Thread poster: Bertha S. Deffenbaugh
Bertha S. Deffenbaugh
Bertha S. Deffenbaugh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 31, 2002

Being that so many ProZ colleagues and so many people in the entire world feel so enthousiastic about the World Football Championship, I have decided to share this information.

Since 1930, only 7 countries have succeded in becoming World Champions: URUGUAY,ITALY,GERMANY,BRAZIL,ENGLAND,ARGENTINA,FRANCE.

Champion: URUGUAY

Uruguay 4 - 2 Argentina (Runner up)

Champion: ITALY... See more
Being that so many ProZ colleagues and so many people in the entire world feel so enthousiastic about the World Football Championship, I have decided to share this information.

Since 1930, only 7 countries have succeded in becoming World Champions: URUGUAY,ITALY,GERMANY,BRAZIL,ENGLAND,ARGENTINA,FRANCE.

Champion: URUGUAY

Uruguay 4 - 2 Argentina (Runner up)

Champion: ITALY

Italy 2 - 1 Czech Republic ( Runner up)

Italy 4 - 2 Hungary (Runner up)

World Champion: URUGUAY

Uruguay 2 - 1 Brazil( Runner up)

Champion: GERMANY

Germany 3 - 2 Hungary ( Runner up)

Champion: BRAZIL

Brazil 5 - 2 Sweden ( Runner up)

Brazil 3 - 1 Czech Republic (Runner up)

Champion: ENGLAND

England 4 - 2 Germany (Runner up)

Brazil 4 - 1 Italy (Runner up)

1974 Germany 2 -1 The Netherlands(Runner up)

Champion: ARGENTINA

Argentina 3 - 1 The Netherlands (Runner up)

Italy 3 - 1 Germany (Runner up)

Champion: ARGENTINA

Argentina 3 - 2 Germany (Runner up)

Germany 1 - 0 Argentina (Runner up)

Champion:BRAZIL

Brazil 0 - 0 Italy (Runner up)

Champion:FRANCE

France 3 - 0 Brazil (Runner up)

As I am uruguayan and live in the USA...

GO GO GO URUGUAY!!

GO GO GO U.S.A.!!

Collapse

Leonardo Parachú
Leonardo Parachú  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
¿Juega Uruguay? May 31, 2002

Si nos vamos a poner futboleros bánquense el lunfardo argentino. Los yoruguas no esisten, los brazucas son de madera y el técnico no sirve. Los de Francia están agrandados y no ponen huevos. Los alemanes son 11 robots que se mueven con menos gracia que un pato. Italia tiene un buen equipo sí, pero el técnico es un cagón (miedoso). Los demás están de relleno. ARGENTINA llega a la final con CROACIA, acuérdense lo que les digo. El resultado vaya uno a saber. Espero que sea ARGENTINA, pero ... See more
Si nos vamos a poner futboleros bánquense el lunfardo argentino. Los yoruguas no esisten, los brazucas son de madera y el técnico no sirve. Los de Francia están agrandados y no ponen huevos. Los alemanes son 11 robots que se mueven con menos gracia que un pato. Italia tiene un buen equipo sí, pero el técnico es un cagón (miedoso). Los demás están de relleno. ARGENTINA llega a la final con CROACIA, acuérdense lo que les digo. El resultado vaya uno a saber. Espero que sea ARGENTINA, pero CROACIA siempre me cayó simpático.

Mucha suerte y no lo tomen como agresión nacionalística. Pero el fulbol me saca ¿vieron?
[addsig]
Collapse

Olga Simon
Olga Simon  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 06:55
English to Russian
+ ...
Thank you,Bertha, May 31, 2002

I read you topic out to my hubby, he was very happy about it.

Unfortunately Hungary is not even close to the World Cup nowadays and Puskas is living in Spain (he was the hero in 1954). So, let\'s just enjoy the event!!!

(I hope I am not the only wife who wakes up at 3 am because of crazy yells and screams \"Gooooooooooooooooooal!\"

See more
I read you topic out to my hubby, he was very happy about it.

Unfortunately Hungary is not even close to the World Cup nowadays and Puskas is living in Spain (he was the hero in 1954). So, let\'s just enjoy the event!!!

(I hope I am not the only wife who wakes up at 3 am because of crazy yells and screams \"Gooooooooooooooooooal!\"

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-05-31 18:19 ]
Collapse

Bertha S. Deffenbaugh
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Olga... May 31, 2002

My husband is american, he prefers baseball and he has no intention whatsoever to get up THAT early to watch any games.

I asked him: \" ...not even those of the USA?\"

He stared at me and answered with another question:

\"At 2.00 am?\"

As you can see, I am going to watch the matches all alone.

Today I am thinking of going to bed at 6.00pm to get up at 1.45am...
... See more
My husband is american, he prefers baseball and he has no intention whatsoever to get up THAT early to watch any games.

I asked him: \" ...not even those of the USA?\"

He stared at me and answered with another question:

\"At 2.00 am?\"

As you can see, I am going to watch the matches all alone.

Today I am thinking of going to bed at 6.00pm to get up at 1.45am...

Collapse

Teresa Duran-Sanchez
Teresa Duran-Sanchez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:55
German to Spanish
+ ...
Hasta el c... de fútbol May 31, 2002

En mi oficina han puesto una televisión para no perderse un gol, hay que j... Que me dejen ver los Simpsons instead, faltaría más.

AAAmedical
AAAmedical  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
women and loving the worldcup May 31, 2002

O, it feels good to read that there are other women out there who seem to love the cup games. Being Belgian and actually living in Egypt I do not have a lot of collegue supporters here.

May the best win.......

Paul Roige (X)
Paul Roige (X)
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
you forgot this year's winner May 31, 2002

¡¡VIVA EL SENEGAL!!

Final match: Senegal 12-11 South Africa

Ali Farka Touré\'s Wolof Hooligans Associated

Bertha S. Deffenbaugh
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Gee! Jun 1, 2002

I can see Senegal has lots of fans, huh?

Bertha S. Deffenbaugh
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Got something for you, Olga Jun 1, 2002

One of the finest ever players in the game, Ferenc Puskas never was able to fulfil his true potential in a World Cup, despite being silvermedalist in 1954. He began his career in 1943 in Kispest a suburb of Budapest, and at the age of 18 in 1945 he made his debut for Hungary against Austria in his country\'s first post-war international match. Puskas played in the fabulous Hungary side that trashed England 6-3 at Wembley in 1953, the first team outside Britain to beat England at home.
... See more
One of the finest ever players in the game, Ferenc Puskas never was able to fulfil his true potential in a World Cup, despite being silvermedalist in 1954. He began his career in 1943 in Kispest a suburb of Budapest, and at the age of 18 in 1945 he made his debut for Hungary against Austria in his country\'s first post-war international match. Puskas played in the fabulous Hungary side that trashed England 6-3 at Wembley in 1953, the first team outside Britain to beat England at home.

http://www.worldcuparchive.com/LEGENDS/puskas.html
Collapse

Olga Simon
Hungary
English to Russian
+ ...
Thanks, Betha, Jun 1, 2002

Actually he just came to Budapest a couple of month ago to celebrate his 70(?) birthday and the former National Stadium was named after him. That was his birthday gift.

So now we have Ferenc Puskas stadium in Pest.

Olga Simon
Hungary
English to Russian
+ ...
Thanks, Betha, Jun 1, 2002

Actually he just came to Budapest a couple of month ago to celebrate his 70(?) birthday and the former National Stadium was named after him. That was his birthday gift.

So now we have Ferenc Puskas stadium in Pest.

Bertha S. Deffenbaugh
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Los argentinos, siempre tan humildes... Jun 1, 2002

... y los mejores en todo, no?

Vamos, Leonardo, un poco de humildad no les vendría mal...

Acá no estamos peleando, de modo que tendrás que pelear solo...*argentino, ombliguito del mundo*

Eivind Lilleskjaeret
Eivind Lilleskjaeret  Identity Verified
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Statistics are interesting, Bertha ... Jun 2, 2002

... but Uruguay were well and truly stuffed by the Danes yesterday, weren\'t they

Enjoy the rest of the games!

Bertha S. Deffenbaugh
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oh, yeah, Eivind Jun 2, 2002

you\'re right. The uruguayan team did not play *as a team*. A bunch of individuals do not make a team, no matter how good they may be. That has been the problem of uruguayan teams for the last decade. Pity.

Anyway, in spite of the Uruguayan team poor performance I am trying to enjoy this championship as much as possible.

Pity the matches start either late at night or too early in the morning for us. ... See more
you\'re right. The uruguayan team did not play *as a team*. A bunch of individuals do not make a team, no matter how good they may be. That has been the problem of uruguayan teams for the last decade. Pity.

Anyway, in spite of the Uruguayan team poor performance I am trying to enjoy this championship as much as possible.

Pity the matches start either late at night or too early in the morning for us.

Collapse

Bertha S. Deffenbaugh
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I am also a U.S.A team supporter Jun 2, 2002

I do not have only one team to support, but two. Let\'s see how the U.S.A. team does.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Only 7 Soccer World Champions since 1930

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »