Kudoz dilemma - can I close a question without awarding points? (Staff: \'yes\')
Thread poster: Mary McCusker
Mary McCusker
Mary McCusker  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:17
German to English
+ ...
Nov 14, 2002

I recently posted a Kudoz question, but in the end chose none of the answers, as none really fit the bill (I ended up getting expert advice from a lawyer). I added a note to this effect to my posting, but I keep getting emails asking me to grade the answers. Is there a way to close the posting without choosing an answer? It would simply not be fair to choose an answer that I didn\'t use.

Samantha Hoffmann
Samantha Hoffmann  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:17
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
Hi, Nov 14, 2002

I think you must choose the option \"decline this answer\" under each answer that has been provided.

I\'m not certain about it but maybe you can give it a try...

Sam

Elena Miguel
Elena Miguel  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
My experience Nov 14, 2002

I had the same dilemma some time ago. I ended up sending an e-mail to each person who tried to help me and explaing why I could not accept any answer, just to let them know that I was grateful to them.

Eva Blanar
Eva Blanar  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...

Hi, I had a similar problem already twice and I think there are two ways to get rid of the reminders:

- the radical solution is to delete the question itself,

- the opportunistic solution is to give one KudoZ point to the most acceptable one.

(In my case, declining answers did not work.)

HTH, Eva

tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
here's a previous discussion on the subject Nov 14, 2002

You may find this thread interesting:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&post=31751#31751

The proper procedure is to decline all answers that are not correct, and this should supposedly stop you from getting the messages (although I seem to recall that they kept coming). They do eventually stop, though. H
... See more
You may find this thread interesting:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&post=31751#31751

The proper procedure is to decline all answers that are not correct, and this should supposedly stop you from getting the messages (although I seem to recall that they kept coming). They do eventually stop, though. However, it will still show as an ungraded or open question.
Collapse

mckinnc
mckinnc  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Really irritating Nov 14, 2002

I have also had this problem where, despite assiduously declining all answers, I kept being pestered with e-mail about closing the question. I could only solve the problem by conacting a moderator and asking them to sort it out. I\'m not sure if the problem still occurs.

Elena Miguel
Elena Miguel  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...

I had the same dilemma some time ago. I ended up sending an e-mail to each person who tried to help me and explaing why I could not accept any answer, just to let them know that I was grateful to them.

Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
German to Romanian
+ ...
I have also declined all answers once Nov 14, 2002

And although I didn\'t get any reminders, it remained in my ungraded questions list until a few days ago. After several months when the question was listed as ungraded, it misteriously was accepted by someone and moved to the list of graded questions (together with another question that I have graded, but was in the list of ungraded questions). Thanks to the person who solved this.

Beth Kantus
Beth Kantus  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
Pick the closest one... Nov 14, 2002

I agree with Eva\'s 2nd suggestion - if none fit the bill exactly, how about choosing the one that came the closest, and awarding a point or two? I have had many cases in which I ultimately had to consult with an engineer on a technical term, but I always felt that those who took the time to try and help deserved at least some recognition for their efforts.

Just a suggestion....

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Don't accept anything that's incorrect... Nov 14, 2002

You should decline all answers - if there are too many (let\'s say, more than five), contact the moderator for the pair involved and ask him/her to squash the question.

yamamoto
yamamoto
Local time: 13:17
English to Japanese
mails stop coming in a month or so... Nov 14, 2002

I had a similar problem too, but the mail stops coming in a month or so.. so

-bear with it, or

-decline all the answers...(I know it is difficult to decline the answers, but it\'s better not to give an incorrect answer a Kudoz point..)

Beth Kantus
Beth Kantus  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
addendum Nov 14, 2002

...and to avoid confusion (as I should have added before) when doing so, you of course indicate the correct answer that you\'ve found and post it to the glossary as well.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Kudoz dilemma - can I close a question without awarding points? (Staff: \'yes\')

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »