Do you happen to know a source for sample texts for translation?
Thread poster: Eva Blanar
Eva Blanar
Eva Blanar  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 09:43
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Aug 27, 2002

Do you happen to know a source for sample texts for translation? This autumn, I would like to get an official confirmation about my ability to translate from English and French into my mother tongue and, in preparation for that, I would like to do some training. I\'d be very grateful for any hint: I don\'t necessarily need bilingual versions, I just want to see what examiners are likely to look for. TIA, Eva

CLS Lexi-tech
CLS Lexi-tech
Local time: 03:43
English to Italian
+ ...
Hi Eva Aug 27, 2002

I am developing a battery of tests for our company, but they are very specific to our market/clients and I don\'t know if they would help. Have you ever tried the SDL tests?

good luck

paola l m

OlafK
OlafK
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:43
English to German
+ ...
Try to get past papers Aug 27, 2002

Ask your examining body for past exam papers. Those will give you a rough idea of what you can expect.

Eva Blanar
Eva Blanar  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not much experience with tests Aug 27, 2002

My last language exam was in 1979, so I already forgot everything about exams. (I adored exams, though.) I never heard about SDL tests either, my idea was to find some website from where I could download files with \"mock examinations\", in any language combination (I\'ll just take one of the texts).

It\'s very kind of you to mention you prepare a bunch of such papers - it must be hell of a work, I know -, but I really only need some impersonal source, to use my spare time
... See more
My last language exam was in 1979, so I already forgot everything about exams. (I adored exams, though.) I never heard about SDL tests either, my idea was to find some website from where I could download files with \"mock examinations\", in any language combination (I\'ll just take one of the texts).

It\'s very kind of you to mention you prepare a bunch of such papers - it must be hell of a work, I know -, but I really only need some impersonal source, to use my spare time better. Thanks Paola!
Collapse

Alexandru Pojoga
Alexandru Pojoga
Romania
Local time: 10:43
Japanese to English
+ ...
SDL tests Aug 28, 2002

What are those? Does anyone have a link to those on the web?

kbamert
kbamert  Identity Verified
French to German
+ ...
SDL tests - What are those? Sep 1, 2002

Hello Alexandru

Just a guess:

http://www.libsdl.org/index.php

Regards

Kurt

OlafK
OlafK
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:43
English to German
+ ...
Sorry Eva Sep 2, 2002

I was under the impression that you were going to sit exams. What kind of confirmation are you after then?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you happen to know a source for sample texts for translation?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »