Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15]
Let's improve ProZ.com! (Three things I would do to improve ProZ.com if I were in charge.)
Thread poster: Henry Dotterer
Dyran Altenburg (X)
Dyran Altenburg (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
3 Things Oct 16, 2006

1) Get rid of krudoz points (once the race for points is over, the quality of answers will improve).

2) Get rid of job offers (allow contact only through search funcions). Clearly identify outsourcers (big and small).

3) Get rid of staff/moderators who are more a hindrance than an asset. Consider paying moderators (either in kind or with money) to assure accountability.

--
Dyran

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Getting ready to post a jobs plan... please ask for clarification where required Jan 12, 2007

Hi all,

Thanks for your patience as we wrote up our first plan. Happy New Year!

In the end, it took quite a while longer than I expected to do it. As we reviewed the suggestions, it became apparent that even experienced members were not necessarily familiar with all aspects of the current site--let alone our plans for the future. As an example, in several cases, features have been suggested that already exist. In other cases, features have been suggested that have been
... See more
Hi all,

Thanks for your patience as we wrote up our first plan. Happy New Year!

In the end, it took quite a while longer than I expected to do it. As we reviewed the suggestions, it became apparent that even experienced members were not necessarily familiar with all aspects of the current site--let alone our plans for the future. As an example, in several cases, features have been suggested that already exist. In other cases, features have been suggested that have been previously discussed and decided against.

In light of this, I felt that a plan would be incomplete for the purposes of a community-wide discussion if it did not also provide the necessary background for actions planned, including a description of the existing conditions of features, as well as some discussion on the principles and philosophies according to which we operate.

So the first plan, the topic of which is client-translator "matching" (ie. directory and jobs), winds up being a rather substantial document. I don't expect everyone to read it all, so we added clickable headings so that you can jump to the areas that interest you most.

A disclaimer: Ironically, for all the time we spent on it, I have to admit that this plan is still somewhat rough. In some cases, it will be necessary to rewrite for the sake of clarification. For this reason, I ask that you not hesitate to post your reactions or requests for clarification. It will help us to improve the document.

Of course we will also be interested in your suggestions. But before we start accepting new ones, I would like to ask you to wait until we make a post we have prepared in which we will respond to each suggestion made in this thread related to client-translator matching.

In other words, Enrique and I will now make two posts. The first will be a link to the "matching" plan, and the second will be a suggestion-by-suggestion response to those who have posted here.

We'll post the plan first, address any requests for clarification, and then respond to suggestions next week.

Again, I ask that for now you not make any further suggestions, but simply use this phase to ask for clarification on the plan we are about to post.

Thank you in advance.
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Please see the first published plan Jan 13, 2007

Here it is:

ProZ.com overview and action plan (#1 of 8): Sourcing (ie. jobs / directory)
http://www.proz.com/doc/956

We will appreciate any requests for clarification before posting this in a new thread for those who were not part of this thread.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Please observe the posting rules for this thread Jan 13, 2007

Hi all,

We invite you to submit feedback on the plan in just one or two posts of 250 words or less. (Sorry, but this is the only way we can manage to process input carefully from hundreds of members.)

Thank you in advance.

Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:13
English to Spanish
+ ...

As someone who recently "complained" a bit ( http://www.proz.com/topic/57466?start=15&float= ) about the delay in presenting your improvement plans, I want to start by saying thanks for finally presenting the first plan. I hope the rest are presented as promptly and thoroughly.

Even though your job plan is very long, I have read all of it and I basically have the following com
... See more
As someone who recently "complained" a bit ( http://www.proz.com/topic/57466?start=15&float= ) about the delay in presenting your improvement plans, I want to start by saying thanks for finally presenting the first plan. I hope the rest are presented as promptly and thoroughly.

Even though your job plan is very long, I have read all of it and I basically have the following comments:

1) It is mostly a clarification of what Proz.com has offered to date in terms of facilitating potential work relationships between Proz.com members/users and outsourcers, so this part is not really "an improvement", but I agree that it could be considered an improvement on how to understand the site job objectives better.

2) Regarding Project Connect, which for me is really the "improvement" and the "novelty" (even though it already started last year), it sounds promising and full of possibilities, but, as you yourself acknowledged, only time will tell if it becomes a success.

So far I have personally received only one "premium" notification, but I hope to receive more in the near future, even though such offers are not totally "crucial" in my case (but I am always interested in establishing new potential/interesting work contacts).

What I also find positive in this respect is that you started the "profile updater" campaign as part of this iniative, and I am satisfied that we have the choice not to complete certain fields of the profile for it to still be considered "complete" and thus eligible for "premium jobs".

So far the only criticism I have is:

a) I would have preferred a Home page announcement about this plan, so that more users/members notice it.
b) There should be a wider word limit in our feedback if, as you yourself must have realized in the job plan, it is not always easy to summarize all our ideas.

Good night,

Ivette
Collapse

Péter Tófalvi
Péter Tófalvi  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 09:13
English to Hungarian
+ ...
escrow payment - YES! Dec 24, 2007

Ziadm wrote:

I am really surprised that no one mentioned this, but in my own humble opinion if this site had an escrow payments system it would have prevented many payment problems! how many of you didn't get paid for a translation job? how many agencies still owe you money? I believe the answer is many!
So my suggestion is to create an escrow payment system for all translation jobs, it can be free for paying members and you can also charge a small percentage for non-paying members, how about that?
Thanks.

Oops!

I just sent an e-mail to the Proz.com staff suggesting them to introduce this payment system, then made a search for the term.

I definitely agree with you, Ziadm.

Péter.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Let's improve ProZ.com! (Three things I would do to improve ProZ.com if I were in charge.)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »