Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Project Connect update (part 4): Milestone for charter program reached (+ press coverage received)
Thread poster: Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 06:06
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Posts can be edited for 24 hours Dec 18, 2006

Cilian O'Tuama wrote:

I tried to delete my above interjection, as it has probably already served any purpose it ever will, but this doesn't seem to be possible 24 hours laters...

Right. 24 hours to edit.

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:06
German to English
+ ...
erm, slightly misunderstood Dec 18, 2006

Good point. I'll think about that one. You should have a chance at the prizes.

I'm not interested in your prizes, Henry, I just wanted to see how easy it was to "complete" a profile without giving away too much privacy.

That's the idea! Thanks for helping...

Glad I helped - wasn't really my intention at the time

I'd just like to see the level of professionalism rising around here.

You seem more interested in quantity.

Cilian

P.S. Feel free to delete my postings (I tried to delete the first one myself but couldn't). Seriously.

BelkisDV
BelkisDV  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
That comment or rule was there. Dec 19, 2006

ICL wrote:

The reason I ask is because I had made a comment along the same lines of writeaway's in another recent thread ( http://www.proz.com/topic/61016?start=15&float= ) and Enrique said/answered:

"If you choose not to complete the required fields you will not qualify for premium jobs, and you could also be excluded from some normal directory jobs if the outsourcer filters using a field you did not complete."

Regards,

Ivette

[Edited at 2006-12-15 13:22]

Hello Ivette,

I read the same thing on the Profile Updater and I submitted a Support Ticket about it, so it WAS there before. As far as I know you didn't misunderstand anything, it was there and I was annoyed at the fact that if you didn't want to give out private information you would be excluded from premium job bids and that uncertain directory that was mentioned. And I'm not igniting any fires here.

Belkis

[Edited at 2006-12-19 05:20]

BelkisDV
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Well said. Dec 19, 2006

[quote]Cilian O'Tuama wrote:

Cilian

P.S. Feel free to delete my postings (I tried to delete the first one myself but couldn't). Seriously.

DITTO.

BelkisDV
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
What is the URL Henry? Dec 19, 2006

Henry wrote:

Dear Members,

This is the latest update.

The industry is taking note

Project Connect has not gone unnoticed by industry publications. The publisher Multilingual Computing featured our announcement of a new "sourcing" platform in its email newsletter. Also, industry analysts Common Sense Advisory reports:

"The universe of translators is limited, so all [language companies] draw on the same pool of professionals. In many cases, they manage their own internal databases... Translators, on the other hand, want to distinguish themselves [so they send their CV's to companies]... All in all, this labor exchange is an inherently inefficient process...

We think that [ProZ.com] has the potential to eliminate some of the friction in the currently flawed employment system...

Until the acquisition of Trados by SDL the translation technology market had been dormant. Proz for Employers is one of the novel solutions..."
- Common Sense Advisory

Additional press coverage was obtained when the new platform was used to source professionals for a not-for-profit project in which subtitling of a film on 2006 Nobel Peace Prize winner Muhammad Yunus was performed into up to 100 languages with the help of ProZ.com professionals found using the new platform. See the press release.

Henry

Hi Henry,

I clicked on the link you've kindly provided and I can't find this report. The website refers to 2005 companies and ProZ is not included on that list. Please let us know where we can verify this information.

Regards,
Belkis

[Edited at 2006-12-19 05:39]

Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Already clarified Dec 19, 2006

BelkisDV wrote:

Hello Ivette,

I read the same thing on the Profile Updater and I submitted a Support Ticket about it, so it WAS there before. As far as I know you didn't misunderstand anything, it was there and I was annoyed at the fact that if you didn't want to give out private information you would be excluded from premium job bids and that uncertain directory that was mentioned. And I'm not igniting any fires here.

Belkis

Hi Belkis,

I already got this clarified (in the first page of this thread, by Henry). I am satisfied with the answer/clarification I received, so, like I said, I am looking forward to next year's improvements in Proz.

About the link of the report Henry quoted, here it is, just in case you didn't have a chance to find it yet:

http://www.commonsenseadvisory.com/news/global_watchtower_one.php?wat_id=326

Hope that helps.

Happy Holidays,

Ivette

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Quality and quantity Dec 19, 2006

Cilian O'Tuama wrote:

Ours is a community, a network, and as such it improves with the addition of each qualified professional. If that sounds like market-speak, look at it this way: when you need help with a Turkish yachting term, it would be helpful for there to be among our community professionals with expertise in the area.

The key word here is "professionals", but you should understand that we have to be interested both in quality and quantity. We are interested in quality - and sometimes quantity helps achieve quality.

Why would I? Why would you? I don't see any reason for you to regret anything you wrote. (If you meant harm with the first post, that fact was lost on me.)

BelkisDV
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanks Dec 19, 2006

Yvette,

Thanks for the link.

Rgds,
Belkis

BelkisDV
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Excellent Dec 19, 2006

Great Press Release Henry, congrats.

Success!
Belkis

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Years laters Mar 9, 2010

Henry D wrote:

Cilian O'Tuama wrote:

Ours is a community, a network, and as such it improves with the addition of each qualified professional.

Henry, the problem is that the "qualified professionals" are outnumbered by the "others", so the net result is a severe deterioration, not an improvement.

Wasted potential,
c

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Project Connect update (part 4): Milestone for charter program reached (+ press coverage received)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »