IS \"MY GERIATRIC BRAIN\" BETTER THAN A GOOGLE SUBSTANTIATION?
Thread poster: DR. RICHARD BAVRY (X)
DR. RICHARD BAVRY (X)
DR. RICHARD BAVRY (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 9, 2001

Or should that be chalked up as a \"Sven\"gali-esque approach?

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 22:47
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
The right of being "gali-esque" Nov 9, 2001

The question of whether \"my geriatric brain\" is a proof of the absolute truth has to be judged by the asker/reader - like with all references.

I sometimes offer \"13 years in Germany\" as my reference. This might not convince some (\"13 years in Germany do not make you an

expert\") but in some cases it\'s the source of my knowledge and what I can say without starting a time consuming research.

As with any reference, the asker is the judge and s/he has to evaluate
... See more
The question of whether \"my geriatric brain\" is a proof of the absolute truth has to be judged by the asker/reader - like with all references.

I sometimes offer \"13 years in Germany\" as my reference. This might not convince some (\"13 years in Germany do not make you an

expert\") but in some cases it\'s the source of my knowledge and what I can say without starting a time consuming research.

As with any reference, the asker is the judge and s/he has to evaluate the answer according to the function

PA = QE * CR * AR * NA

PA = Probability of accepting an answer

QE = Quality of Explanation

CR = Credibility of Reference

AR = Answerer\'s Record

NA = Number of \'Agree\'s

In the Swedish community, IF the asker knows me and the answer is simple and IF I believe the asker can judge the answer solely on its own merits, I sometimes use \"YKW\" (You Know Who) as reference

One answerer constantly uses his own URL as a reference, which I find a bit cheeky

BUT:

Every reference is permissible - for what it\'s worth

Mats

Collapse

DR. RICHARD BAVRY (X)
DR. RICHARD BAVRY (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nov 9, 2001

Quote:

On 2001-11-09 19:30, MatsWiman wrote:

expert\") but in some cases it\'s the source of my knowledge and what I can say without startin... See more
Quote:

On 2001-11-09 19:30, MatsWiman wrote:

As with any reference, the asker is the judge and s/he has to evaluate the answer according to the function

PA = QE * CR * AR * NA

PA = Probability of accepting an answer

QE = Quality of Explanation

CR = Credibility of Reference

AR = Answerer\'s Record

NA = Number of \'Agree\'s

In the Swedish community, IF the asker knows me and the answer is simple and IF I believe the asker can judge the answer solely on its own merits, I sometimes use \"YKW\" (You Know Who) as reference

One answerer constantly uses his own URL as a reference, which I find a bit cheeky

BUT:

Every reference is permissible - for what it\'s worth

Mats

Oh Mats, didn\'t you realize I was just poking fun at good old Sven and his lovable tagline reference! ▲ Collapse

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 22:47
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
Fun-poking Nov 10, 2001

Dear Richard,

No I did not.

The question has been put by others: \"Why does he consistently refer to MGB?\"

My answer really meant to counter all objections to various references.

Mats

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

IS \"MY GERIATRIC BRAIN\" BETTER THAN A GOOGLE SUBSTANTIATION?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »