Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:08
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Oct 26, 2002

I have noticed today that one of the job postings (19 lyrics from Japanese to English) is posted for PUBLIC bidding. That means, when you click on the \"Submit Bid\" button, you can see all the other bids, including the bidder\'s name, link to the profile page, and the entire content of the bid. Price, daily capacity and included message as well.

As I have never seen this before, I was quite shocked to see my collegues\' bids appearing on my screen. (Not because of WHAT I saw, but the
... See more
I have noticed today that one of the job postings (19 lyrics from Japanese to English) is posted for PUBLIC bidding. That means, when you click on the \"Submit Bid\" button, you can see all the other bids, including the bidder\'s name, link to the profile page, and the entire content of the bid. Price, daily capacity and included message as well.

As I have never seen this before, I was quite shocked to see my collegues\' bids appearing on my screen. (Not because of WHAT I saw, but the fact that I CAN SEE it.)

There is a blue notice in small font at the bottom of the page telling you about the public bidding, so I assume those posted a bid probably knew about the publicity. (But maybe not.)

Just to check, I went to the \"Post a job\" page, and on that page you CANNOT select open bid or public bid for your posting, all you can choose is closed bidding.

So, I am confused and wondering how this job posting got the public bidding status? Is it a technical glitch or some kind of experiment, or is it something new that I should be aware of?

Thanks for your attention

Katalin
Collapse

Gayle Wallimann
Gayle Wallimann  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:08
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Oh no, is it coming back? Oct 26, 2002

Public bidding used to be the only way that we could bid on ProZ. I hope that it\'s not coming back, it turns bidding into a real contest! :-| I hope that it\'s just some strange error that can be repaired.

Bryan Crumpler
Bryan Crumpler  Identity Verified
United States
Dutch to English
+ ...
It's at the discretion of the Outsourcer Oct 26, 2002

I just translated some parts of the TOS for outsourcing and posting freelance jobs on the site a while back, and the TOS says that the person doing the outsourcing has the option of making the bidding public or private. I presume that up to this point, all of the people posting jobs have been making the bidding private. That\'s all that is...

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:08
English to German
+ ...
Submit a Support Request Oct 26, 2002

...stating the job ID/URL; this is bound to be an error.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
It is not coming back Oct 26, 2002

Are you sure the job was not an old one? I will look for the one you cite.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Found it, fixed it Oct 26, 2002

Sure enough, it was public and it was recent. Looks like the job poster somehow arrived at an old version of the job posting form and was able to specify public bidding.

Thanks for bringing this up Katalin!

Henry

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Open (public) bidding - since when???

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »