Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >
Members are invited to preview a new profile format (beta) - many member-requested updates made
Thread poster: justin C
Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:44
Spanish to English
Where has red availability colour gone? Apr 4, 2006

Hi,

first of all thanks for all the hard work. I like the changes on the whole and think it looks much better.

However, I preferred the red to indicate that I was not available for work and do not like the wishy-washy new purple colour at all. But I suppose this was changed because people complained... I must say that this new feature is one of the best of the new design in my opinion and hopefully my clients will find it useful (and notice that I do not intend to work
... See more
Hi,

first of all thanks for all the hard work. I like the changes on the whole and think it looks much better.

However, I preferred the red to indicate that I was not available for work and do not like the wishy-washy new purple colour at all. But I suppose this was changed because people complained... I must say that this new feature is one of the best of the new design in my opinion and hopefully my clients will find it useful (and notice that I do not intend to work weekends...)

many thanks,

Nikki
Collapse

Sven Petersson
Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 10:44
English to Swedish
+ ...
Dear Gianfranco, Apr 4, 2006

Yes, I know that the "grid" can be collapsed, but that is not what I want (or recommend).

I propose that the top part of the "grid" should be visible at the bottom of the page, encouraging the prospective client to scroll down to see all of it.

The current system is like displaying a headline at the top with a button that, when clicked, displays the body text above the headline. Bad practice! Body text should always be under the headline!

Sven
... See more
Yes, I know that the "grid" can be collapsed, but that is not what I want (or recommend).

I propose that the top part of the "grid" should be visible at the bottom of the page, encouraging the prospective client to scroll down to see all of it.

The current system is like displaying a headline at the top with a button that, when clicked, displays the body text above the headline. Bad practice! Body text should always be under the headline!

Sven.

[Edited at 2006-04-04 10:39]
Collapse

Andres & Leticia Enjuto
Andres & Leticia Enjuto  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks! Apr 4, 2006

Thanks Justin and Gianfranco,

I think that entering my rates is important because, as I read in FAQ : "Specifying a rate range makes it easier for clients to consider working with you ..."

My consern is that if the client only sees the "target" rate, although is not the maximum, he will think it is my only rate.

"FAQ
2. Why should I enter rates?

Benefits of specifying a range of rates:
(1) Specifying a rate range makes it eas
... See more
Thanks Justin and Gianfranco,

I think that entering my rates is important because, as I read in FAQ : "Specifying a rate range makes it easier for clients to consider working with you ..."

My consern is that if the client only sees the "target" rate, although is not the maximum, he will think it is my only rate.

"FAQ
2. Why should I enter rates?

Benefits of specifying a range of rates:
(1) Specifying a rate range makes it easier for clients to consider working with you ...

3. What is the relationship between profile rates and quoting rates?

When entering an offer to complete a posted job, the rate offered must be within the range shown in the profile. Therefore, it is not possible to quote on jobs that are posted with a rate outside of your range (lower than your minimum or higher than your maximum)."

Thanks for the new format. It looks more professional and I like it.

Thanks again

Leticia
Collapse

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Comments/suggestions concerning the Contact tab Apr 4, 2006

The mail contact button should be much more prominent. If the clients are not familiar with the ProZ profile layout, they might not notice the tiny envelope at all. The button should be provided in a separate row in the table.

The website address in the contacts tab is displayed as regular text, not as a link (like in the main tab). I suppose it is a minor bug.

It would be useful to be able to add a custom row in the contacts table, to specify a different form of contac
... See more
The mail contact button should be much more prominent. If the clients are not familiar with the ProZ profile layout, they might not notice the tiny envelope at all. The button should be provided in a separate row in the table.

The website address in the contacts tab is displayed as regular text, not as a link (like in the main tab). I suppose it is a minor bug.

It would be useful to be able to add a custom row in the contacts table, to specify a different form of contact. It would be nice if HTML links could be added there, as well - I would use it to specify my internet communicator link (which is now on my main page).
Collapse

Klaus Herrmann
Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Love it Apr 4, 2006

Great Job, Justin. Thank you.

Peter Bouillon
Peter Bouillon  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
Openly showing minimum rates Apr 4, 2006

Lettytb wrote:
My concern is that if the client only sees the "target" rate, although is not the maximum, he will think it is my only rate.

Not so! If you openly show the minimum rate then each and every potential client will think that this is your only rate, no matter whether you care to name any other rates, too.

Try it out and see for yourself. Or put yourself in an agency's shoes and imagine that you see a minimum rate of x in a translator's profile and also a “target” rate of y. When you offer a job to him/her, will you start negotiations with a rate of x or with a rate of y?

You'll have to negotiate each and every rate "with your back to the wall" from the lowest possible way upwards to the rate you really target…

OTOH, if you only give your target rate, indicating that it is your “target”, then your negotiating partners are bound to say something along the lines of “Would you also consider something slightly lower than that?” In other words, you'll negotiate down from your target rate instead of up from your absolute minimum - that's a lot easier, don't you think?

I emphatically plead for an option to show one's target rate only if one so wishes.
P.

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Incorrect local time Apr 4, 2006

The local time is 2 hours late. It's 3 pm in my country (daylight saving time) and the local time shows 1 pm.

Update: Fixed, I've set the correct time zone. But what about the daylight saving time - will I have to change the time zone every 6 months?

And more bugs:
- The map with the location is shown only on the Profile tab. I think the left column should be the same for all tabs.
- The local time is displayed only in the owner's view, not in the visitor's
... See more
The local time is 2 hours late. It's 3 pm in my country (daylight saving time) and the local time shows 1 pm.

Update: Fixed, I've set the correct time zone. But what about the daylight saving time - will I have to change the time zone every 6 months?

And more bugs:
- The map with the location is shown only on the Profile tab. I think the left column should be the same for all tabs.
- The local time is displayed only in the owner's view, not in the visitor's view.

[Edited at 2006-04-04 13:19]
Collapse

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:44
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Referrals Apr 4, 2006

Just to test it, I entered Andrea Ali as a referral (I hope she doesn't mind!), but this referral is not seen in Visitor's view. Is it OK?

BTW, I do appreciate your effort Justin et all. The design is great.

Regards

Clarisa

Kurt Porter
Kurt Porter  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:44
Russian to English
+ ...
Portfolio Apr 4, 2006

Hi Justin,

One of the translations, actually the Russian orignal is in some kind of weird code...it's number 8 of 8. The rest look fine.

Thanks!

justin C
justin C
United States
Local time: 04:44
English
TOPIC STARTER
Response to questions... Apr 4, 2006

Hi Jabberwock,

It should be possible to have a separate setting to display the full name on the profile.

You may already do this by clicking the 'Contact' tab, then clicking the 'Edit all' button, and selecting your 'Public name' display.

The mail contact button should be much more prominent.

I agree with you here, I will play with it a bit and let you know what I come up with.

Correct. I will fix this ASAP.

It would be useful to be able to add a custom row in the contacts table, to specify a different form of contact. It would be nice if HTML links could be added there, as well - I would use it to specify my internet communicator link (which is now on my main page).

A "custom row" is the first row in the new profile format, using the title "User message". Simply click the edit icon next to "User message", and you may enter free text or html.

Hi Burrell,

I cannot see any rates on my profile at all. Is there a clever trick how to disclose them?

I can see your rates under the 'Expertise' row in your profile.

Hi Nikki,

Where has red availability colour gone?

I replaced the red not available color (some people said the red was too over powering). Any other suggestions for a "softer" color??

Hi Sven,

This method was used intially, but for an outsourcer or user that wants the standardized information (when a user chooses to use the personalized version), they would have to use multiple scrolls of the mouse wheel. As opposed to one click with the new format.

Hi Leticia,

I can understand that, I still plan on implementing an option to show your minimum rate(s) as well

Hi Hynek,

This was an oversight on my part, I'll figure out something to do about DST and let you know in this thread when I have updated the profiles.

And more bugs:
- The local time is displayed only in the owner's view, not in the visitor's view.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Hi Clarisa,

Just to test it, I entered Andrea Ali as a referral (I hope she doesn't mind!), but this referral is not seen in Visitor's view. Is it OK?

You have your referrals section hidden, try clicking the toggle icon ( ) underneath the referrals box in your owner view.

Thank you all for your input!

Best Regards,
Justin

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 05:44
English to Spanish
+ ...
Portfolio Apr 4, 2006

Hi Justin,

This issue hasn`t been fixed yet. You may edit your portfolio, but you still cannot delete it. I placed this questions two times in the older forum ( http://www.proz.com/post/322942#322942 )
You might feel like changing the whole set of samples and inserting new examples, but there is no button for that, as there is in the old design.

Thanks again,
... See more
Hi Justin,

This issue hasn`t been fixed yet. You may edit your portfolio, but you still cannot delete it. I placed this questions two times in the older forum ( http://www.proz.com/post/322942#322942 )
You might feel like changing the whole set of samples and inserting new examples, but there is no button for that, as there is in the old design.

Thanks again,

Walter
Collapse

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Don't use the minimum rate to shoot yourself in the wallet... Apr 4, 2006

Lettytb wrote:

Obviously I ddi not manage to express myself clearly enough... but Peter has understood my idea 100%!!!

Peter Bouillon wrote:

... If you openly show the minimum rate then each and every potential client will think that this is your only rate, no matter whether you care to name any other rates, too.

Try it out and see for yourself. Or put yourself in an agency's shoes and imagine that you see a minimum rate of x in a translator's profile and also a “target” rate of y. When you offer a job to him/her, will you start negotiations with a rate of x or with a rate of y?

You'll have to negotiate each and every rate "with your back to the wall" from the lowest possible way upwards to the rate you really target…

OTOH, if you only give your target rate, indicating that it is your “target”, then your negotiating partners are bound to say something along the lines of “Would you also consider something slightly lower than that?” In other words, you'll negotiate down from your target rate instead of up from your absolute minimum - that's a lot easier, don't you think?

I emphatically plead for an option to show one's target rate only if one so wishes.

Exactly! Our standard rate is the "target" and the minimum has been implemented for totally different reasons. Not to negotiate a rate with customers, but to screen out unwanted job offers posted in the site.
We can work at any rate, including something below the standard, or above, or anywhere around these figures, but what is wrong is to show the minimum rate in the profile. Avoid it, unless that is your real standard and you are willing to work at that rate most of times.

Note that, as you certainly know, you can change the rates in ProZ.com only once every 3 months.

For a number of reason, including that I'm not happy to show minimum and target (as in the old design) I keep the rates hidden in the format provided by ProZ.com, and show an indication of my rates using my own range, in the free text section of my profile.

I have also the additional advantage of being able to espress them in more than one currency, change them whenever I want, and my "range" is not the minimum/maximum, or the minimum/target, but my usual range of working rates.

bye
Gianfranco

[Edited at 2006-08-13 14:37]

Maria Diaconu
Maria Diaconu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 11:44
English to Romanian
Referrals' pictures gone? Apr 4, 2006

First of all, thank you for the improvements, they are great.
However, I am disappointed to see that the referrals' pictures are all gone. Could we have them back, please? I liked the idea very much!

maru77
maru77
Argentina
English to Spanish
Problems with accents on characters and timezone Apr 4, 2006

HI
I was just looking at my profile, but characters which have an accent appear as symbols in, for example, the Education field. However the appear as they should down in the About me / Keywords fields. When I change from Unicode to Western European encoding, this situation reverses, and what appeared as symbols are now the right characters and viceversa. Any suggestion about how to solve this?

My local time is not correct either, it's three hours ahead. Is this something I ca
... See more
HI
I was just looking at my profile, but characters which have an accent appear as symbols in, for example, the Education field. However the appear as they should down in the About me / Keywords fields. When I change from Unicode to Western European encoding, this situation reverses, and what appeared as symbols are now the right characters and viceversa. Any suggestion about how to solve this?

My local time is not correct either, it's three hours ahead. Is this something I can configure or is it a general setup Proz will fix?
Thanks
Mariana
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Members are invited to preview a new profile format (beta) - many member-requested updates made

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »