Job posted with low rates (staff: \"please think twice before posting this sort of message\")
Thread poster: Steffen Pollex (X)
Steffen Pollex (X)
Steffen Pollex (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:27
English to German
+ ...
Nov 12, 2002

http://www.proz.com/job?id=28541

Total amount EUR 26.00 (EUR 0.037 per word), deducted by a bank fee of approx. EUR 25.00 (or more, depends on the number of correspondent banks involved) for the transfer.

So, in the best case, you will earn a bottle of beer to kill your thirst after hard work. Bu it\'s very likely to turn out much worse. ...
See more
http://www.proz.com/job?id=28541

Total amount EUR 26.00 (EUR 0.037 per word), deducted by a bank fee of approx. EUR 25.00 (or more, depends on the number of correspondent banks involved) for the transfer.

So, in the best case, you will earn a bottle of beer to kill your thirst after hard work. Bu it\'s very likely to turn out much worse.

And their site on proz looks serious.

Salem

Steffen

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-11-12 11:38 ]
Collapse

Hans G. Liepert
Hans G. Liepert  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
My 4 cents worth Nov 12, 2002

\"Offer\" posted today ($ 0.04/word) by

[email protected]

Daemon-Reply:

: host 10.202.2.132[10.202.2.132] said: 550-Mailbox unknown.

Either there is no mailbox associated with this 550-name or you do not have

authorization to see it. 550 5.1.1 User unknown

sylvie malich (X)
sylvie malich (X)
Germany
German to English
Serious? Nov 12, 2002

\"And their site on proz looks serious.\"

If it wasn\'t for all their spelling and grammar mistakes... (shutter)

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
It says non-bidding job... Nov 12, 2002

...so I didn\'t bid .

nettranslatorde
nettranslatorde
Russian to German
+ ...
This one is nice, too. Nov 12, 2002

Steffen, don\'t get angry. There are lots of bids of this kind. Look at this one:

\"English>German 6500 Words!

English>German

6500 Words, English into German.

You need Trados.IT Related text.

0.04 USD per Word.

[email protected]\"

The poster of this job did not even give his name or contact addresses - and yet there are people wh
... See more
Steffen, don\'t get angry. There are lots of bids of this kind. Look at this one:

English>German

0.04 USD per Word.

[email protected]\"

The poster of this job did not even give his name or contact addresses - and yet there are people who bid on those \"jobs\".

What cane we do? Delete the posting and smile ....

Best regards,

Kerstin

[addsig]
Collapse

Klaus Herrmann
Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Non-bidding job? Nov 12, 2002

No-bidding job? Bummer!

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Not many will be able to bid anyway Nov 12, 2002

Quote:

Therefore some low prices( I mean those quite low comparing to average market prices) should be hinted

but not explicitly announced to avoid any price cutting behaviour or not to bother translators..

Tayfun,

Jobs offered at prices way below the average rates for the community (=market average, as far as ProZ is concerned) will hardly attract any bids at those prices because (1) members ... See more
Quote:

Therefore some low prices( I mean those quite low comparing to average market prices) should be hinted

but not explicitly announced to avoid any price cutting behaviour or not to bother translators..

Tayfun,

Jobs offered at prices way below the average rates for the community (=market average, as far as ProZ is concerned) will hardly attract any bids at those prices because (1) members who have entered rates are unlikely to use rock-bottom rates, due to the 250% min/max range and (2) those who haven\'t will be bound by the community average.

Bear in mind that the number of bids you see doesn\'t mean they\'re all that low. ▲ Collapse

Egmont
Egmont
Spain
Afrikaans to Spanish
+ ...
Lepanto... Nov 12, 2002

was not enough...as it seems..
[addsig]

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 10:27
SITE FOUNDER
Lets not compound the problem with assumptions, misuse of terms, acceptance of low rates Nov 12, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-11-12 11:32, Mouhannaya wrote:

English>German

0.04 USD per Word.\"

The poster of this job did not even give his name or contac... See more
Quote:

On 2002-11-12 11:32, Mouhannaya wrote:

English>German

0.04 USD per Word.\"

The poster of this job did not even give his name or contact addresses - and yet there are people who bid on those \"jobs\".

What cane we do? Delete the posting and smile ....

That is not a bid. It is a job posting. Please do not confuse the two. There is no indication that anyone \"bid\" what the agency requested. I repeat: just because a client asks for something, does not mean you must agree to it.

I would let these small errors slide, but having just returned from the ATA conference, I realize that this sort of misinformation travels. Several people reported having seen \"bids\" at rates such as 2 cts/wd. Of course, seeing others\' bids is impossible (unless you are an outsourcer.) Even then, 2-cent bids are rarely entered, since all but 1/2 of 1% of the community have made a hard-and-fast choice not to avail themselves of jobs at that rate.

The trouble with being careless or flippant about this issue is that some people might take the data to heart and act accordingly. Outsourcers might begin to expect 2-cent bids, and service providers might begin to offer them. So by posting \"Look -- another offensive job\" messages repeatedly, with the associated assumption that bidders are jumping to accept it, you really do a disservice to the industry.

Why not, instead, encourage people to bid their own rates, no matter what the outsourcer asks?

Put differently, the only rates competition at this site is in your head...and if it is your head, please keep it there! ▲ Collapse

RHELLER
RHELLER
United States
Local time: 08:27
French to English
+ ...
low rates Nov 12, 2002

Dear Henry,

Congratulations on your website - it is very attractive. Also, I really like the new visual with the beach and the bottle - my kind of paradise!

Re: low rates

While we cannot view bids, these rates can be seen on colleagues\' profiles (if one has published their own). I have checked on many in my own language pair only to find that pair along with many others advertised at $0.03/word!

Moreover, when
... See more
Dear Henry,

Congratulations on your website - it is very attractive. Also, I really like the new visual with the beach and the bottle - my kind of paradise!

While we cannot view bids, these rates can be seen on colleagues\' profiles (if one has published their own). I have checked on many in my own language pair only to find that pair along with many others advertised at $0.03/word!

Moreover, when I first found about this site, I applied at what I considered to be a \"respectable\" rate and was unable to get any response until I drastically lowered my rates.

I would have much preferred it the other way.

Thank you,

Rita Heller

P.S. I just posted similar thoughts on the parallel French Forum.

[addsig]
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 10:27
SITE FOUNDER
Simply not true Nov 12, 2002

Quote:

Moreover, when I first found about this site, I applied at what I considered to be a \"respectable\" rate and was unable to get any response until I dra... See more
Quote:

Moreover, when I first found about this site, I applied at what I considered to be a \"respectable\" rate and was unable to get any response until I drastically lowered my rates.

I would have much preferred it the other way.

Thank you,

Rita Heller

Your perception is not accurate, and your reaction is ill-advised.

As a platinum member, you have access to the rates charged in your pair. Please check it:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=rates_view

In French to English, 617 pros have entered rate data. The average maximum, target and minimum rates are 20 cts, 11 cts/wd and 8 cts, respectively. For hourly billing, the rates are $71, $35 and $28 (max, target, min).

Fewer than 1% of French to English translators registered here offer rates as low as 3 cents. Furthermore, few of these people are paying members--so their bidding is limited. Also, do not forget that we are talking about *minimums*. If you assume that a person always bids at his or her minimum, you would again be wrong.

If you doubt the above data, consider this: rates quoted can be assumed to be trustworthy, because once they are entered, a person has no opportunity to bid outside of his or her own range on this site.

The bottom line is that you should charge the rates you require to do good work and maintain your standard of living. If you do anything else, you are damaging yourself and the industry. ▲ Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Job posted with low rates (staff: \"please think twice before posting this sort of message\")

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »