Rebecca Hendry
Rebecca Hendry  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:01
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
My vote is for number 4 Sep 19, 2006

I also have a feline office assistant but don't particularly like the cat images.

I like numbers 3 and 4. The binoculars are particularly eyecatching and they work well as an image representing a search for somebody. And because binoculars allow you to see things at a distance, they suggest a global search, without barriers. The picture gives me a sense of forward-thinking and ambition.

Having said all that, what on earth are we advertising anyway?

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:01
French to English
I thought it was a robot! Sep 19, 2006

Rebecca Hendry wrote:

The binoculars are particularly eyecatching and they work well as an image representing a search for somebody.

Indeed, I nearly said something along the lines of "I quite like the pic with the weird robot". Glad I didn't, otherwise I'd look foolish in public.....

Pamela Peralta
Pamela Peralta  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 21:01
English to Spanish
+ ...
four Sep 20, 2006

I like #4.
Cats just don't do it for me.

Pam

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 05:01
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Why not Sep 20, 2006

use a "Uncle Sam" version of Henry and the text "I want your money"?
Just kidding
I could send you better cats though. Oh, are the cats a reference to CATs? Now I get it. But CATs are TET nowadays, Translations Environment Tools. So you better use an image of a Vietcong fighter from Hue 1968.

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:31
German to English
Armed forces campaign Sep 20, 2006

"We're looking for you" sounds like you're recruiting people for the army. I don't think it's appropriate for a translators' website, but I can't think of anything suitable myself.

[Edited at 2006-09-20 04:44]

LJC (X)
LJC (X)
France
Local time: 04:01
French to English
+ ...
You're not alone Sep 20, 2006

Charlie Bavington wrote:

Rebecca Hendry wrote:

The binoculars are particularly eyecatching and they work well as an image representing a search for somebody.

Indeed, I nearly said something along the lines of "I quite like the pic with the weird robot". Glad I didn't, otherwise I'd look foolish in public.....

I hadn't a clue what it was either - just thought it was something weird staring at me threateningly.

Michele Johnson
Michele Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Humor is most effective IMO Sep 20, 2006

My reactions:

1) I think humor in advertising often works very well, so I like the cats the best. I realize however that the first two pictures might not come across to all target audiences.

2) Maybe it's just me, but I am so inundated with and sick of that touchy-feely, new-age, "wellness"/relaxation/health advertising, the kind of cr*p that takes itself so seriously. The guy sitting on the cliff and the lady on the beach just rub me the wrong way (as does the sungla
... See more
My reactions:

1) I think humor in advertising often works very well, so I like the cats the best. I realize however that the first two pictures might not come across to all target audiences.

2) Maybe it's just me, but I am so inundated with and sick of that touchy-feely, new-age, "wellness"/relaxation/health advertising, the kind of cr*p that takes itself so seriously. The guy sitting on the cliff and the lady on the beach just rub me the wrong way (as does the sunglassed model in white used to advertise SDL group buys). What does this have to do with translation? It certainly doesn't fit with the current site design.

3) Other suggestions: A bloodhound with big droopy eyes? An owl with glasses? A black-and-white, retro-style pic of someone looking through a submarine periscope? Some kind of frog or reptile with big gigantic eyes, i.e. a humorous, animal-based ad that is not culture-specific? A Sherlock Holmes or Nancy Drew theme?

- Michele
Collapse

NMR (X)
NMR (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Photographs are fine Sep 21, 2006

A bit too static, too much "holidays". But I don't like the message: "WE are looking for you - to improve YOUR business". What does this mean? It doesn't seem logical. As a marketing translator, I learned not to mix up two messages, and the subject of the first part should also be the subject of the second part. For me it should be either, for instance: "we are looking for you - we want to to become a big site (or whatever)", or "if you want to improve your business, you should have a look here"... See more
A bit too static, too much "holidays". But I don't like the message: "WE are looking for you - to improve YOUR business". What does this mean? It doesn't seem logical. As a marketing translator, I learned not to mix up two messages, and the subject of the first part should also be the subject of the second part. For me it should be either, for instance: "we are looking for you - we want to to become a big site (or whatever)", or "if you want to improve your business, you should have a look here" or, shorter, "boost your business, have a look (or click) here".
And change photographs to something more business-related.

[Edited at 2006-09-21 12:35]
Collapse

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Asking for input is a great idea Sep 21, 2006

Hi Dwayne,

I love your initiative. Marketing us after consulting us is a great idea. I'm afraid your thread will move into oblivion now, so I'll recap what I found most valuable in this thread.

Balasubramaniam raised a very important point. An ad for a global site for translators shouldn't offend, baffle or confuse anyone, anywhere. We should set an example for ads reaching a global audience.

NMR took the words right out of my mouth when she complained abou
... See more
Hi Dwayne,

I love your initiative. Marketing us after consulting us is a great idea. I'm afraid your thread will move into oblivion now, so I'll recap what I found most valuable in this thread.

Balasubramaniam raised a very important point. An ad for a global site for translators shouldn't offend, baffle or confuse anyone, anywhere. We should set an example for ads reaching a global audience.

NMR took the words right out of my mouth when she complained about the flawed logic in the grammar. If the copy stays in English and will be targeted at a global audience, I would adapt it, even it's perfectly understandable to native speakers.

My first reaction to Michele Johnson's suggestion to use an owl with glasses was: Yeah, that's what they all do. I googled a bit and discovered to my surprise that the image is not widely used. Now I'm all in favour of an owl with big horn glasses, preferably reading a big book. I hope Balasubramaniam and other non-Occidental ProZians are still tuned in to confirm that an owl is a global image for wisdom.

Regards,
Gerard
Collapse

Refugio
Refugio
Local time: 19:01
Spanish to English
+ ...
Re: owls Sep 22, 2006

Gerard de Noord wrote:

Now I'm all in favour of an owl with big horn glasses, preferably reading a big book. I hope Balasubramaniam and other non-Occidental ProZians are still tuned in to confirm that an owl is a global image for wisdom.

Regards,
Gerard

In Mexico and parts of the United States, an owl is a symbol of death. Cuando canta el tecolote, muere el indio.

Derek Gill Franßen
Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Animals, people, and robots... Sep 23, 2006

I would avoid using any animals, especially those wearing human accessories: They are cute, but not serious (IMHO).

I think the binoculars might be a bit obscure and, at most, appealing for technical fields.

I like the images with the people best, whereby the cliff scene also reminds me of yoga (as was mentioned above).

When I think of translation services, I think of words, communication, and culture.

What is it that we deal with? Words.
... See more
I would avoid using any animals, especially those wearing human accessories: They are cute, but not serious (IMHO).

I think the binoculars might be a bit obscure and, at most, appealing for technical fields.

I like the images with the people best, whereby the cliff scene also reminds me of yoga (as was mentioned above).

When I think of translation services, I think of words, communication, and culture.

What is it that we deal with? Words.
What service do we offer? Communication.
What sets us apart? Culture.
What brings us together? Communication.
What, ultimately, is our product? Words.

I imagine it must be difficult to graphically portray a product as abstract as ours. However, it might be precisely the abstractness that could lend itself well to an advertising campaign: A more abstract background integrating abstract objects, such as words, symbols, and foreign letters may work well (across the globe).

Good luck!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Input on new ProZ.com campaign

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »