Who decides who gets email notification of a ProZ.com job ?
Thread poster: Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 08:53
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Oct 15, 2001

I am kind of new here on Proz, have bidded on some jobs but no success. ( about 10 ) Unfortunately I get some of the e-mails, which notify me about the recent jobs, too late. ( The bid was already closed ) I have also heard from a Proz member, that sometimes some members don\'t even get notifications about the jobs ... Who decides who gets a notification and who decides who gets the job ?

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 02:53
SITE FOUNDER
There is no delay or discrimination in email notices Oct 15, 2001

Job notifications go out immediately* after a job, or a question, is posted. And no favoritism is shown.

Before jumping to the conclusion that you are not getting emails that you should get, please consider that if an outsourcer specifies certain detailed criteria that your profile does not match, you will not get notification. For example, if the outsourcer is looking for someone in Canada, you won\'t get notification unless you are in Canada. Outsourcers may also specify t
... See more
Job notifications go out immediately* after a job, or a question, is posted. And no favoritism is shown.

Before jumping to the conclusion that you are not getting emails that you should get, please consider that if an outsourcer specifies certain detailed criteria that your profile does not match, you will not get notification. For example, if the outsourcer is looking for someone in Canada, you won\'t get notification unless you are in Canada. Outsourcers may also specify that you be certified/accredited, that you own DejaVu, etc. In other words, in job matching, much more than just language pair and specialization are considered.

As for delays in receiving ProZ.com notifications, those delays can be caused at any point between the ProZ.com servers and the place you receive email. From our experience, hotmail, yahoo, etc.--the free accounts--seem to have a slightly longer delay than paid accounts. So if you only use those services, you might be at a slight disadvantage when it comes to rapidly answering KudoZ question. Paid email accounts with smaller providers seem to have more instances of several-hour (or several-day) delays due to their technical problems, but are faster when they are operating smoothly.

Sometimes, of course, the problem is with us. If you are not getting emails you are *sure* you should get, please stop by the forum \"bug\" section to see if the problem has already been noted. If it has not, consider giving us a quick call. It will be appreciated!

Henry

* Well, almost immediately. In times of heavy traffic, it may take up to 15 minutes for an email to leave our server. Also, there have been three or four instances where our mail servers have failed, even for several days. But that is not normal operating procedure, and contrary to what some have assumed, it is certainly not intentional.
Collapse

Carla Zwanenberg
Carla Zwanenberg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:53
Member (2002)
English to Dutch
+ ...
The client does Oct 15, 2001

Hi Katalin,

Welcome to the club

The answer to your first question is easy: the job poster, i.e. the client decides which translator gets the job.

The second is a bit more complicated: the notifications you will receive depend on your e-mail settings (to be found on your profile page) and on the requirements of the job poster. Let\'s assume that someone has a Hungarian-English job and requires th
... See more
Hi Katalin,

Welcome to the club

The answer to your first question is easy: the job poster, i.e. the client decides which translator gets the job.

The second is a bit more complicated: the notifications you will receive depend on your e-mail settings (to be found on your profile page) and on the requirements of the job poster. Let\'s assume that someone has a Hungarian-English job and requires that the translator lives in the UK. In this case you would not receive a notification as you are living in Hungary. Same goes for a job that must be done with a CAT-tool; according to your profile page you don\'t use CAT-tools so you won\'t be notified. Well, that\'s more or less the way it works. If I wasn\'t clear, just ask again

Good luck with your next bids!

Carla

Great, Henry stepped in before and explained much better than I did ;-(

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-10-15 10:51 ]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Who decides who gets email notification of a ProZ.com job ?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »