italian
+ ...
Wait a minute.... May 10, 2002

Have you ever used the glossaries, Giovanni?

I don\'t think you have. There are many entries that have nothing to do with Kudoz, that have been entered by translators like you and me for their own personal benefit. This is why it is called GLOSSARIES, in the plural. For example, one colleague has entered all kind of financial terms, another all kind of telecom terms.

If people only used the glossarIES. When I translate it, I use it all the time...
... See more
Have you ever used the glossaries, Giovanni?

I don\'t think you have. There are many entries that have nothing to do with Kudoz, that have been entered by translators like you and me for their own personal benefit. This is why it is called GLOSSARIES, in the plural. For example, one colleague has entered all kind of financial terms, another all kind of telecom terms.

If people only used the glossarIES. When I translate it, I use it all the time...

over and out

paola l m

Collapse

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
I use them as well... May 10, 2002

my point was very simple... if you are unexperienced, you might choose the wrong term from the glossaries, since - I\'m afraid - there are many mistakes in them. If you are a more seasoned translator, you will have learnt to discern and recognise what\'s right and what\'s wrong. I think that it would take too much time and effort to put them right. That\'s all.

Giovanni

Sam D (X)
Sam D (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Glossaries May 10, 2002

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-05-17 13:46 ]

John Kinory (X)
John Kinory (X)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Absolutely May 10, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-05-09 16:13, guarnieri wrote:

are they really useful, anyway? We all know they are full of mistakes, with the wrong terminology selected all the time. To be taken with a huuuuuuuuuuge pinch of salt. The problem is: I\'m fairly experienced, but what about the novices? Surely it\'s a disservice to them. They should carry a disclaimer!

Giovanni

Agree completely... See more
Quote:

On 2002-05-09 16:13, guarnieri wrote:

Giovanni

Agree completely, and can only suggest you treat the usual nasty flaming from Marcus with the contempt it deserves.
[addsig] ▲ Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

recent spate of German-English Kudoz on railroad terms

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »