JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 10:50
Spanish to English
+ ...
Plagiariser, plagiarizer, plagiarist are all correct! Nov 4, 2006

Marie-Helene Hayles wrote:

JaneTranslates wrote:

BTW, several of you have taught me something today. I thought the (only) proper form was "plagiarist," but I find that "plagiarizer" is also correct. Is there a difference?

no, you're right - it should be plagiarist, but it's Saturday evening and I'm on the wrong (or right!) side of the best part of a rather nice bottle of Italian wine... forgive me

[Edited at 2006-11-04 22:20]

If anyone needs forgiveness, it's surely me, for not making my meaning clear! I looked it up, in Webster's 11th New Collegiate Dictionary (nearest thing we have in English to a Royal Academy), and found that all three are correct. What the dictionary didn't tell me is whether there is any reason, in usage, to choose one over the other (given that plagiariser/plagiarizer are UK & US spellings of the same word).

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:50
Italian to English
+ ...
I think plagiariser/plagiarizer are just logical but ignorant "nounifications" of plagiarise/ize" Nov 4, 2006

such as happens to non-natives naturally, uneducated native speakers, or educated natives when we're too (ahem) tired and emotional to think in our native language!

Potential clients please note: I never drink when working

[Edited at 2006-11-04 22:37]

[Edited at 2006-11-04 22:40]

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
a definite case of plagiarism Nov 4, 2006

Rebecca Hendry wrote:

... I noticed that it was strikingly similar to my own - clearly my html source code had been copied and pasted into this user's profile. Key words had been changed, but the structure of the profile and a number of sentences have remained exactly the same. Anyone comparing the two profiles would think they had been written by the same person.

Becky.

PLAGIARISM

"taking over the ideas, methods, or written words of another, without acknowledgment and with the intention that they be taken as the work of the deceiver." American Association of University Professors (September/October, 1989).

Read more and even do a few exercises in avoiding plagiarism at:

http://facpub.stjohns.edu/~roigm/plagiarism/Plagiarism.html

Some extracts:

Guideline 2: Any verbatim text taken from another author must be enclosed in quotation marks.

Guideline 3: We must always acknowledge every source that we use in our writing; whether we paraphrase it, summarize it, or enclose it quotations.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Take it in stride, I say Nov 5, 2006

Rebecca Hendry wrote:
How would you feel if you discovered this? Flattered? Annoyed? Would you contact the person in question? Report them?

Copying a layout is flattery. Copying HTML code wholescale is intellectual property theft. But what can you do? I say, take it in stride, and *improve* your profile so that it is even better than the other guy's.

As for keywords and stuff, remember that your ranking in search engines are affected by the actual words on the page and not the layout. So even if someone copied your layout, but your keywords are better, then you're the winner.

I recently discovered that one of the younger translators appointed in the company I worked for had found my curriculum vitae on the web and used the same layout (which is a rather unconventional layout) when he applied for the job. He tell me for quite a few months even though we sit not 3 meters from each other, but in the end I guess I was flattered.

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:50
French to English
+ ...
plagiariser, plagiarist Nov 6, 2006

BTW, several of you have taught me something today. I thought the (only) proper form was "plagiarist," but I find that "plagiarizer" is also correct. Is there a difference?

I hadn't even noticed I'd used 'plagiariser' and it didn't seem strange to me at the time - but the more usual word is definitely 'plagiarist'. And I don't have Marie-Helene's excuse!

This is my completely spurious attempt to justify my usage after the fact:

1. this person has plagiarised Rebecca's work, so he is her plagiariser
2. someone else plagiarises other people's work systematically, so he is a plagiarist. The distinction lies in whether the case is particular or general.

Perhaps it will catch on??? I see from online dictionaries that plagiarist and plagiariser (I use the UK spelling) are considered to be interchangeable, but perhaps it's time to introduce some nuance here.

TRANZsmart
TRANZsmart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
It was me.... Nov 16, 2006

Dear Proz forum users,

I would publicly like to comment that I am (as some of you are already aware) the 'plagiariser, plagiarizer, plagiarist' in question.

On absorbing your comments and advice Rebecca contacted me with her concerns, to which I reacted within minutes to change the offending material. I apologised to Rebecca, she thanked me for my understanding and we parted on good terms.

I would like to make it clear that I do not have the intentions of a
... See more
Dear Proz forum users,

I would publicly like to comment that I am (as some of you are already aware) the 'plagiariser, plagiarizer, plagiarist' in question.

On absorbing your comments and advice Rebecca contacted me with her concerns, to which I reacted within minutes to change the offending material. I apologised to Rebecca, she thanked me for my understanding and we parted on good terms.

I would like to make it clear that I do not have the intentions of a fraudster or identity theif and did not, nor ever would, dream of copying personal data, keywords, project history, CV's etc. I used Rebecca's format as it was one of the first profiles that I saw on the proz website that I found clear and easy to the eye. I did copy some phrases from her introduction but subsequent to her email have changed the content - to which she said that she was happy. I would also like to point out that, as I enter my third month as a site user, our profiles grow more distinct from each other.

I was made aware of this forum last night through a series of increasingly rude and malicious personal email attacks from another proz member, so am taking this as my first possible opportunity to apologise and explain myself not only to Rebecca, but to all of you for your concerns.

I would gladly accept any constructive criticism from you all. I would also like to point out my greater concern is for the bully (who interestingly hasn't appeared in this chat) that spent his time attacking me yesterday. I reported him to the site staff and informed him of what I had done to which his response was that there is nothing I could do about him as he wrote to me through my personal email rather than the proz site. Maybe this is an issue that should should be addressed?

I have subsequently contacted Rebecca to ask her again if she is satisfied with my changes to my profile and reassured her that she will recieve an equally prompt and understanding response should she have further concerns.

My apologies again to all.
Collapse

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 10:50
Spanish to English
+ ...
You did the right thing. Nov 16, 2006

Henry, it sounds to me like you have responded in exactly the right way, and the "bully" you mention should be reprimanded. I hope you kept copies of the emails, in case site staff asks what was written? If that person found your personal email address through other means, it may be true that nothing can be done; but I want you to know that the vast, vast majority of us ProZers repudiate that sort of tactic!

By the way, as you can see from the forum,I checked out several profiles th
... See more
Henry, it sounds to me like you have responded in exactly the right way, and the "bully" you mention should be reprimanded. I hope you kept copies of the emails, in case site staff asks what was written? If that person found your personal email address through other means, it may be true that nothing can be done; but I want you to know that the vast, vast majority of us ProZers repudiate that sort of tactic!

By the way, as you can see from the forum,I checked out several profiles that showed similarities to Rebecca's or Cindy's. Yours was one of them, but it was not one of the most obvious. If I recall correctly, you did not lift entire paragraphs as several others did. And you've corrected that now.

So, welcome to the site, and don't let your first experience give you a bad taste! You made a mistake; you corrected it; let's go on from here!

Jane
Collapse

TRANZsmart
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thank you Nov 16, 2006

Thank you very much for your understanding Jane. I hope that others feel the same way that you do.

My general experience of Proz to date has been fantastic - it's an extremely friendly and helpful exchange that I hope I will continue to find use for.

Henry

NB. the nasty emails were saved and forwarded along to the site staff for their consideration. Im waiting for a response from them.

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Hi Henry Nov 16, 2006

I can only echo what Jane says above. Not everyone would have the courage to have your honesty and openness in dealing with this. I find your behavior not only commendable, but exemplary, indeed. And now, let's move on...

Welcome to Proz.com!

Best of luck,
Özden

PS Nice profile, by the way

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 11:50
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hi there, 'plagerist'. Nov 16, 2006

Hi Henry,

You made a mistake. It`s nice of you to recognize it and apologize.

You did something you shouldn`t have done in the first place. Hope you learned this lesson and will not do something alike in any other site at any time in the future.

However, since you included information that was not valid or your own in your old profile, doubt persists on the current one. I am being honest with you.

You should now give time to time to forget b
... See more
Hi Henry,

You made a mistake. It`s nice of you to recognize it and apologize.

You did something you shouldn`t have done in the first place. Hope you learned this lesson and will not do something alike in any other site at any time in the future.

However, since you included information that was not valid or your own in your old profile, doubt persists on the current one. I am being honest with you.

You should now give time to time to forget bad memories. Time will help you gain confidence back from colleagues.

Sorry if this bothers you, but you asked me to rejoin this thread. You are just starting your career and apologizing is a good thing, though. Maybe you were not aware you were doing something wrong. Let`s give you credit for that.

Apologies accepted. And very welcome to Proz.
Collapse

TRANZsmart
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanks for your comments Walter Nov 16, 2006

All I can do to assure you of the validity of my profile is to promise you that the information contained within is true and honest of my own history and experience - I do not see the point or gain in trying to pass oneself off as someone else. It was some of the wording & structure that I took from Rebecca and not her identity as a person or translator.

I hope that in the future you will come to realise this and that we can carry on on good terms.

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 11:50
English to Spanish
+ ...
Me 2 Nov 16, 2006

Henry Barfoot-Saunt wrote:

All I can do to assure you of the validity of my profile is to promise you that the information contained within is true and honest of my own history and experience - I do not see the point or gain in trying to pass oneself off as someone else. It was some of the wording & structure that I took from Rebecca and not her identity as a person or translator.

I hope that in the future you will come to realise this and that we can carry on on good terms.

I do hope so too.

Best,

Walter

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Thank you Henry Nov 16, 2006

Well done for having the courage to own up to your error and personally contact those who'd commented on this thread - we all make mistakes, not all of us are willing or able to admit to them and learn from them.

Like everyone else, I disown myself from whoever has been making malicious personal attacks on you and hope that you are able to resolve this problem.

Marie-Hélène

TRANZsmart
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanks Marie-Hélène Nov 16, 2006

Thank you for your support Marie-Hélène.

Henry

tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
to Henry / an update Nov 17, 2006

Henry, I think it was courageous of you to “come clean” in this public forum, and I also appreciate the message you sent alerting me of your initial post here. Like the others who have commented, I think the nasty e-mails you received (from someone who has chosen to express his opinions strictly in private—now there's courage for you!) are totally uncalled for. I hope something can be done about them (and their sender as well, of course).

If anyone’s wondering what happened
... See more
Henry, I think it was courageous of you to “come clean” in this public forum, and I also appreciate the message you sent alerting me of your initial post here. Like the others who have commented, I think the nasty e-mails you received (from someone who has chosen to express his opinions strictly in private—now there's courage for you!) are totally uncalled for. I hope something can be done about them (and their sender as well, of course).

If anyone’s wondering what happened in my case (my profile was copied by three different individuals), the results have been mixed. One person immediately removed the copied text, but never even acknowledged my e-mail; the second also changed her profile and sent a brief note of apology; while the third (most of whose profile consists of what was copied from mine) has done exactly nothing. (Guess I’ll have to keep working on that one.)
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Copying" other user profiles

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »