Let\'s do away with agree and disagree
Thread poster: CLS Lexi-tech
claudia bagnardi
claudia bagnardi  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
It is useful, Paola Jun 24, 2002

I agree with some colleagues. It depends on the use we make of that tool.

The fact is, bids appear quite late in my computer, so, instead of posting a reply, I agree when I think it´s the proper answer. I must confess I have only one used \"disagree\". It was when one doubt referred to a 50 word paragraph.

If you or I get a \"disagree\",I have a

personal motto \"a kick in the rear is always a step forward\". Don´t worry, be happy.

Another piece of advic
... See more
I agree with some colleagues. It depends on the use we make of that tool.

The fact is, bids appear quite late in my computer, so, instead of posting a reply, I agree when I think it´s the proper answer. I must confess I have only one used \"disagree\". It was when one doubt referred to a 50 word paragraph.

If you or I get a \"disagree\",I have a

personal motto \"a kick in the rear is always a step forward\". Don´t worry, be happy.

Another piece of advice: check WHO disagrees. You will surely find out it is generally a disagree-addict.

A rivederci Paola
Collapse

sharwood
sharwood
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:49
English to Polish
+ ...
three cheers for ludovici Jun 24, 2002

Your missive put a smile (of relief and gratitude) on my face. Indeed, I could not AGREE more. I mean, DISAGREE more with this me-judge-you lark. It may be helpful, I daresay it is helpful. However, it has a competitive, unpleasant, arrogant edge to it and frankly, when the discussions start and then go on ... and on..., I can\'t help thinking of this wonderful Dutch expression which sums it up beautifully if a little lewdly (and rewdly), about a certain activity applied to ants.

... See more
Your missive put a smile (of relief and gratitude) on my face. Indeed, I could not AGREE more. I mean, DISAGREE more with this me-judge-you lark. It may be helpful, I daresay it is helpful. However, it has a competitive, unpleasant, arrogant edge to it and frankly, when the discussions start and then go on ... and on..., I can\'t help thinking of this wonderful Dutch expression which sums it up beautifully if a little lewdly (and rewdly), about a certain activity applied to ants.

Are all pairs equal or are some pairs worse than others, I wonder? Scope for a sociological study p\'raps?
Collapse

Dr. Fred Thomson
Dr. Fred Thomson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:49
German to English
Keep the system! Jun 25, 2002

It is helpful in so many ways. Life would lose some of its zing without it.

Whenever I get an obnoxious (as opposed to a well-deserved) disagree I simply complain to my wife, and she always finds a way to sooth my damaged ego (huge fringe benefit).

Antonella Andreella (X)
Antonella Andreella (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 07:49
German to Italian
+ ...
Yes, actually Jun 25, 2002

... problems may arise.... that was one of my first precious experiences here at Proz.

And I must say that I felt so lonely at that time, nevertheless I\'d never think to abolish \'agree\' or \'disagree\' only because it caused me some trouble.

I really think it is quite useful even if it sometimes causes some \'flameware\'.

As to me, the experience I\'m referring to was a great \'teacher\' to me... IGNORING can be a quite useful at
... See more
... problems may arise.... that was one of my first precious experiences here at Proz.

And I must say that I felt so lonely at that time, nevertheless I\'d never think to abolish \'agree\' or \'disagree\' only because it caused me some trouble.

I really think it is quite useful even if it sometimes causes some \'flameware\'.

As to me, the experience I\'m referring to was a great \'teacher\' to me... IGNORING can be a quite useful attitude, not always and always but... let\'s say often enough.

I never use the \'disagree\' option (or quite seldom), just put my \'agree\' on the answer/s I prefer, I think is much easier, unless there is a TOTALLY wrong answer and in that case I want to warn the asker not to choose the wrong answer, but what\'s wrong, after all?

We always answer having a partial knowledge of the whole text. Our answers are \'double-blind\' answers, in many cases, so it is not that easy for us to judge the answers given by peers, at least difficult enough to use the \"disagree\" option, and the decision can only be taken by the asker.

Cheers

Collapse

Paul Bousquet
Paul Bousquet  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:49
Spanish to French
+ ...
See following example. Jun 25, 2002

Concerning drug czar

http://www.proz.com/?sp=h&eid_c=27454&id=193805&keyword=czar

Un fuerte abrazo.

Paul

GILOU
GILOU  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:49
English to French
Point-scale proposal Jun 25, 2002

I don\'t think it\'s a good idea since peers who grade \'disagree\' would grade \'-5\' and would show the same sadism to belittle translators.

Hardy Moreno
Hardy Moreno  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
I disagree with getting rid of the agree & disagree button Jun 25, 2002

Personally, I haven\'t yet received a bad reply from a colleague, and I\'ve been using this site since March of this year.

I think that most of the times, most of the colleagues who use the disagree button have legitimate reasons for doing so.

I say, if the disagree button is to be used, give a good and respectable reason as to why. Don\'t be nitpicky. Use common sense and be reasonable.

Most importantly, be motivated by love in
... See more
Personally, I haven\'t yet received a bad reply from a colleague, and I\'ve been using this site since March of this year.

I think that most of the times, most of the colleagues who use the disagree button have legitimate reasons for doing so.

I say, if the disagree button is to be used, give a good and respectable reason as to why. Don\'t be nitpicky. Use common sense and be reasonable.

Most importantly, be motivated by love in what you do and say.
Collapse

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:49
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Human Nature Jun 26, 2002

Hi Paola,

IMO the options agree / neutral / disagree are very useful per se. The trouble is, and not for the first time in life, of a human nature ....

I think it should be better explained how to use them, as a couple of colleagues are taking a \"disagree\" as a way to tell they prefer \"soup\" to your \"wet bread\" and not as a \"wrong answer: the correct term is...\". Some of these colleagues don\'t even think there might be another way to call someth
... See more
Hi Paola,

IMO the options agree / neutral / disagree are very useful per se. The trouble is, and not for the first time in life, of a human nature ....

I think it should be better explained how to use them, as a couple of colleagues are taking a \"disagree\" as a way to tell they prefer \"soup\" to your \"wet bread\" and not as a \"wrong answer: the correct term is...\". Some of these colleagues don\'t even think there might be another way to call something, they are so sure that they don\'t check before adding a disagree: it looks so silly to me, but I call this attitude by another name, a sort of unpleasant plot for a specific target having nothing to do with the asker\'s question or the colleague\'s answer.

I prefer neutral.

I have learned to ignore those disagrees and those, who like to copycat the previous answer adding comments for the only lonely one target of scoring by any mean: they might score points, but their answers stay and qualify their methods and attitudes better than the number of scored points. I am not impressed by a high number of KudoZ points per se, but by the answers given: I believe PMs and potential clients have a look behind figures and check answers... you do it, too, don\'t you?!

Cheers,

Giuliana

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-06-27 14:15 ]
Collapse

Rowan Morrell
Rowan Morrell  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 19:49
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
A Good Feature Jul 18, 2002

I for one like the Agree/Neutral/Disagree function. To me, it\'s a good feature. I have had a few neutrals and disagrees, but most of the time, I have learned something from them. Also, if an answer is blatantly wrong, others should be able to point it out, lest the asker be misled. I have done some disagreeing on one or two occasions, usually when the answer was clearly a bad one.

It\'s always nice to be agreed with, but as I\'ve said, a neutral or disagree can sometimes te
... See more
I for one like the Agree/Neutral/Disagree function. To me, it\'s a good feature. I have had a few neutrals and disagrees, but most of the time, I have learned something from them. Also, if an answer is blatantly wrong, others should be able to point it out, lest the asker be misled. I have done some disagreeing on one or two occasions, usually when the answer was clearly a bad one.

It\'s always nice to be agreed with, but as I\'ve said, a neutral or disagree can sometimes teach you things that may be beneficial in the long run. So, while it may sting the ego a little in the short term, it can also be a great learning experience. And I think translation is one profession where you never stop learning!

As someone else has said, the problem is not with the agree/disagree system, but with the small minority who abuse it. This same minority would abuse a points system if that was introduced. I think eventually, you get to know those who disagree for the sake of it, and learn to ignore them. Or use your right of reply to rebuff them, if you think their disagree is totally out of line. Another option could maybe be contacting the moderator for your language pair.

In summary then, the system should be left as it is. At its best, a neutral or disagree can keep us honest and/or humble, and protect the asker from being led up the garden path. If it is misused, there is at least the right of reply, or the right to ignore. Overall, the pros outweigh the cons. And ProZ outperforms any other service to freelancers that I know of.

Best Regards

ROWAN MORRELL

(WriteWord Translations)
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Let\'s do away with agree and disagree

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »