\'Accepted\' bids: are some agencies just building databases? Is that OK?
Thread poster: Rick Henry
Rick Henry
Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:26
Italian to English
+ ...
Nov 16, 2001

Hi all. I\'m not sure if this is the appropriate place to post this, but...

On 11/11 there was a project I bid on. I very quickly got a \"Congratulations\" email saying my bid was accepted. I then got an email from the project poster asking for my CV, availability, etc. I furnished what was asked, and have yet to hear back. I have sent follow up emails and gotten no response. I\'d like to give the benefit of the doubt to the project poster, but I have this nagging suspicion that
... See more
Hi all. I\'m not sure if this is the appropriate place to post this, but...

On 11/11 there was a project I bid on. I very quickly got a \"Congratulations\" email saying my bid was accepted. I then got an email from the project poster asking for my CV, availability, etc. I furnished what was asked, and have yet to hear back. I have sent follow up emails and gotten no response. I\'d like to give the benefit of the doubt to the project poster, but I have this nagging suspicion that it was an agency trolling for more translators. I don\'t really have a problem with that, as long as that\'s stated up front. So I guess my question is: Is this sort of posting allowed?

R.

==
Collapse

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 21:26
German to English
+ ...
I know what you mean Nov 16, 2001

This ties in with one of my \"15 rules for dealing with agencies\": some agencies want to build databases on the cheap (and, perhaps, get some information on your clients so that they can solicit them for work).

My tip for ProZ bids: each time I bid, and if the agency does not provide any background information in the bid text, I ask them to provide such informat
... See more
This ties in with one of my \"15 rules for dealing with agencies\": some agencies want to build databases on the cheap (and, perhaps, get some information on your clients so that they can solicit them for work).

My tip for ProZ bids: each time I bid, and if the agency does not provide any background information in the bid text, I ask them to provide such information. If they never respond (or quickly close the job posting), you\'ll know that your hunch was right.

So, never send out your CV and references unless you have all the information first.
Collapse

Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Local time: 06:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
Anything can happen Nov 16, 2001

Job posters are not required to give their full address and e- mail.This is probably done to protect their identity.

So, you can expect anything to happen to your quote or a messagge of congratulations may not have any meaning.

Will it affect PROZ.COM credibility?

Now, there are Powws being held....in every country. It makes lot of business sense. More and more translators will gather under PROZ.COM.

But what about the interest of translators? What about f
... See more
Job posters are not required to give their full address and e- mail.This is probably done to protect their identity.

So, you can expect anything to happen to your quote or a messagge of congratulations may not have any meaning.

Will it affect PROZ.COM credibility?

Now, there are Powws being held....in every country. It makes lot of business sense. More and more translators will gather under PROZ.COM.

But what about the interest of translators? What about falling rates? Obviously,if you bring thousands of translators under one auctioning roof, the rates are bound to tumble.

Collapse

Rafael Porlan
Rafael Porlan
Spain
Local time: 03:26
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Somebody hit the bull's eye at last! Nov 18, 2001

I completely agree with what Telesforo conveys within his message. Of course it was a good idea to put translators and companies in contact, but when I was able to see the bids some colleagues were making, even if I could see what the cost of living might be in their respective countries, my respect for my own profession suffered a hard blow... I\'m sorry, but I have even seen profiles from people trying to convince customers they can decently translate from and into 10 languages! I believe this... See more
I completely agree with what Telesforo conveys within his message. Of course it was a good idea to put translators and companies in contact, but when I was able to see the bids some colleagues were making, even if I could see what the cost of living might be in their respective countries, my respect for my own profession suffered a hard blow... I\'m sorry, but I have even seen profiles from people trying to convince customers they can decently translate from and into 10 languages! I believe this site could stand out as a magnificent place for us to dignify our profession, and not as some place for us to dig the ground underneath each other, and I\'m sure that was never the will the founders had in their minds. Those of us who have been in business for some time, know how difficult it is to build linguistic skills first into your own language, then into a foreign language, so let alone what the process amounts to when you try to add up some additional skills... Please let\'s do something about that...Collapse

Ian Ferguson
Ian Ferguson
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:26
Spanish to English
What's wrong with agencies building databases? Nov 23, 2001

Speaking as a beginner trying to get established, if an agency is building a database, I want to be on it! I agree, though, that they should state clearly that this is what they are doing, and not post it as if it were a specific job.

Rick Henry
Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:26
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re: What's wrong with agencies building databases? Nov 23, 2001

Nothing is wrong with building up an agengy\'s database, per se. What *is* patently wrong is to present this on a job posting system as a legitimate job. This is what I was referring to, and, in fact, is what has been done.

R.

==

Quote:

On 2001-11-23 07:51, IanF wrote:

Speaking as a beginner trying to get established, if an agency is building a database, I want to be on it! I agree, though... See more
Nothing is wrong with building up an agengy\'s database, per se. What *is* patently wrong is to present this on a job posting system as a legitimate job. This is what I was referring to, and, in fact, is what has been done.

R.

==

Quote:

On 2001-11-23 07:51, IanF wrote:

Speaking as a beginner trying to get established, if an agency is building a database, I want to be on it! I agree, though, that they should state clearly that this is what they are doing, and not post it as if it were a specific job.

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

\'Accepted\' bids: are some agencies just building databases? Is that OK?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »