Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
What are BrowniZ for, anyway? Can they be \"spent\"?
Thread poster: Julia Gal
Jon Zuber (X)
Jon Zuber (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Absolutely against negative points Oct 27, 2001

If for no other reason than that different SCs have pools of potential answerers of different sizes. Members of the larger ones get usable answers far more easily, and hence have less excuse for leaving questions open, while those of us in SCs like Catalan>English get answers from a handful of active members on the list.

Furthermore, I don\'t see that open questions are damaging in and of themselves. Anyone who takes umbrage at someone for not checking off on answers can alw
... See more
If for no other reason than that different SCs have pools of potential answerers of different sizes. Members of the larger ones get usable answers far more easily, and hence have less excuse for leaving questions open, while those of us in SCs like Catalan>English get answers from a handful of active members on the list.

Furthermore, I don\'t see that open questions are damaging in and of themselves. Anyone who takes umbrage at someone for not checking off on answers can always stop offering them to that person.
Collapse

Julia Berman
Julia Berman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 02:58
English to Russian
Quite agree with both Johanna and Jon Nov 23, 2001

My understanding has always been that one of the ideas behind Kudoz was that translators help each other to identify the right term rather than always expect something in return. I am not saying that one shouldn\'t grade answers of course, but it has happened to me several times that all the answers posted in reply to my questions were nowhere near what I wanted. The system does not allow to say general thank you for everybody\'s input, and I don\'t think it would be right to pick one of the inc... See more
My understanding has always been that one of the ideas behind Kudoz was that translators help each other to identify the right term rather than always expect something in return. I am not saying that one shouldn\'t grade answers of course, but it has happened to me several times that all the answers posted in reply to my questions were nowhere near what I wanted. The system does not allow to say general thank you for everybody\'s input, and I don\'t think it would be right to pick one of the incorrect answers and grade it. Aslo, leaving such answers ungraded does give a chance to somebody else to provide the right one some time in the future.

I use Kudoz system on a regular basis (although not as often as many) posting both questions and (sometimes) answers and I am very grateful to those who choose to help me out. Sometimes however, there is just no way to make grading fair enough.

Julia

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-11-23 07:28 ]
Collapse

Claudia Campbell
Claudia Campbell
Brazil
Local time: 20:58
Spanish to Portuguese
+ ...
Peer Graded Answer After 1 Year Nov 26, 2001

Today some of my answers were peer graded by the same asker. But the interesting thing is that they were from November 2000!

If you are not forced to grade an aswer why do you wait **more than a year to answer** it?

(a) Does it has any relation with the fees for bidding that will take place the following year or it is just a coincidence?

(b) Does it has any relation with the suggestion of the Negative Browniz for those who do not answer or it is just a coincidenc
... See more
Today some of my answers were peer graded by the same asker. But the interesting thing is that they were from November 2000!

If you are not forced to grade an aswer why do you wait **more than a year to answer** it?

(a) Does it has any relation with the fees for bidding that will take place the following year or it is just a coincidence?

(b) Does it has any relation with the suggestion of the Negative Browniz for those who do not answer or it is just a coincidence?

(c) Both of them

(d) Any of them.

Make your choice.

Collapse

Julia Bogdan Rollo (X)
Julia Bogdan Rollo (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:58
Romanian to English
+ ...
Negative BrowniZ Dec 3, 2001

I agree with the person who mentioned that sometimes the answers do not fit the question and sometimes you want to give ore than one person credit. Perhaps you could look into that?

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-12-03 08:18 ]

John Kinory (X)
John Kinory (X)
Local time: 00:58
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Can you spend Kudoz? Dec 7, 2001

I think I asked this when I became aware that from January there is a fee payable on bids. I don\'t remember this point being answered, but maybe it\'s just me

So: can you spend them on Platinum, Iridium, Osmium or any other grade?

Can you use them for job bids?

OTOH: will both Kudoz and Browniez count towards instant jobs?

No, not everyone here is a professional, though the majority are - and incredibly hel
... See more
I think I asked this when I became aware that from January there is a fee payable on bids. I don\'t remember this point being answered, but maybe it\'s just me

So: can you spend them on Platinum, Iridium, Osmium or any other grade?

Can you use them for job bids?

OTOH: will both Kudoz and Browniez count towards instant jobs?

No, not everyone here is a professional, though the majority are - and incredibly helpful to boot. And the whole site and the idea (or really, many ideas) behind it are brill!

There are, though, people posting replies either in bad faith, or not even aware of the fact that you cannot post answers into what is not your native or habitual language, just as you shouldn\'t translate into it. I have seen some really dreadful howlers. And apparently we are discouraged from pointing this out politely to the culprits, though I can\'t imagine why. Or at least, I can to some extent, cuz I did just that to a well-known member and was flamed rudely for my pains.

Cheers,

John Kinory
[addsig]
Collapse

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:58
English to German
+ ...
Maybe it's only the wrong word.. Dec 22, 2002

\"negative BrowniZ\" sounds like a discreditation or punishment.

I would simply say \"charging BrowniZ\" and if I look at it this way, the idea is not new.

There has always been a system of charging BrowniZ, and this system has to be developed further, by efforts as well as by experience.

So this whole thread can be considered as a branch of the subject: \"What are BrowniZ good for?\" - nothing negative.

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:58
English to German
+ ...
How about a market place for BrowniZ? Dec 29, 2002

Some have them - others could need them.

• It would be nice to have an opportunity to transfer and sell them, for a freely negotiable rate.
  • Another use for BrowniZ could be to accept them as payment for ads at ProZ.
I know, that ProZ would loose some income this way, but on the other hand the value of BrowniZ should be fully appreciated by ProZ.

[ This Message was edited by:on2002-12-29 14:41]

Sanchia Holder
Sanchia Holder  Identity Verified
Trinidad and Tobago
Local time: 19:58
French to English
+ ...
New member seeking information Sep 6, 2012

Hi I am a new to ProZ and I was wondering the same thing about how to spend/use Browniz since my debit is -0(:-?) and just wanted to say how reading the posts in this forum helped a lot.

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
How to use browniz points Sep 6, 2012

Hello Sanchia,

Sanchia Holder wrote:

Hi I am a new to ProZ and I was wondering the same thing about how to spend/use Browniz since my debit is -0(:-?) and just wanted to say how reading the posts in this forum helped a lot.

Information on how browniz points can be used is available here:

http://www.proz.com/faq/4582#4582

Hope it helps!

Lucia

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What are BrowniZ for, anyway? Can they be \"spent\"?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »